Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StuffKnower View Post
    There was also the time in the comics where Amazo was completely de-powered because he was specifically able to mimic the powers of the Justice League, so the Atom disbanded the League, leaving Amazo shut down.
    Yup. Grant Morrison's stuff.

No pun intended.
    ----------------------------------
    "...the guy who went to 'Nam and never came back..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
    Yup. Grant Morrison's stuff.

No pun intended.
    That issue was written by his then writing partner Mark Millar iirc, who tends to use super invincible robots defeated by lame logic fails quite a bit. Not that Morrison hasnt written a few clangers, but that one's all on Millar.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    What do you base that fairly unsupportable opinion on? Thanos casually dismisses all of these fools.
    Well Thanos and Darkseid are usually considered to be close to one another in power. I've always thought they were close to the same power with Thanos maybe being a little stronger. I'm not counting PIS or them using any items to Increase their power.
    Last edited by Guy1; 02-02-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: We don't mention other sites on the board.
    "But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus, and always thus will be."

-Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society)

~Member Since: 09/25/2009~
    ~Old CBR Post Count: 834~

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome-X View Post
    Well Thanos and Darkseid are usually considered to be close to one another in power. But It depends what site you're on, some sites overrate Thanos and others overrate Darkseid. I've always thought they were close to the same power with Thanos maybe being a little stronger. I'm not counting PIS or them using any items to Increase their power.
    And neither are we.

Don't much care how it's done on other sites, there's actually a ruling against their invocation. But Thanos, beats Post-Crisis Darksied like Power Man shakes down fools that owe him money. Simple as.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome-X View Post
    Well Thanos and Darkseid are usually considered to be close to one another in power. But It depends what site you're on, some sites overrate Thanos and others overrate Darkseid. I've always thought they were close to the same power with Thanos maybe being a little stronger. I'm not counting PIS or them using any items to Increase their power.
    post crisis Darkseid is a guy whose omega effect got blocked by heat vision, bounced off of evil Mary Marvel, lost to Orion/ended up dying as a result of fighting him/had to take him out with external tech, was the most incompetent user of a particular power up of all the people who had it and lost repeatedly to Superman.

So..

I've always thought they were close to the same power with Thanos maybe being a little stronger.
    not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    That issue was written by his then writing partner Mark Millar iirc, who tends to use super invincible robots defeated by lame logic fails quite a bit. Not that Morrison hasnt written a few clangers, but that one's all on Millar.
    Indeed. Millar slid a solo in there on me.

Thank you.
    ----------------------------------
    "...the guy who went to 'Nam and never came back..."

I'm still having trouble believing this is such a stomp for Thanos. I thought he could win more likely than not, but it'd be a tough fight that'd test him. The DC team should have had a shot at least.

Breaking down his opponents:

Darkseid: Yes he was written poorly in the Post-Crisis world, but he did have a few good moments, such as around the time Superman was moving moons around and pushing lightspeed flight (around the OWAW storyline, bit before and after that time too), Darkseid was shown to be manhandling Superman like a child on a few occasions. It was the horrendous examples provided earlier in the thread that discredited the few awesome feats of his in the Post-Crisis era.

Despero: Here we have a guy who single handedly took on the combined might of the JLA and JSA, as well as at one time physically overpowering Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and Powergirl, as well as hold up the entire weight of the Rock of Eternity on his shoulders. Physically he's one of the strongest in the DCU. He also has telepathy that scares Martian Manhunter. Jonn is regarded as DC Earth's most powerful telepath. Despero has proved he's stronger.

Doomsday (Hunter/Prey): This guy beat Superman to death once, died himself, came back unkillable to the previous death and evolved to be even MORE stronger than Superman. This guy crash landed in Apokolips, the baddest planet in the DCU, and beat its God-King like a red-headed stepchild. He broke Superman's arm like it was a twig. He was evolving to Superman's attacks mid-blitz, and then LOL-noping any blitzes that followed. Was it Post-Crisis or Nu52 Doomsday that was killed by 100,000 Kryptonians? My memory is a little bit hazy on that feat.

Sinestro: Light speed travel. Near infinite possibilities in weaponry. Planet busting level forcefields. Utterly ruthless intellect/strategist. Firepower doesn't get much bigger than a Yellow Lantern. It remains to be seen whether Sinestro could actually do anything other than run interference against Thanos, however. Sinestro is, afterall, only slightly more powerful than your run of the mill Green Lantern. He's incredibly skilled and amongst the greatest ring-bearers in the universe, but power output wise he'd be around planet-buster levels. And Thanos can pretty much laugh off a planet busting attack.

