Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Fantastic Four, #642

The First Family reunites and their foe's master scheme is revealed as the series reverts to its old numbering in James Robinson and Leonard Kirk's "Fantastic Four" #642, a fun issue full of guest stars, action and pivotal moments.

Full review here.

All-New Member

Default A Classic FF Run that's ending too soon!!

This run has been a ton of fun, and I'm honestly really sad to see it end. Robinson's depiction of the first family, while a bit muddled in continuity and moving his overall plot forward at a quick clip, has been spot-on. His use of prior MU continuity and hyper specific FF continuity as well has been fantastic and a joy for an old fan to read. That's one of the things that the Marvel Universe has in spades that gets over looked by a lot of writers these days, is the love of, and actual creative incorporation of the past history and continuity into modern day stories. I hated Heroes Reborn, but I love seeing the concepts and characters trotted out for a dusting off once in a blue moon. I feel it's inventive and shows some loyalty to this world, to go back, mine the history books and craft new tales playing on the great legacy of all the stories behind us.

Not to mention the FANTASTIC art by Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel, & Jesus Aburtov. Kirk's Blue-Eyed Benjy may be the greatest rendition to grace these pages since the Ol' King Kirby himself.. there's just something incredible about it. I just really admire the effort and love the entire team has clearly invested in this under-appreciated run. Here's hoping Invaders ending, & this series getting cancelled doesn't spell the end of Robinson's tenure here at Marvel... he's got a great eye for crafting compelling new stories, playing in the old Marvel sandbox in a way that most writers can't touch these days.

Quote Originally Posted by HulkShare View Post

Not to mention the FANTASTIC art by Leonard Kirk, Karl Kesel, & Jesus Aburtov. Kirk's Blue-Eyed Benjy may be the greatest rendition to grace these pages since the Ol' King Kirby himself.. there's just something incredible about it. I just really admire the effort and love the entire team has clearly invested in this under-appreciated run. Here's hoping Invaders ending, & this series getting cancelled doesn't spell the end of Robinson's tenure here at Marvel... he's got a great eye for crafting compelling new stories, playing in the old Marvel sandbox in a way that most writers can't touch these days.
    Great post and I agree with this, absolutely. Leonard Kirk, Kark Kesel and Jesus Aburtov have done some incredible work here. The first couple of issues where he wove the memories and flashbacks into the panels for a bleeding effect, the dynamics in the action and the vibrancy of the colours - it all adds up to make a great looking comic. There have been fill-in artists here and there, but Kirk has done most of the pencils throughout. I really hope he has a spot in a big, Marvel title once this one finishes - or if the F4 come back, Kirk and co. come back with him!
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by HulkShare View Post
    You shall not worry. Robinson was spotted in the last Marvel creative summit, where only exclusive authors who have a saying in the Marvel universe are invited.