Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Future of the Marvel Unfolds in "Warzones!"

The third of the publisher's upcoming 'umbrella imprints' will offer fans a hint of what's to come once "Secret Wars" is over.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

This shows that Battleworld is sticking around for the long run if they're establishing the zones so much. Can't wait to see what places like Civil War, Planet Hulk and Renew Your Vows are like.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The third of the publisher's upcoming 'umbrella imprints' will offer fans a hint of what's to come once "Secret Wars" is over.

Full article here.
    Actually, I rather like the idea of finding out more details of what the histories and living conditions of some of the Zones are. Hopefully they'll address issues about how the ordinary people (if any) get fed, power their cities, govern themselves if the local superhumans don't immediately take over, etc., i.e., really address their worldbuilding.

I'll amend my earlier statements about Battleworld not being good as a permanent setting.... if they are really willing to dig down deep and address this kind of stuff in depth, and keep editorial control so that one series' take on how Avalon or Greenlandia or New Hala is doing and how it works there is consistent with another's, I could see the line going strong for a couple years in that fashion.... though I still don't know if they'd be able to keep readers who prefer 'grittier' or more 'realistic' series like Punisher or Moon Knight that seem more suited to an Earthly setting for very long at all, or that it will be a good setting for series with a lighter tone like Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl either.

EDIT: I'm curious as to what being Captain America will mean when there is no America, per se, just small chunks of a bunch of different ones that may or may not agree on system of government, what the American Dream is, and so on. Even if there's a Washington, DC preserved in one of the Zones, there's no reason for the people of Manhattan to listen to anything they have to say, since after all they're not their elected officials.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 01-23-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Amazing Member

It's as if a million wallets cried out in pain

Hmmm, actually the idea of Secret Wars having a 'Front Line' style mini or focus would be great. You would want to know what things were happening to the common man in the numerous zones of Battleworld.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletCrab View Post
    Mine's among them

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

And this will add fuel to the fire for those that are convinced that a reboot is coming.

Personally, I think it's an intriguing promo and I am looking forward to reading the event.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletCrab View Post
    LMAO.

Translation: Please buy these irrelevant tie-ins too. This time they really matter, we promise!

J
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    And this will add fuel to the fire for those that are convinced that a reboot is coming.
    Or it could be setting up the various zones for the long run since this seems a lot of work for something to be undone in just five months. I think that Battleworld is around for the long run.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    J

Or it could be setting up the various zones for the long run since this seems a lot of work for something to be undone in just five months. I think that Battleworld is around for the long run.
    We'll soon see if it is here for the long run Derek.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Actually, I rather like the idea of finding out more details of what the histories and living conditions of some of the Zones are. Hopefully they'll address issues about how the ordinary people (if any) get fed, power their cities, govern themselves if the local superhumans don't immediately take over, etc., i.e., really address their worldbuilding.

I'll amend my earlier statements about Battleworld not being good as a permanent setting.... if they are really willing to dig down deep and address this kind of stuff in depth, and keep editorial control so that one series' take on how Avalon or Greenlandia or New Hala is doing and how it works there is consistent with another's, I could see the line going strong for a couple years in that fashion.... though I still don't know if they'd be able to keep readers who prefer 'grittier' or more 'realistic' series like Punisher or Moon Knight that seem more suited to an Earthly setting for very long at all, or that it will be a good setting for series with a lighter tone like Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl either.

EDIT: I'm curious as to what being Captain America will mean when there is no America, per se, just small chunks of a bunch of different ones that may or may not agree on system of government, what the American Dream is, and so on. Even if there's a Washington, DC preserved in one of the Zones, there's no reason for the people of Manhattan to listen to anything they have to say, since after all they're not their elected officials.
    Wow! You just asked many of the same questions I have been asking. How can there be a Captain America if there is no United States of America? How many people will kill themselves when they realize what has happened, that many or all of their loved ones are dead? How many will die because of power outages or from sickness/plagues? Oh, and also, if this does turn out to be permanent I will be dropping it and every Marvel title tied into it. I don't care to read about a world that has NO resemblance to the one I know.
    Last edited by Tom Reed; 01-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Reed View Post
    Wow! You just asked many of the same questions I have been asking. How can there be a Captain America if there is no United States of America? How many people will kill themselves when they realize what has happened, that many or all of their loved ones are dead? How many will die because of power outages or from sickness/plagues? Oh, and also, if this does turn out to be permanent I will be dropping it and every Marvel title tied into it. I don't care to read about a world that has NO resemblance to the one I know.
    These are marvelous questions which marvel comics if they have any courtesy better answer during the 8 months Secret Wars rages.

LMAO

Marvel had pretty much lost me the last 10 years or so, except for the Ultimate line, and Daredevil.

All done now.

Others said after Crisis or Flashpoint they were done. I couldn't imagine doing that. Honestly, I never thought I'd do that with Marvel, as I've bought both my whole life, but Marvel has dwindled to almost nothing, and now it's officially nothing, unless it's out of continuity decent stories, otherwise, I'm not even remotely tempting by this.

OTOH, I'm revived by Convergence, as I've liked a lot of the new 52, and am glad they're broadening their scope to include everything instead of cherry picking.

My previous Marvel dollars will continue to support Image, Valiant, Dark Horse, Boom !, Dynamite and others.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Reed View Post
    I want to watch Cap's reaction to the loss of everything. He was all for letting the planets collide and the universes be destroyed, but he probably never thought that he would live to see the consequences.

Earth has been destroyed, and it is largely because of him, who fought hard to stop everybody doing the planet-blowing stuff...how will he react? Will he say "it's okay, our universe has been destroyed, and that other universe too, almost everybody in both Earths is dead, but we have kept our integrity", or will he have a breakdown when he realizes the enormity of the price of keeping said integrity?

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    These are marvelous questions which marvel comics if they have any courtesy better answer during the 8 months Secret Wars rages.
    I don't have too much hope. Most heroes will probably roll with it and show little in the way of a realistic emotional reaction. The common people will probably form a mob and try to lynch all supers until some monster arrives and start eating them, at which point they will start calling for the capes to save them...because that's what the MU normal people ALWAYS do.
    Last edited by Habis; 01-23-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I know this sounds cynical, but if Marvel's marketing guy feels the need to tell us that these comics "are NOT fill-ins," I suspect they're probably fill-ins.