Page 6 of 115 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Was I the only one wishing that at the end of Batman and Batgirl #21 Babs actually put that suit on, just for one panel? I'm sure it would have been way too small for her.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Amazing Member

I've always loved Batgirl! Barbara doesn't get enough love.

BANNED

Loving the new suit.

BANNED

Honestly, more I think about it, more I love it. Can't remember the last time I was this interested in a new story about Barbara- maybe when it came out Johns would be using some of his All-Star Batgirl plans in the next Earth One volume?

Ultimate Member

I actually fine the concept of a snap-on cape to be a really good one. If you get it snagged on something, or if a villain tries to grab it and throw you off-balance, then the cape just comes off. It's kind of brilliant really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I actually fine the concept of a snap-on cape to be a really good one. If you get it snagged on something, or if a villain tries to grab it and throw you off-balance, then the cape just comes off. It's kind of brilliant really.
    Well, she learned from the pro.

Heh, one of fan-art pieces plays with that idea...

Here's a Batgirl/Spider-Gwen mash up by Ron Chan.

I love this costume. Practical but not to the point of boring, yet not oversexualized.

Though now there are accusations her being "hipster". Now I've never kept up with Batgirl, so how exactly was Barbara during the New 52 so far that people would be upset at this personality change. Aside from it being New 52?

Ultimate Member

It is a pretty big tone shift, but a welcome one imo. The book has been pretty much unrelentingly bleak and depressing from day 1. Babs cannot catch a break and just as it seems that she was never happy. It made Bendis's Daredevil look bright and optimistic by comparison. It made me want to drink every time that I read an issue. That may work for Batman, or Daredevil, or Batwoma, etc, but it just didn't work for Batgirl, at least to me. I fully expect that she'll still face tough stuff and that there will be dark elements/moments. It just won't be so completely depressing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Though now there are accusations her being "hipster". Now I've never kept up with Batgirl, so how exactly was Barbara during the New 52 so far that people would be upset at this personality change. Aside from it being New 52?
    It seems kinda hipster to me. But I don't view that as a bad thing at all. Babs strikes me as the sort of girl who would probably be into that sort of stuff if she was a real young woman around nowadays- thick-rimmed glasses, coffee shops, carrying around an iPad or a Mac, possibly a slightly retro taste in clothing... it says a lot about someone's personality without needing to say much at all.

Astonishing Member

It is a pretty big tone shift, but a welcome one imo. The book has been pretty much unrelentingly bleak and depressing from day 1. Babs cannot catch a break and just as it seems that she was never happy. It made Bendis's Daredevil look bright and optimistic by comparison. It made me want to drink every time that I read an issue. That may work for Batman, or Daredevil, or Batwoma, etc, but it just didn't work for Batgirl, at least to me. I fully expect that she'll still face tough stuff and that there will be dark elements/moments. It just won't be so completely depressing.
    This is what really angers me.

Simone would have loved to write lighter stories but she never got the chance. Grim and gritty was an editorial mandate. Simone leaves due to creative differences with the editor and (POOF) everything changes like magic! Grim and gritty is out with the old editor.

I love this costume. Practical but not to the point of boring, yet not oversexualized.
    Costumes, like artists, come and go. If you love it enjoy it while you can.

I am glad that Barbara/Batgirl is getting a lot of positive attention.

A part of me wonders if that is because this new design debuted when DC started showcasing their selfie variant covers. A lot of books have them, but people seem to be paying special attention to Babs as if it actually says something about her chracter, and is not just another variant cover.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

My excitement for Batgirl has been reinvigorated. I'm loving all of this fanart that's sprouting up with her new costume.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Honestly, more I think about it, more I love it. Can't remember the last time I was this interested in a new story about Barbara- maybe when it came out Johns would be using some of his All-Star Batgirl plans in the next Earth One volume?
    Is he still going through with using her in the next volume? It would be pretty great to see how he'd portray her.