Brainiac: Perhaps the DCU's most sophisticated tech user as well as enormously powerful telepath. Physically tough enough to manhandle Superman at times, he rarely relies on his physicality to win fights. He fucks them up with technology. However, Brainiac's tech, while impressive, isn't on Thanos' level. But it could be if Brainiac could learn and assimiliate from it. Adapt it to his own tech. Become part of Thanos' tech and take over. In this fight against Thanos, Brainiac would be trying to come in through the backdoor while the others take the frontal assault. Taking away Thanos' tech takes away a key weapon in his arsenal. He'd have to rely on just his biological powers, such as strength, invulnerability, cosmic energy manipulation etc etc. Thanos can still win with just these things really, but I guess a small victory for the DC team would be if Brainiac could fuck with Thanos' tech.

Black Adam: Stronger than Superman, just as fast, resistant to Martian Manhunter-level telepathy, took on almost every single DC Earthbound hero there is in a massive fight AND WON, has regularly team-wrecked the JSA, murdered 2 million people with his bare hands in a fit of rage, survived having a football-sized chunk of radioactive rock teleported directly into his brain, and if he really wanted to he could have conquered DC Earth at any time he liked. Thanos is gonna be eating MILLIONS of punches coming in at moon-busting strength EVERY SECOND. And that's just from Adam. That's not counting the other Kryptonian-level speedster on this team (Cyborg Superman).

Mongul (w/rings): Another one stronger than Superman, and now armed with 10 Sinestro Corps rings. So Mongul has gone mobile. Lightspeed travel, the combined might of 10 planet-busting rings, and the physical strength to dominate Kryptonians, Daxamites and Amazons in hand to hand combat.

Cyborg Superman: All of Superman's powers with the added bonus of technomorphy. Not quite the tech threat Brainiac is, Henshaw can still bring something to the table. He can absorb and adapt to any tech around him, plus morph himself into weapons if need be. And his weapons are pretty damn powerful. Maybe not enough to hurt Thanos, however. A distraction at best.

Lobo (w/ bike, extensive firepower and exotic space weaponry, hook and chain): Planet-busting weaponry, Superman-level strength, the ability to heal from a drop of blood, as well as clone another Lobo from a drop of blood. I see Lobo nuking the planet Thanos is on, flying in to clean up the scraps only to find Thanos still alive and unharmed, who then proceeds to beat the shit out of Lobo, pounding his face into mush and leaving blood sprayed all over the place. Then a hundred Lobo's grow out of the ground and dog pile Thanos, followed by another hundred, then another and so on and so on. Thanos would have to destroy the planet to get himself clear of the Lobo Clone Army.

Amazo: The combined might of the JLA (going with the Big 7- Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and Aquaman) as well as his new team mates listed here, even if he can't copy Thanos' powers, he's just now added the entire JLA's power sets to this fight, which most importantly includes the Flash (Wallly West). Now I don't know if Amazo gets the skills and experience having a superpower for a number of years gives you with that power set, so I'm sceptical as to whether Amazo can speed steal or IMP or any of the other esoteric powers Wally displayed with the Speedforce. Even if he just gets the lightspeed, Amazo is Thanos' biggest threat here.

With all this stacked might, I find it hard to believe Thanos, under just his own power, would stomp this line-up. The DC team would at least put up an epic fight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash666 View Post
    I'm still having trouble believing this is such a stomp for Thanos. I thought he could win more likely than not, but it'd be a tough fight that'd test him. The DC team should have had a shot at least.

Breaking down his opponents:

Darkseid: Yes he was written poorly in the Post-Crisis world, but he did have a few good moments, such as around the time Superman was moving moons around and pushing lightspeed flight (around the OWAW storyline, bit before and after that time too), Darkseid was shown to be manhandling Superman like a child on a few occasions. It was the horrendous examples provided earlier in the thread that discredited the few awesome feats of his in the Post-Crisis era.

Despero: Here we have a guy who single handedly took on the combined might of the JLA and JSA, as well as at one time physically overpowering Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and Powergirl, as well as hold up the entire weight of the Rock of Eternity on his shoulders. Physically he's one of the strongest in the DCU. He also has telepathy that scares Martian Manhunter. Jonn is regarded as DC Earth's most powerful telepath. Despero has proved he's stronger.

