Page 77 of 115 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1715

Y'know, I'm honestly morbidly curious to see how Barbara returning to Batgirl in Post-Crisis would've gone down.

Would Simone have still written it? Would it be different from the New 52?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, I'm honestly morbidly curious to see how Barbara returning to Batgirl in Post-Crisis would've gone down.

Would Simone have still written it? Would it be different from the New 52?
    I just wonder if the Batgirl fan-wars would be less bloody or even bloodier if Steph didn't have a hat in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I just wonder if the Batgirl fan-wars would be less bloody or even bloodier if Steph didn't have a hat in the ring.
    Honestly...maybe?

I loved Steph as Batgirl, and she may never have gotten a chance as a solo star otherwise, but if she'd stayed Spoiler and not become Batgirl...well, it might not have complicated things to the point where DC threw her in limbo for so long like they did Cass.

She basically re-constructed the Batgirl role in a way DC probably would've liked to have done with Babs too, which likely didn't help.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I don't know. A world where Steph didn't get to be Batgirl would be a very different one. She would have been a continuing supporting character to Tim, likely sidelined because of Tam Fox, so my investment in her would be strong, but there wouldn't be as much of a hook for me to hang onto. The Robin and Batgirl wars don't seem to be really strongly connected, so I feel that unless Steph was a solid supporting character for Cass or Babs (whoever got the Batgirl cowl) - OR if she were given a spot on a reformed Birds of Prey, the fandom would be the same as it was during her days in Tim's title - small, but intense.

Honestly...maybe?

I loved Steph as Batgirl, and she may never have gotten a chance as a solo star otherwise, but if she'd stayed Spoiler and not become Batgirl...well, it might not have complicated things to the point where DC threw her in limbo for so long like they did Cass.

She basically re-constructed the Batgirl role in a way DC probably would've liked to have done with Babs too, which likely didn't help.
    I think if Steph had stayed a supporting character for Tim, there might have been a bigger chance of her not being erased completely, but given that they basically shoved Tim completely into the Teen Titans world, and almost completely excluded him from Gotham until Batman Eternal (barring guest appearances, all of which emphasize that his main life is in the Titans), there's really not much of a chance. As far as I know (not having read more than 5 n52 Teen Titans issues), none of Tim's other cast showed up from his solo titles. So she might not have been erased, but other than the persistent fan rumor (that I totally forgot to ask Tynion about) that Steph or Cass were originally supposed to fill Harper Row's spot in Batman, I don't know where they could have fit. I could see Steph fitting relatively easily into Harper's spot. Cass...I'm not sure. I think that part would have to be heavily re-tooled if Snyder had really intended to use Cass.

The fact that Steph and Burnside Babs are constantly compared (by the creative team as well) does lend support to your last point, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I know this is a very common theory, but has anyone ever actually confirmed it?
    No, but it fits the evidence and there is nothing to disprove it.

There was a book titled "Oracle: The Cure" for crying out loud.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Barbara Gordon

Last edited by CPSparkles; 10-04-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Bat Family by Afterlife

By sonofabat

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

Where is this from?

It is from Booster Gold #5 No Joke

Where is this from?
    from booster gold 005

If oracle became batgirl again and not steph they would be little backlash as people would never have known the possibility of Steph batgirl and never the chance to read the wonderful Bryan Q Miller series. She would likely still be a supporting character in BoP, batgirl and red robin although the direction of the bat books at the time would have likely changed dramatically. The problem they have now is Steph's series achieved what they are currently trying to do to babs. Babs post new fifty two went form too dark to too light to too confusing and struggling to get an identity, whilst Steph's book achieved the balance with great reliability.

like with everything like this it would be interesting if DC realised some unused pitches, concept art etc. now it definitely won't be used again. Or even interviews.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    If oracle became batgirl again and not steph they would be little backlash as people would never have known the possibility of Steph batgirl and never the chance to read the wonderful Bryan Q Miller series. She would likely still be a supporting character in BoP, batgirl and red robin although the direction of the bat books at the time would have likely changed dramatically. The problem they have now is Steph's series achieved what they are currently trying to do to babs. Babs post new fifty two went form too dark to too light to too confusing and struggling to get an identity, whilst Steph's book achieved the balance with great reliability.

like with everything like this it would be interesting if DC realised some unused pitches, concept art etc. now it definitely won't be used again. Or even interviews.
    I think Barbara is being experimented on too much. Barbara is pretty perfect in BTAS, Batgirl Year One and a lot of older issues. There is a baseline available for Barbara as Batgirl.

I've been always against the view that for Barbara writers had no clear vision or had no idea what to do with the character when she's Batgirl, but past history aside she's had successful stories and adaptations.

Barbara's current writing sucks. Barbara just needs to get back her own basics. Personally with all the stuff Babs had to face with bad writing, I think she needs a seasoned writer. I'm kind of over her being used as a starting point for people breaking into the industry. Not against anything newbies having success or anything, it's just their formulas aren't working for Babs.

Bryan Q Miller is a good writer, but he really changed Steph for his vision of Batgirl, not it was a bad change but she became different. Same with Babs. Every writer has a different interpretation. Some work, others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I think Barbara is being experimented on too much. Barbara is pretty perfect in BTAS, Batgirl Year One and a lot of older issues. There is a baseline available for Barbara as Batgirl.

I've been always against the view that for Barbara writers had no clear vision or had no idea what to do with the character when she's Batgirl, but past history aside she's had successful stories and adaptations.

Barbara's current writing sucks. Barbara just needs to get back her own basics. Personally with all the stuff Babs had to face with bad writing, I think she needs a seasoned writer. I'm kind of over her being used as a starting point for people breaking into the industry. Not against anything newbies having success or anything, it's just their formulas aren't working for Babs.

Bryan Q Miller is a good writer, but he really changed Steph for his vision of Batgirl, not it was a bad change but she became different. Same with Babs. Every writer has a different interpretation. Some work, others not so much.
    True, I really need to read batgirl year one soon. As for BTAS i liked Barbara and thought she was well represented even if she wasn't my favourite character by far.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown