Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1715

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I mean, my biggest problem was the fact that she was actually blackout drunk. But even without the shirtless guy, her love life was a real mess in the Burnside run, until she started dating Batwing (poor Luke). It seems like that first issue, even though it's the creative team's favorite, just had some real misjudgements.
    So basically like real life.

That's what I liked about the run. Compared to other runs in different books, it seemed more like what actually more or less happens in life (minus the crime fighting stuff)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post

That's what I liked about the run. Compared to other runs in different books, it seemed more like what actually more or less happens in life (minus the crime fighting stuff)
    Fair enough. I prefer aspirational books, rather than descriptive books. But I'm definitely not the target audience for this run. I just want to be, since I love Babs in many iterations.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I don't think it's unrealistic for people in the age group they were depicting Babs as in that book, but I also don't think it was a very sensible character moment for Barbara Gordon.

Except it was out of character with the Barbara Gordon that had ever been presented earlier, and was part of an ongoing erasure of the experience that she had amassed as both Batgirl and Oracle (that IMO started right after Simone left the New52 Batgirl).

That was the point though. To try to present the character differently then what we have seen with them before. They weren’t presenting a 30 year old Oracle anymore, but a 21 year old modern day Batgirl.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-18-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's unrealistic for people in the age group they were depicting Babs as in that book, but I also don't think it was a very sensible character moment for Barbara Gordon.
    Drinking a lot and hooking up with randoms ain't a sensible thing by any means. The amount of money I spent on those nights....

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Except it was out of character with the Barbara Gordon that had ever been presented earlier, and was part of an ongoing erasure of the experience that she had amassed as both Batgirl and Oracle (that IMO started right after Simone left the New52 Batgirl).
    Hey doesn't mean a character can't have changes. Didn't erase what she did beforehand, it's just a different style.

Fair enough. I prefer aspirational books, rather than descriptive books. But I'm definitely not the target audience for this run. I just want to be, since I love Babs in many iterations.
    That's perfectly fair.

I am not a fan of the dark, grim Batgirl but as long as people are enjoying stuff, it's cool.
    Last edited by Vinsanity; 08-18-2018 at 03:16 AM.

That's perfectly fair.

I am not a fan of the dark, grim Batgirl but as long as people are enjoying stuff, it's cool.
    I'm not advocating a return to Simone's type of Batgirl. My favorite Babs Batgirl is Year One - I don't mind a light tone, but I don't think that necessarily means Babs can't be more sensible and mature.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I'm not advocating a return to Simone's type of Batgirl. My favorite Babs Batgirl is Year One - I don't mind a light tone, but I don't think that necessarily means Babs can't be more sensible and mature.
    Oh I never said you were. I'm just saying that there are so many different versions of a character you can get. As long as the character does well, even if it doesn't suit my tastes, I'm cool with if since others can enjoy it.

On the sensible and mature part, alcohol makes you do some weird things. I think I used to have a road sign somewhere in my house.

Drinking a lot and hooking up with randoms ain't a sensible thing by any means. The amount of money I spent on those nights...
    Which is why I have a hard time seeing Barbara Gordon partaking in it .

(I mean, if Gordon's a teetotaler, and Bruce likely is, I'd be surprised if she isn't).

One thing I did observe is that both Dick and Babs have the same view of relationships. I mean Dick has quite a few love interests but he had intentions to pursue something deeper, and with Babs she doesn't waste her time with relationships that don't go anywhere. Which is why Burnside annoyed me. I don't mind the amount of love interests to a degree, but it was the lack of quality of love interests. I can't recall anyone's name except Luke and that's because he's previously established as his own character. If I can't remember their names then I don't think the writers served Barbara's story. I'm a big fan of comicbook romance, which is why I've been attached to the more stable relationships of Arthur and Mera and more recently Dinah and Ollie in Percy's run, so to see that trope in my favorite genre being underdeveloped is a bit deflating.

Also I don't mind Babs drinking or just being a bit more carefree in general, but I need to recognize her when they do so. I don't what to retrain my perspective of character to suit dull writing.

Anyways, Scott is off to a good start. I look forward to more Jim and more family drama. I'm also interested to see the new costume in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which is why I have a hard time seeing Barbara Gordon partaking in it .

(I mean, if Gordon's a teetotaler, and Bruce likely is, I'd be surprised if she isn't).
    Friends can be very persuasive.

Oh I never said you were. I'm just saying that there are so many different versions of a character you can get. As long as the character does well, even if it doesn't suit my tastes, I'm cool with if since others can enjoy it.

On the sensible and mature part, alcohol makes you do some weird things. I think I used to have a road sign somewhere in my house.
    There are definitely many versions of characters. My argument with regards to Burnside is, except for the relaunches (first arc or so), the concept hasn't really held enough of an audience to convince me that Babs is doing well in that iteration.

Friends can be very persuasive.
    I've always seen Babs as the influencer/persuader in her group of friends, rather than the reverse. I mean, one of my favorite plotlines in Birds of Prey, where Babs tries to control Helena's life and convince her that killing is wrong, is all about her being very much an initiator, to the point of slipping into manipulation. And then her redemption and healing of her relationship with Helena is so great.

From the November solicitations...love this!

93B869E8-059D-4383-A8E6-166217C44450.jpg

Ya, Murphy is great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    From the November solicitations...love this!

93B869E8-059D-4383-A8E6-166217C44450.jpg
    Hey, she's lost those stupid Doc Martens booties! Great!