Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default It's strange to me that the Marvel Universe has no superheros of Indian origin.

India represents a full fifth of the world's population. The Marvel U has literally hundreds of superheros and yet it doesn't have a single hero of Indian origins, how is that even possible?

I would love to see an ongoing headlined by a hindu or buddist superhero that grew up in India.

They could make him a doctor along the lines of Doctor Strange but older and wiser, or a brilliant engineer CEO with a spiritual side sort of like a mash up between Tony Stark and Satya Nadella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos1 View Post
    The Public Domain Superheroes Wiki entry on Mowgli (from "The Jungle Book") has a category tag at the bottom that says "Marvel Characters". So, Marvel did have a comic version of him.
    I do not want someone like Mowgli. Make them educated, since education is so highly valued in India, a science illiterate hero would not be looked up to by Indians imho. They dont need have a degree, but they shouldnt be science illiterate with their powers consisting of jumping high and being strong, like Mowgli would be.

Edit: Upon research, I found multiple minor indian characters in the comics, none major enough to get their own movie yet unfortunately, but hopefully one will get their own ongoing series in paper, and can make it onto film in the next decade or so.

I would love to hear ideas for which character you think should eventually headline the first MCU film featuring an Indian actor. And what is it about their characters/stories that you think would make for a compelling story.

My pick would be Trinary... https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Trinary_(Earth-616)

The reason I find Trinary so compelling as a character is that her motivation is all about creating a more equitable world by essentially achieving Universal Basic Income (in Robinhood sort of way), by force if neccesary. It's a fantastic character arc, but sadly, precisely because of the fear that corporations like Disney probably have towards UBI, I am sure Trinary will never make it into the MCU.

Alternatively, it would be amazing if Dr. Strange's eventual successor is Indian. The Ancient One really should have been a south asian actor, since the movie takes place there and adopts so much of their cultural beliefs.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 07-20-2021 at 07:10 AM.

BANNED

I was skeptical but it turns out you're right. There aren't any.

That is definitely an issue that needs to be remedied.

Trying my best to think of someone but yeah, you're right. That's not good.

Katy and Tim Bashir are half Indian, no?

Edit: Were.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

On Earth-50101, Pavitr Prabhakar from Mumbai, India is Spider-Man.

Also, on Earth-616, the Pan-Asian School for the Unusually Gifted is located in Mumbai, and there is at least one Indian student there.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Calculus of the Young Gods. Is he still alive?

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/calculusyoung.htm

Indra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra_%28comics%29

Thunderbird (Neal Shaara)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder...Neal_Shaara%29

There are more, but I'd need to check their status as a) heroes, and b) whether they're alive or not.

Neal shaara- Thunderbird was a member of Xmen and Omega Sentinel

Ultimate Member

Yeah, Indra, Omega Sentinel and Thunderbird III count. It is interesting that there aren't a whole lot of non-mutant Indian super-people (that Young God being the only one that leaps to mind). I think there were a couple of mutant acolytes of Indian origin as well (Vindaloo and maybe Senyaka?).

I do like that they mostly don't have any sort of 'ethnic' super powers (like the various Native American heroes like Black Crow and Red Wolf, who have a different sort of 'Indian powers').

Timeslip. Former New Warrior.

Kavita Rao doesn't have superpowers, but she was a member of the X-Club.

Spectacular Member

Thanks guys, yeah Indra, Thunderbird III, Omega Sentinel and Timeslip are all characters I was not aware of. Kavita Rao is cool too. Considering their appearances were all so brief, just hoping they will make it out of non-reboot reboot intact.

Omega Sentinel and Timeslip both seem like amazing characters with excellent names, cool origin stories, and very interesting powers. I would love to see more of them.... maybe helping to restore order after the chaos of Secret Wars.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 01-24-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Pakistan have got nada, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Pakistan have got nada, though.
    Weeeeeell...there's the new Ms. Marvel who's Pakistani, but she grew up in America.

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

Omega Sentinel?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
    Omega Sentinel?
    Don't be discriminating against all sentinels Cyclops. A few bad apples shouldn't define the entire race. As a mutant, you should understand that better than most.