Super Moderator

Default "The Crow" Director Corin Hardy Plans an "Incredibly Emotional and Brutal" Adaptation

"The Hallow" director promises that his version of "The Crow" franchise will go back to James O'Barr's comic book source material.

Full article here.

Nice but I also wish it will distinguish itself from the '91 film somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    If the actor doesn't die that'll distinguish it enough.
    Not sarcasm, hoping they do better on safety this time around.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 01-23-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    What exactly is this " '91 film"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What exactly is this " '91 film"?
    Really? It's the screen adaptation of James O'Barr's graphic novel miniseries in which the star Brandon Lee- the son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee- was killed in an accident with a prop gun at a point in the production where they were just close enough to done that they were able to finish the movie without him, and since the story is about a dead man who comes back to life to avenge the murders of himself and his fiance that made for unbelievable heartwrenching irony. And it wasn't 1991 by the way, it was 1994.

The original is one of my favorite movies of all time and as far as I'm concerned it does not need to be remade, but since it is happening I would agree that I hope it sticks more to the source material. The original was already "Incredibly emotional and brutal," but if the graphic novel is done straight it will be even moreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    And it wasn't 1991 by the way, it was 1994.

I was going over it in my head trying to figure out if I could have missed something before the 1994 film. Thanks for kicking in the obvious answer.

I could have sworn it was 1991 But yeah, RIP Brandon Lee.

Ultimate Member

Also sad remember that the actress that played Shelly was Mr. Lee's fiancé/wife/girlfriend at the time I can't remember and his death destroyed her so that she never acted again iirc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Also sad remember that the actress that played Shelly was Mr. Lee's fiancé/wife/girlfriend at the time I can't remember and his death destroyed her so that she never acted again iirc.
    Actually Lee was engaged to another women named Eliza Hutton. She worked on the set and was credited as one of Lee's assistants. The actress who played Shelly was named Sophia Shinas. She did happen to be on set and witnessed the accident that killed Lee. Then she left and went home. However she still made films after. She had a minor role in Terminal Velocity, a Charlie Sheen film, later that year. Her career didn't really take off though. She was a pop star who was crossing over into film.

Ultimate Member

Thanks for the correction, I knew that Lee was dating or whatever some woman that was in the movies in one way or another, just got the two women confused.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

I was going over it in my head trying to figure out if I could have missed something before the 1994 film. Thanks for kicking in the obvious answer.
    Sorry, crossed wires there. Wouldn't have happened if we were all sitting together talking in person. Pesky internet.

No biggie. I just thought I may have been having a "getting old" moment.

Mighty Member

Really? It's the screen adaptation of James O'Barr's graphic novel miniseries in which the star Brandon Lee- the son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee- was killed in an accident with a prop gun at a point in the production where they were just close enough to done that they were able to finish the movie without him, and since the story is about a dead man who comes back to life to avenge the murders of himself and his fiance that made for unbelievable heartwrenching irony. And it wasn't 1991 by the way, it was 1994.

The original is one of my favorite movies of all time and as far as I'm concerned it does not need to be remade, but since it is happening I would agree that I hope it sticks more to the source material. The original was already "Incredibly emotional and brutal," but if the graphic novel is done straight it will be even moreso.
    Agree and agree. The tragedy is Lee was sensational in that role. Problem is, although I'd love to see a straight from novel adaptation, it would have to be mature audiences only. And would it make a profit? These days everything has to be kiddie friendly.

Mighty Member

I've been a fan of The Crow since i saw the film in 94 when i was 12/13 4 times in theaters and got the soundtrack, the original graphic novel (loved it) and t-shirts, even been him a couple of times at sci-fi/comic cons. I even met Ernie Hudson and James O'Barr at the conventions.

I think this new adaptation should be enjoyable and make me forget about those terrible sequels.

This is not a "remake" of the 1994 film, it's a separate adaptation of the comics/graphic novel. To me remakes and re-adaptations are 2 very different things, and to me the definition of a remake is when it's based on motion picture is when it's based on an original motion picture produced earlier including based on an original screenplay (not based on any existing source material like comics, graphic novels, books and novellas) like for example Father of the Bride, King Kong, Ocean's 11, Scarface, The Departed etc. TRUE remakes in every sense of the word, the new Crow is a re-adaptation of the graphic novel and has nothing to do with the older film and re-adaptations are another and separate adaptation of source materials (books/novellas/comics) like say Dredd for example and The Incredible Hulk 2008 which aren't remakes of 2003/1995 films but new/separate adaptations of the comics. To say the new Crow movie is a "remake" of the earler film would be like saying Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy are "remakes" of Tim Burton's Batman movies because of Batman/origin of Batman/Joker/Catwoman etc. NO, they are obviously a separate adaptation of the comics.

And i'm sure it will respect the graphic novel's source material since it's rated R and was for mature readers.