Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    But their histories aren't going to be merged or their memories altered, Battleworld will simply have these separate realities alongside each other. So everything still counts.

And Marvel writers have had over fifty years to tell stories on Earth, Battleworld will give them something very all new and very all different (wink wink) without resorting to the New 52 style reboot. And if they really want stories in a more traditional setting they can do an MCU line to replace the Ultimate one. I know some people feel an MCU line would be limited but I honestly feel like there's a lot they could do if they had the right scope.
    Battleworld would be a hot mess as a permanent setting, requiring massive amounts of exposition about this strange mixed up world in every issue of every series, and would disallow lots of the types of stories writers like to tell in the Marvel Universe. It might be a neat place to visit, but you wouldn't want to base your main comics line on it.

And an MCU line would be problematic for the actual MCU if allowed to be too big, besides excluding at least two major franchises that make great use of Earth as a setting, Spider-Man and the X-Men. Besides, the MCU Earth is already one of the alternate realities getting destroyed in Everything Ends, with a chunk possibly incorporated into Battleworld, so if they publish more comics set there, then they are recreating at least one of their regular universes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    If it's all going away, why bother reading anything at all. Maybe Avengers and New Avengers but that's it.
    Maybe I am being to cynical but if it's a reboot, does anything now matter?
    Why bother reading anything? Because you enjoy it. Simple as that. Am I going to stop reading books like SILVER SURFER, DAREDEVIL and ANT-MAN, among many others, because something world-changing is going to occur on Marvel's publishing slate in a few months? Something world changing is always on the horizon. And the idea that stories "don't matter" because of other stories to come is idiotic. The experience of reading good story that entertains and engages you isn't altered by another story in the future. It's not as though I can't read Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers' run on Batman because they take place in a pre-Crisis, pre-New52 era.

You might as well have the attitude of "why do or enjoy anything - I'm just going to die eventually."

Because you enjoy what you're reading and the stories that are still being told. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    Because you enjoy what you're reading and the stories that are still being told. It's all about the journey, not the destination.
    To an extent. Never getting the ending to an episodic story you're following can still suck.

All the New Mutants died in Secret Wars II.
    Cannonball, Sunspot, Magma, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Magik, Warlock... poof.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    As far as comics are concerned I agree, since they're basically a never ending story. It sucks when you don't get an ending for a tv series though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    As far as comics are concerned I agree, since they're basically a never ending story. It sucks when you don't get an ending for a tv series though.
    Which is probably why Marvel is doing Last Days.

While Secret Wars may not be their New52, you can believe they took notes of what did and did not work with DC's New52 launch.
    And I'm sure fan reaction to New52, both positive and negative, was taken into consideration.

I'm betting Secret Wars will incorporate all the things that worked in New52 while avoiding the things that Marvel thinks didn't work.
    And it's possible a full reboot that alienates old readers was one.

BANNED

Sure it's been said in the thread, but in response to the original question I'm more interested in reading what's going on now than I am in reading the "Secret Wars" event itself. And then my question becomes, "why read anything until after Secret Wars is over?"

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Sure it's been said in the thread, but in response to the original question I'm more interested in reading what's going on now than I am in reading the "Secret Wars" event itself. And then my question becomes, "why read anything until after Secret Wars is over?"
    Maybe because once Secret Wars is over and you start picking titles to pre-order, Marvel will then announce the next mega-crossover that may or may not include some or all of the books you're considering getting..?

Then the question becomes, When do you start?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    My sentiments exactly! I am going to continue reading Moon Knight and celebrate the 40th anniversary 1975-2015 of his debut.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Maybe because once Secret Wars is over and you start picking titles to pre-order, Marvel will then announce the next mega-crossover that may or may not include some or all of the books you're considering getting..?

Then the question becomes, When do you start?
    Why do you gotta go and depress me before I've even filled out my order form?

If it's all going away, why bother reading anything at all. Maybe Avengers and New Avengers but that's it.
    1 - We don't know it's all going away. We know the WORLD is going away... for a few months. but the characters will still be there, and from the sounds of it their stories will continue through Secret Wars.

2 - If it's an entertaining read, why does it matter if it comes to an end?

I'm not sure about how this is going to play out based on the teasers we've been given so far. But I can see this turning into something like the New 52 Batman continuity issue. Where they have tried to keep the history intact but tell stories totally ignoring some of that history. It gets a little confusing trying to figure out what has happened and what hasn't.

Now I'm not all that hung up on the compressed timeline of things in the Batman universe, but I can see something like that maybe happening with some of these stories.

Take for example Spider-Man. They already released the "Renew Your Vows" cover that would indicate that the "new" Spider-Man will go back to being married to MJ, and they will have had May at this point. So that wipes out everything that has happend to Peter from One More Day up until this point, and also pushes his time with MJ forward a few years because May looks to be somewhere between the Spider-Girl May and birth.

If this is what is happening across the board then yeah this is definitely a reboot, but it's also a putting the company in a place somewhere between the 616 universe and the M2 universe with a little Ultimate thrown in for kicks. At least as far as I can tell from the teasers we've been given.
    Writer of Lore and Legends for Mice Templar.

Maybe because we have no idea what's actually going to happen. That's what all this paranoia and fatalism tends to forget: We don't actually know what the status quo after Secret Wars will be. Is it going to be vastly different? Even unrecognizable? Maybe. But it's just as likely - I'd argue more likely - that it'll ultimately be pretty much indistinguishable from what we have now.

So how about this: You keep reading the books you enjoy until you stop enjoying them. Set aside all the talk about how the reboot's going to work and all that crap. Just wait until the solicits come out for the month after Secret Wars ends. That's when we'll get a better idea of what the Marvel landscape will look like. Then, you can make an informed decision about what comics, if any, you want to continue reading.

Who am I kidding? It's going to be another four months of "it's the end of the world!" hysterics, and there's nothing that anyone anywhere can say that could possibly calm down any of the people worked up about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    All the New Mutants died in Secret Wars II.
    Cannonball, Sunspot, Magma, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Magik, Warlock... poof.
    And they were never heard from again. The End.

If the Internet had existed in 1985, I'm pretty sure people would've flipped their shit at a solicit mentioning the New Mutants being killed. People would've been convinced they really were being killed off, permanently, forever and ever.