Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If its a new character I won't mind. If its another replacement character just made for publicity, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    It's not strange when you think about logistics. Marvel as much DC where long dominated by a Caucasian presence in their universes. Like the over-abundance of NYC in Marvel, much of what they drew from was what they saw right in front of them and what was familiar to them (going by the fact that most of the architects were white so that's the lifestyle they knew of). Add that much of this was controlled by the CCA and they were how should I say...not with the times. As well there was no internet so for research one would have to rely on outdated and condensed books. Remember Marvel hasn't always had a large pool of resources to draw from, financially speaking if nothing else. For them to go study in another country would have been improbable. The United States and it's citizens are only recently becoming deeply aware of the idiosyncrasies of cultures beyond Caucasians as it is and again largely due to the invention and growth of the internet. As far as setting is concerned though in my travels alone I can say that Indian citizens, be they " Americanized " or nay or very prevalent in every facet of society and America's culture as is anyone else given the melting pot effect. However again Marvel has much to fix in it's overall palette and minding how aggravated the readership tends to become over sudden changes. In other words they have a long way to go in representing a truthful looking human race but they are taking it a step at a time. I'm personally happy to see comics are at least on the path despite how impatient I am by nature.
    Marvel had no trouble over-representing the Chinese and Russian super heroes. There are over 1 Billion Indians. They are involved in space exploration. They have tested nuclear weapons, so their should be some Hulks floating around and some FF's as well. They have a huge investment in the internet and telephone marketing area all over the world, so they must have some fingers in the pies of big business everywhere. More and more contracts are going to India for infrastructure, manufactureing, telecommunications, and technology, so some sort of Iron Man suit has to be on the drawing boards and in manufacture. If India don't have bona fide super heroes, they could still make them like the Order in The Initiative.

I would say American super hero comics have ignored India maybe because they don't know the culture that well as China, and Russia, who were opponents in the Cold War, so the CIA had to infiltrate those cultures. In India, it was a previous British colony, like Australia, so there was no ungency to delve too deeply into a country that was an ally, who didn't cause any ripples in American politics.

How would I redress that? I'd have a multinational company from India take over the world. Not aggresively, but just because they could economically hold all the debt of all the countries. Then America would have to sit up and listen, and focus on that country. Once an Avengers representation moves into India, we see the first Indian Super Team confront them.

The Quinjet lands in Mumbai and the Avengers scamble out. Suddenly a fleet of flying characters land in front of them. Rogers says "the Avengers are here on invitation by the Indian Prime Minister. My Name is Captain.." "I know who you are", says the lead man. Cap then says, "that's fine, but we don't know who you are". "We are the Indian Corps, and you don't know us because you haven't been required to know". Cap breaks off, and speaks into a remote phone. "Maria, who are these characters"?. "I don't know them".
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-24-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The really sad part is the alarming number of villains with origins or ties to India relative to the number of heroes. But I suppose the same is true of Egypt.

Someone stated Timeslip...

http://marvel.com/universe/Timeslip

Mutant New Warrior last seen with the Xmen in some 2008 holiday special
    Last edited by Maniacal; 01-24-2015 at 11:33 PM.

There hasent been any up to this point, not sure why there needs to be any now. Just saying.

there's plenty of countries who's got little or no supers. Germany has all of 6 heroes - Captain Germany, Blitzkrieger (dead), Maverick, Nightcrawler, Iron Cross and Bundesadler. the rest are villains - mostly Nazis. France has about a dozen heroes, several of which were JLA rip-offs who were in an F4 story. Ireland has 3, 2 of which are sharing the same name and they're all bad stereotypes. Australia has about 4, 3 of whom are Aborigines with 'dream-time' powers which as bad as Native Americans with steretypical Native American powers. Spain has one hero. Italy's got 1 hero from Euroforce in Avengers World. Poland likewise.
    I surrender to the Contest

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I can't tell if that if that was an argument, agreement or what? My apologies or thank you, I dunno. O_o
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    there's plenty of countries who's got little or no supers. Germany has all of 6 heroes - Captain Germany, Blitzkrieger (dead), Maverick, Nightcrawler, Iron Cross and Bundesadler. the rest are villains - mostly Nazis. France has about a dozen heroes, several of which were JLA rip-offs who were in an F4 story. Ireland has 3, 2 of which are sharing the same name and they're all bad stereotypes. Australia has about 4, 3 of whom are Aborigines with 'dream-time' powers which as bad as Native Americans with steretypical Native American powers. Spain has one hero. Italy's got 1 hero from Euroforce in Avengers World. Poland likewise.
    India has nearly a fifth of the world population, it's not unreasonable to expect greater representation even if it was just Americans of Indian origin. Marvel is still very US centric, even New York centric and I'm not sure this hasn't gotten worse in the last few years. We definitely have better representation of ethnicities than we used to have but their really isn't any team with the global perspective of the all new, all different X-Men

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I suspect Marvel would look at it as 'why would we need this?'