Doomsday (Hunter/Prey): This guy beat Superman to death once, died himself, came back unkillable to the previous death and evolved to be even MORE stronger than Superman. This guy crash landed in Apokolips, the baddest planet in the DCU, and beat its God-King like a red-headed stepchild. He broke Superman's arm like it was a twig. He was evolving to Superman's attacks mid-blitz, and then LOL-noping any blitzes that followed. Was it Post-Crisis or Nu52 Doomsday that was killed by 100,000 Kryptonians? My memory is a little bit hazy on that feat.

Sinestro: Light speed travel. Near infinite possibilities in weaponry. Planet busting level forcefields. Utterly ruthless intellect/strategist. Firepower doesn't get much bigger than a Yellow Lantern. It remains to be seen whether Sinestro could actually do anything other than run interference against Thanos, however. Sinestro is, afterall, only slightly more powerful than your run of the mill Green Lantern. He's incredibly skilled and amongst the greatest ring-bearers in the universe, but power output wise he'd be around planet-buster levels. And Thanos can pretty much laugh off a planet busting attack.

Brainiac: Perhaps the DCU's most sophisticated tech user as well as enormously powerful telepath. Physically tough enough to manhandle Superman at times, he rarely relies on his physicality to win fights. He fucks them up with technology. However, Brainiac's tech, while impressive, isn't on Thanos' level. But it could be if Brainiac could learn and assimiliate from it. Adapt it to his own tech. Become part of Thanos' tech and take over. In this fight against Thanos, Brainiac would be trying to come in through the backdoor while the others take the frontal assault. Taking away Thanos' tech takes away a key weapon in his arsenal. He'd have to rely on just his biological powers, such as strength, invulnerability, cosmic energy manipulation etc etc. Thanos can still win with just these things really, but I guess a small victory for the DC team would be if Brainiac could fuck with Thanos' tech.

Black Adam: Stronger than Superman, just as fast, resistant to Martian Manhunter-level telepathy, took on almost every single DC Earthbound hero there is in a massive fight AND WON, has regularly team-wrecked the JSA, murdered 2 million people with his bare hands in a fit of rage, survived having a football-sized chunk of radioactive rock teleported directly into his brain, and if he really wanted to he could have conquered DC Earth at any time he liked. Thanos is gonna be eating MILLIONS of punches coming in at moon-busting strength EVERY SECOND. And that's just from Adam. That's not counting the other Kryptonian-level speedster on this team (Cyborg Superman).

Mongul (w/rings): Another one stronger than Superman, and now armed with 10 Sinestro Corps rings. So Mongul has gone mobile. Lightspeed travel, the combined might of 10 planet-busting rings, and the physical strength to dominate Kryptonians, Daxamites and Amazons in hand to hand combat.

Cyborg Superman: All of Superman's powers with the added bonus of technomorphy. Not quite the tech threat Brainiac is, Henshaw can still bring something to the table. He can absorb and adapt to any tech around him, plus morph himself into weapons if need be. And his weapons are pretty damn powerful. Maybe not enough to hurt Thanos, however. A distraction at best.

Lobo (w/ bike, extensive firepower and exotic space weaponry, hook and chain): Planet-busting weaponry, Superman-level strength, the ability to heal from a drop of blood, as well as clone another Lobo from a drop of blood. I see Lobo nuking the planet Thanos is on, flying in to clean up the scraps only to find Thanos still alive and unharmed, who then proceeds to beat the shit out of Lobo, pounding his face into mush and leaving blood sprayed all over the place. Then a hundred Lobo's grow out of the ground and dog pile Thanos, followed by another hundred, then another and so on and so on. Thanos would have to destroy the planet to get himself clear of the Lobo Clone Army.

Amazo: The combined might of the JLA (going with the Big 7- Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern and Aquaman) as well as his new team mates listed here, even if he can't copy Thanos' powers, he's just now added the entire JLA's power sets to this fight, which most importantly includes the Flash (Wallly West). Now I don't know if Amazo gets the skills and experience having a superpower for a number of years gives you with that power set, so I'm sceptical as to whether Amazo can speed steal or IMP or any of the other esoteric powers Wally displayed with the Speedforce. Even if he just gets the lightspeed, Amazo is Thanos' biggest threat here.

