Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1715

This is a new article/interview about Batgirl with new writer MAIRGHREAD SCOTT.
    Sounds very promising, I'm so glad Burnside is behind Babs and now we will be getting a more darker serious Batgirl again. I just hope Batgirl will get her cowl back ASAP!
    https://nerdist.com/batgirl-mairghre...arbara-gordon/

Sounds very promising, I'm so glad Burnside is behind Babs and now we will be getting a more darker serious Batgirl again. I just hope Batgirl will get her cowl back ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    I disagree. I liked Burnside Babs.

It was a nice, different, lighter tone that worked well.

I'll still read Batgirl to give it a go.

Another side of Barbara Gordon we should not forget: the teacher and mentor.
    Babs+Cassandra.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I disagree. I liked Burnside Babs.

It was a nice, different, lighter tone that worked well.
    Babs was never in-character during the Burnside era. Far too youthful and the stories were marketed towards a hipster audience, it was too jarring to enjoy or take with any degree of seriousness.

I don't think going in a darker direction will help Babs much either because she simply isn't the same Babs she was pre-flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Babs was never in-character during the Burnside era. Far too youthful and the stories were marketed towards a hipster audience, it was too jarring to enjoy or take with any degree of seriousness.

I don't think going in a darker direction will help Babs much either because she simply isn't the same Babs she was pre-flashpoint.
    Yeah but a character can be a little different. That's why I like Burnside. It's a different tone. Nothing wrong about being a hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Yeah but a character can be a little different. That's why I like Burnside. It's a different tone. Nothing wrong about being a hipster.
    The tone's not the issue. The issue a lot of posters have expressed about Burnside Babs is that she is so far from all earlier depictions of her, and that's going back to Barbara Gordon's first appearances in the comic, where she already had finished school and started a successful civilian career. Then she got shot by the Joker, picked up her pieces of her life and built a role within the superhero community that included her being a peer to every single one of the Justice League. She created and managed her own superhero team.

All that history, personality, and lived experience is missing from Burnside Babs.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The tone's not the issue. The issue a lot of posters have expressed about Burnside Babs is that she is so far from all earlier depictions of her, and that's going back to Barbara Gordon's first appearances in the comic, where she already had finished school and started a successful civilian career. Then she got shot by the Joker, picked up her pieces of her life and built a role within the superhero community that included her being a peer to every single one of the Justice League. She created and managed her own superhero team.

All that history, personality, and lived experience is missing from Burnside Babs.
    I think tone was kind of the issue to some degree, since the stories seemed to be skewing more towards a kind of younger-skewing style and tone that seemed out-of-place with the other Bat-Books.

I mean, Steph's Batgirl was kind of a Millennial Batgirl but (and I think Millernumber agrees with me on this) her stories had more weight and didn't feel as out-of-place as the Burnside Batgirl does.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think tone was kind of the issue to some degree, since the stories seemed to be skewing more towards a kind of younger-skewing style and tone that seemed out-of-place with the other Bat-Books.

I mean, Steph's Batgirl was kind of a Millennial Batgirl but (and I think Millernumber agrees with me on this) her stories had more weight and didn't feel as out-of-place as the Burnside Batgirl does.
    I agree 100% with you.

I think the problem isn't being all-ages, or the costume. I think the problem is the stories don't inspire or engage, they just sort of exist pleasantly on a very shallow level, while Babs as Batgirl and Oracle is capable of so much more. I always ask this of fans of Burnside, and I still haven't quite been able to understand - what is iconic or meaningful about the Burnside run (including Larson's)? What villains, conflicts, or character development has occurred that will stick with Babs?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree 100% with you.

I think the problem isn't being all-ages, or the costume. I think the problem is the stories don't inspire or engage, they just sort of exist pleasantly on a very shallow level, while Babs as Batgirl and Oracle is capable of so much more. I always ask this of fans of Burnside, and I still haven't quite been able to understand - what is iconic or meaningful about the Burnside run (including Larson's)? What villains, conflicts, or character development has occurred that will stick with Babs?
    Really, it's probably just the costume when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Really, it's probably just the costume when you think about it.
    That's what I'm saying. And the costume is sadly too attached to the shallowness of the two runs attached to it at this point. In 10 years, I'll be someone will pull it back out and do a great retro run, like Batgirl Year One, but for now...I think we need a new start and new look for Babs to really get the following she deserves.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That's what I'm saying. And the costume is sadly too attached to the shallowness of the two runs attached to it at this point. In 10 years, I'll be someone will pull it back out and do a great retro run, like Batgirl Year One, but for now...I think we need a new start and new look for Babs to really get the following she deserves.
    Personally the only way I see the Burnside suit surviving is as a "prototype" suit, although I'd be lying if I said my own bias didn't effect my opinion there.

Burside become more all ages like with Larson, but the original run wasnt really all ages despite the cartoony villains.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-17-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yea, they opened with Barbara woke up pantsless with a hangover after a night making out drunk with a shirtless guy, and people got angry because "my Babs is not a slut"
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-17-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yea, they opened with Barbara woke up pantsless with a hangover after a night making out drunk with a shirtless guy, and people got angry because "my Babs is not a slut"
    I mean, my biggest problem was the fact that she was actually blackout drunk. But even without the shirtless guy, her love life was a real mess in the Burnside run, until she started dating Batwing (poor Luke). It seems like that first issue, even though it's the creative team's favorite, just had some real misjudgements.