Default Black WIdow #14 SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

BLACK WIDOW #14
    Nathan Edmondson (W) • Phil Noto (A/C)
    "The Kill List"
    • Natasha wants answers about Chaos and how she has a list of people who have them.
    • One by one...
    • How far can she go and still call herself a hero?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Very good cover ruined by the fact it only symbolically represents the issue. The story, itself, was an very good - in the same vane as all the issues to date. Strong narrative and art style - but nothing spectacular. Finally, Natasha shows she is not a chump and goes after CHAOS instead of them going after her.

Isaiah boring but his ongoing supporting cast presence is very welcome and he still has so much potential. Maria Hill gets better facetime than him and she is only a recurring guest appearance - and once again has a great line this time about 'fearing' BW.

Pretty cool F/X with the guy in the invisible suit messes up Natasha's smart plan with a very good cliffhanger. Even with all this deserved props, it won't be surprising if this book gets the axe if they don't add more big name heroes, big name villains, big F/X imagery, big... something. Heck even a big axe to go up against! This would be an excellent digital comic as opposed to a $3.99 product. And it would be logical/preferred if she was removed from active Avengers status.

Preview.

The whole series has been a slow burn, but that's kind of what I'm liking about it. It's paced so differently than any other Marvel book I'm reading, which makes it a nice standout.

I haven't gotten my copy yet (it's in the mail!) but I think the book's self-contained, quiet nature is one of its big selling points. It took a while for the momentum to build, but I think it's improved from the first few issues, or else I just got used to it.

I'm not sure why it would improve the book for Natasha to be removed from active Avengers status? That's where the character has the most visibility. They're not gonna let the movie line-up die.

But I also think her Avengers connections are a very important part of this book. All along we see that her work as a spy or SHIELD agent isn't quite congruent with her work as a superhero. And it's not just that she does stuff other heroes wouldn't‚ she does things other spies wouldn't either, and both get her into trouble. If you remove the Avengers aspect, you remove a lot of the character conflict.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkAndSteel View Post
    The whole series has been a slow burn, but that's kind of what I'm liking about it. It's paced so differently than any other Marvel book I'm reading, which makes it a nice standout.
    No arguement. But will such quality attention have staying power in a wider ecclectic range of demographic demand? Or maybe the creative team will just stay true to itself and not care about that? Throw in an appearance of underused Hercules and maybe they can grab the fans that were loyal to Champions but lost their book to its niche mission statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    No arguement. But will such quality attention have staying power in a wider ecclectic range of demographic demand? Or maybe the creative team will just stay true to itself and not care about that? Throw in an appearance of underused Hercules and maybe they can grab the fans that were loyal to Champions but lost their book to its niche mission statement?
    I dunno how Herc would fit into a book like this, and I really like the Champions & Herc. But they've had plenty of guest stars: Daredevil, Winter Soldier, X-23, Punisher. The book has done better than most of the other female titles launched in Marvel NOW. If they get past 20 issues, that'll be about as long as any book goes these days before relaunching.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.