With all this stacked might, I find it hard to believe Thanos, under just his own power, would stomp this line-up. The DC team would at least put up an epic fight.
    I don't see Thanos beating all of these beings at once.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Unless Amazo can copy Thanos (which seems pretty no-limity), Thanos can one-shot almost everyone here, and can certainly kill the others. Meanwhile, they can do between "jack" and "shit" to him.

He's shown to be laughably immune to telepathic assault, reality warping and, obviously, planet-busting damage. Some of these guys are planet-busters? No problem, the side-effects of a Thanos fist-fight with Drax destroy bigger-than-Earth planets. Meaning the shot itself was at least somewhere over that level, that that didn't take the grin off of his face. The Silver Surfer, confirmed casual planet buster, goes all-out to take Thanos off the board, and Thanos makes a quip before beating the dude who relaxes inside black holes to death with his fists.

And even if they manage to hurt the guy, well, his regen/molecular control is insane. He comes right back from being turned to glass and shattered. He comes right back from being liquified and melting.

So, like I said, unless Amazo can copy him (in which case superspeed Thanozo beats regular Thanos), Thanos stomps.

Darkseid: Yes he was written poorly in the Post-Crisis world, but he did have a few good moments, such as around the time Superman was moving moons around and pushing lightspeed flight (around the OWAW storyline, bit before and after that time too), Darkseid was shown to be manhandling Superman like a child on a few occasions. It was the horrendous examples provided earlier in the thread that discredited the few awesome feats of his in the Post-Crisis era.]
    The horrendous examples kept happening and happening to the point that it became the new normal.

He's not stronger than Superman. Based on what little there is to go on (his fights, basically, Adam hasn't done eff all outside of them strength wise that I can think of) dude is as strong, more or less. And all due respect to your allcaps, moon busting does not register on the radar of Thanos' durability, his blitzing Thanos is going to accomplish a whole lot of nothing.

DCU ultimately copped out on that mo rings equal mo power. I wouldn't really call post crisis Mongul stronger than Superman on any consistent level.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 02-03-2015 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Manly View Post
    Irrelevant to the battle ( Thanos wins) but the explanation for Darkseid having poor showings later on in his career was because of Wonder Woman inserting a part of her soul in him at the end of OWAW, which supposedly depowered him
    Where, just to pick out an example, is any of that given as the reason for his fundamental incompetence with the anti life equasion in Final Crisis, needing to take out Orion with external tech and otherwise starting off that entire event as dying as the result of fighting him?
    Last edited by Pendaran; 02-03-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Unless he can actually willfully lower his own physical durability, that doesn't excuse any number of things that happened to Darkseid. It frankly sounds really thin as is.

Unless Amazo can copy Thanos (which seems pretty no-limity), Thanos can one-shot almost everyone here, and can certainly kill the others. Meanwhile, they can do between "jack" and "shit" to him.

He's shown to be laughably immune to telepathic assault, reality warping and, obviously, planet-busting damage. Some of these guys are planet-busters? No problem, the side-effects of a Thanos fist-fight with Drax destroy bigger-than-Earth planets. Meaning the shot itself was at least somewhere over that level, that that didn't take the grin off of his face. The Silver Surfer, confirmed casual planet buster, goes all-out to take Thanos off the board, and Thanos makes a quip before beating the dude who relaxes inside black holes to death with his fists.

And even if they manage to hurt the guy, well, his regen/molecular control is insane. He comes right back from being turned to glass and shattered. He comes right back from being liquified and melting.

So, like I said, unless Amazo can copy him (in which case superspeed Thanozo beats regular Thanos), Thanos stomps.
    One incarnation of Amazo copied half the power of the Worlogog before Hourman defeated him. Even half the power of the Worlogog is above Thanos level so he shouldn't have a problem copying his powers.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Eh, that gets into the whole "high-end feats consistent with presentation" - plus, as you point out yourself, it didn't work. Any feats for him actually copying anyone near Thanos' level?

Eh, that gets into the whole "high-end feats consistent with presentation" - plus, as you point out yourself, it didn't work. Any feats for him actually copying anyone near Thanos' level?
    It did work. Even half the Worlogog is more than enough to copy Thanos' powers.

But aside from Amazo pulling this off, Thanos should take the majority.