Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Help! Thoughts on SM comics to purchase?

Looking to start a small collection and was curious everyone's opinions on which key issues will be the wisest investments? I've heard varying opinions. Black Cat? Venom? Carnage? Annual #1? Obviously with the prices I will be starting slow, however was curious as to thoughts on which issues to go after first.

Thanks everyone!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

If it's a question of the best received stories, then I can recommend Kraven's Last Hunt, a brilliant self contained tale which elevated a B-List Spidey villain to legendary status as Kraven aims to prove he is Spider-Man's better. If you're interested in Venom and Carnage then Venom's opening story (which should be in the Birth of Venom collection) is good. Maximum Carnage is probably the best Carnage tale though recent minis with Carnage have been well received too.

The new run on ASM has placed Black Cat in a predominant role in its first arc, abeit more as a villain due to the events of Superior Spider-Man.

You should look into reading Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1-12 by Mark Millar (available in a single trade). It's one of the best Spidey sagas in recent years and deals with Spidey running a gauntlet of his toughest foes. Black Cat and two new hosts for the Venom symbiote after Eddie Brock are also part of the storyline.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great read for anyone, starts from the beginning in a brand-new universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    You should look into reading Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1-12 by Mark Millar (available in a single trade). It's one of the best Spidey sagas in recent years and deals with Spidey running a gauntlet of his toughest foes. Black Cat and two new hosts for the Venom symbiote after Eddie Brock are also part of the storyline.
    Agreed with this.

This doesn't seem to be a group that picks comics as investments. My recommendation is to go with acclaimed stories, if you like reading the stuff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Looking to start a small collection and was curious everyone's opinions on which key issues will be the wisest investments? I've heard varying opinions. Black Cat? Venom? Carnage? Annual #1? Obviously with the prices I will be starting slow, however was curious as to thoughts on which issues to go after first.

Thanks everyone!
    What price do you consider low? If you can give me an idea of what you're willing to spend, I can list some of the keys for you.

I think it depends on what you want for your collection. I reccomend the Scarlet Spider series by Yost and JMS's run.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Start from the beginning by buying Masterworks or Essentials.

007 girl.

Thanks everyone!
    If you're talking investment definitely start with issues from the silver-age. Venom (Spidey #300) is also a hot book but I prefer the classics by Ditko and especially Romita by far.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    What price do you consider low? If you can give me an idea of what you're willing to spend, I can list some of the keys for you.
    Thanks! I'm willing to spend MAX (probably) $300.00 per issue... Would getting a lesser quality (G, VG) (that is around my price range) copy of a normlly higher priced silver age, etc issue be worth the investment? Or is it smarter to get the best copy possible (even if a newer age comic) within my price range?

Thanks!

BANNED

I have to qualify this by saying I believe you should buy the comics you enjoy reading. Buying comics for investment is just like buying stocks - a lot of factors come into play, many that can't be predicted. You could score big for sure but you could also lose a lot of money very, very quickly. now with my dire warning out of the way here's my two cents - buy the best condition you possibly can, especially if it is from the last 30 years or so. If it's the last 30 years or so, I'd say you'd need a minimum grade of Very Fine to be worthwhile as far as increasing in value. Any lesser grade there is probably way too many other copies available. ASM 194 is appreciating nicely and is still relatively cheap. If Silk or Spider-Gwen turn out to be winners long term their recent first appearances could be increase considerably. Spider-Gwen's 1st appearance is super hot right now as we speak but will cool off real quick if her title underperforms.

007 girl.

Thanks! I'm willing to spend MAX (probably) $300.00 per issue... Would getting a lesser quality (G, VG) (that is around my price range) copy of a normlly higher priced silver age, etc issue be worth the investment? Or is it smarter to get the best copy possible (even if a newer age comic) within my price range?

Thanks!
    You'd want key issues...first appearances of key villains...death of Gwen Stacy, other first appearances like Punisher. Those go well north of $300 for books in high-grade but they've stood the test of time too.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    You'd want key issues...first appearances of key villains...death of Gwen Stacy, other first appearances like Punisher. Those go well north of $300 for books in high-grade but they've stood the test of time too.
    Thanks everyone. Thoughts on ASM 361 w/ first appearance of Carnage? ASM Annual #1?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    I have to qualify this by saying I believe you should buy the comics you enjoy reading. Buying comics for investment is just like buying stocks - a lot of factors come into play, many that can't be predicted. You could score big for sure but you could also lose a lot of money very, very quickly. now with my dire warning out of the way here's my two cents - buy the best condition you possibly can, especially if it is from the last 30 years or so. If it's the last 30 years or so, I'd say you'd need a minimum grade of Very Fine to be worthwhile as far as increasing in value. Any lesser grade there is probably way too many other copies available. ASM 194 is appreciating nicely and is still relatively cheap. If Silk or Spider-Gwen turn out to be winners long term their recent first appearances could be increase considerably. Spider-Gwen's 1st appearance is super hot right now as we speak but will cool off real quick if her title underperforms.
    Anyone think First app of Carnage would be a good buy? 361?