Marvel is a business, if business in India isn't good, you dont need a character to appeal to Indians. If business is good in India, then Indian's are happy reading about the characters they get now.

The only reason to have a character with that background would a) be to have one for the sake of having one to tick a diversity box or b) because Marvel wanted to appeal more to people in India.

Business always comes before social commentary
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    From an economic standpoint, it is odd that Marvel has not pushed harder to penetrate the south Asian pop culture market regarding comics. Spider-Man India came and went, at least in the USA. With the Marvel UK publishing ranks, were there ever any south asian protagonists?
    Spider-Man: India was outsourced to Gotham Entertainment, maybe Marvel can outsource again with another company. I'd also bet that one Indian superhero would have to be an avatar of one of the Daevas, it's common enough in Marvel that a pantheon becomes involved in a superhero team.

(And it seems that on my mother's side, we have distant Indian ancestry.)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It seems Omega Sentinel was a police detective before being bonded to the prime sentinel. That would be a good hook for an on-going. A detective finding super threats to deal with, kind of like an Indian Jessica Jones :P
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    There hasent been any up to this point, not sure why there needs to be any now. Just saying.
    There doesn't need to be a hero with any characteristic. There doesn't need to be any black, LGBT, disabled or female heroes ... but obviously, that would be ridiculous, boring and unrealistic in a fictional universe that is supposed to represent the real world (to an extent). Just as it is to have so few Indian characters.

Extraordinary Member

I posted superheros of indian origin in marvel and they even have some of gods of indian orgin in marvel just like east asian,african and native american and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    India has nearly a fifth of the world population, it's not unreasonable to expect greater representation even if it was just Americans of Indian origin. Marvel is still very US centric, even New York centric and I'm not sure this hasn't gotten worse in the last few years. We definitely have better representation of ethnicities than we used to have but their really isn't any team with the global perspective of the all new, all different X-Men
    I don't know if population is relevant. I think MU only cares about what its target market wants, everything else be damned. If they thought they could create an Indian character that would draw the Indians to buy comics, they would do it. They don't do it because they don't think they can't.

Besides that, I think the concept of the superhero is a very american thing. It combines very american traits, like the admiration for "men of action", the desire to do stuff without control from the government, and the desire of fame. The concept of cinema's and sports' stardoms was born in America, same as the reality shows. I see heroes as people who want to do good, and villains as criminals who want profit, but the thing they have in common is that, even if not all of them admit it, they want to be seen, to be know and to be admired (or feared).

The desire of fame (of "being on TV") has propagated to other countries and cultures, but not all countries admire men and women of action so much as Americans do, and in many countries honest, law-abiding people wouldn't be comfortable as with the idea of donning a mask and making your own justice as in America.

It's possible that, in the MU, non-American heroes aren't so respected in their own countries as the Avengers or the FF are, that being the reason there are few heroes outside of America.
    Last edited by Habis; 01-25-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member

In guardians of the galaxy movie i saw some indian looking aliens.

I posted superheros of indian origin in marvel and they even have some of gods of indian origin in marvel just like east asian,african and native american and others.

Daevas

http://marvel.wikia.com/Daevas

Shiva (Hindu god) - Marvel Universe
    http://marvunapp.com/Appendix/shiva1.htm

Gods (Marvel Comics)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_%28Marvel_Comics%29

The A-Z of Middle Eastern and Muslim Superheroes
    http://www.1971-reviewae.com/2013/04...nd-muslim.html

Stan Lee to Create Indian Comic Superhero 'Chakra - The Invincible ...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...incible-275922

Indian Comic Series 'CHAKRA' To Turn Into A Bollywood Film

Stan Lee planning Bollywood flick on his Indian superhero character

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/44821624.cms

Asian Superheroes - Comic Vine
    http://www.comicvine.com/profile/ryo...rheroes/12487/

Marvel
    Characters by Nationality
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Cha...rt=mostvisited

You should check here as well because indians(india) and pakistani will be in the asian category because they are asian,but south asians.
    So if you have to look up indian and pakistani superheroes just type in asian superheroes.
    You could type in google indian or Pakistani superheros too or indian or Pakistani superheroes marvel.

List of Asian superheroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_superheroes

Asian and Latino superheroes? in DC Comics
    http://community.comicbookresources....no-superheroes

The Minority Report! Diversity In DC and the Nu52 in DC Comics
    http://community.comicbookresources....he-Nu52/page25
    Last edited by mace11; 01-25-2015 at 10:46 AM.