Page 509 of 694 FirstFirst ... 9409459499505506507508509510511512513519559609 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,635 of 10399

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The original DCHSG made a lot of villain characters into heroes or non-threats, but I'm not sure why it would be so surprising to see them portrayed as villains in a more straightforward take? If anything I can see that the tone and style differences might turn people off from the original, but I don't think Harley and Ivy had anything to do with it.

Like, if anything it makes more sense to push actual Heroes in a DC Superhero Girls show than characters generally regarded as villains, even if certain fans get testy about them being, well, villains. I don't think there was any intention of "replacing" them so much as just...using actual, prominent, DC Female Heroes.

And Zatanna is one of their biggest magical heroes. Jessica Cruz has been building up her name as well.
    It should have started off with Zatanna and Jessica. While launching DCSHG they included Harley & Ivy for name recognition. I guess it was also the first exposure to the characters for a lot of kids. The Lauren Faust version then adopted the DCSHG title but made Harley & Ivy villains which had a whiplash effect for the younger fans and the older fans of the heroic versions became livid.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They didnt lose fans as the original was a webtoon on youtube. The reboot was on Cartoon Network.
    DCSHG in its original incarnation was a multi-platform revenue generating brand that included toys, comic books and games. It was a huge success that made headlines among trades like The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...omics-1020570/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300410948.html

The CN version was a reimagining of the brand that made some big changes like portray Harley & Ivy as villains when they were heroes during the first wave of the title. This was the introduction to the characters for many kids who thought they were heroes so were left confused as to why they were villains now. It's like if the follow-up to the 80's animated TMNT show had Raphael and Michaelangelo as villains with Casey Jones replacing them on the heroes team.

Every kid learns at some point that there are multiple versions of their favorite characters.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Every kid learns at some point that there are multiple versions of their favorite characters.
    Speak for yourself. I'm still in denial that Magma is white and bland in the comics after being introduced to her through this cutie in X-Men: Evolution

"Bland" or "blond"?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "Bland" or "blond"?
    Comics Magma is both.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Sometimes it's awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Comics Magma is both.
    Maybe so but you specifically said "white and bland". Why associate "blandness" with "whiteness". The two are not really synonymous with each other.

I preferred the original DCSG as far as just tone and style was concerned, the reboot was a bit too silly, but I still liked it too well enough. Shame to see it go, hope this doesn't spell the end of DC animation targeting a female demographic.

Maybe so but you specifically said "white and bland". Why associate "blandness" with "whiteness". The two are not really synonymous with each other.
    Of course they're "not really synonymous with each other," that's why the word "and" was used: to connect two otherwise unrelated words. If they were synonymous people would just list the one.

It should have started off with Zatanna and Jessica. While launching DCSHG they included Harley & Ivy for name recognition. I guess it was also the first exposure to the characters for a lot of kids. The Lauren Faust version then adopted the DCSHG title but made Harley & Ivy villains which had a whiplash effect for the younger fans and the older fans of the heroic versions became livid.

DCSHG in its original incarnation was a multi-platform revenue generating brand that included toys, comic books and games. It was a huge success that made headlines among trades like The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...omics-1020570/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300410948.html

The CN version was a reimagining of the brand that made some big changes like portray Harley & Ivy as villains when they were heroes during the first wave of the title. This was the introduction to the characters for many kids who thought they were heroes so were left confused as to why they were villains now. It's like if the follow-up to the 80's animated TMNT show had Raphael and Michaelangelo as villains with Casey Jones replacing them on the heroes team.
    If anything I think the onus is on the original for putting so much focus on traditionally villainous characters just for their popularity instead of focusing on actual female heroes. And I like Harley and Ivy.

Besides I think the reboot had pretty good takes on them as characters. It's not like it wasn't true to their characterizations.

Speak for yourself. I'm still in denial that Magma is white and bland in the comics after being introduced to her through this cutie in X-Men: Evolution

As long as she doesn't look like Ellen, I'm fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I preferred the original DCSG as far as just tone and style was concerned, the reboot was a bit too silly, but I still liked it too well enough. Shame to see it go, hope this doesn't spell the end of DC animation targeting a female demographic.
    It was definitely sillier but I think it had a bit more...punch than the original? Maybe even literally so.

It was definitely sillier but I think it had a bit more...punch than the original? Maybe even literally so.
    I think that was part of the appeal of the original for me actually. Was kind of more chill and relaxing a watch. Sometimes I need a less punchy pace.

Astonishing Member

Just racism towards whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think that was part of the appeal of the original for me actually. Was kind of more chill and relaxing a watch. Sometimes I need a less punchy pace.
    I think they make for good contrasts, particularly because the reboot was so vibrant, dynamic, and colorful .

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Of course they're "not really synonymous with each other," that's why the word "and" was used: to connect two otherwise unrelated words. If they were synonymous people would just list the one.
    If this character was anything other than white in the comics, would she have still been described as "non-white and bland"? I was referring to the rather casual way people tend to use words like that to describe characters who were originally white. I find a character like Bishop to be rather bland as well but if I saw a different version of him I think I'm unlikely to describe him as "black and bland in the comics" since that would likely cause certain reactions. But not with white characters that you can apparently say anything about with no consideration at all. Don't you think there's something wrong with this picture.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-16-2022 at 02:42 PM.

I think they make for good contrasts, particularly because the reboot was so vibrant, dynamic, and colorful .
    I think the main issue with the reboot was it didn't go the whole way with the story. I thought they were going for a Netflix She-Ra or Young Justice level of overarching epic by bringing Faust aboard (I'm not a 'bronie' lol but I assumed My Little Pony was similarly popular because it apparently had complex story and characterizations?)

Instead Nu DCSHG felt like TTG to OG DCSHG's TT 2000s if TTG replaced 2 of the characters from the original and made them villains. The issue was it wasn't even AS silly as TTG so it didn't even work as toddler bait.

If this character was anything other than white in the comics, would she have still been described as "non-white and bland"? I was referring to the rather casual way people tend to use words like that to describe characters who were originally white. I find a character like Bishop to be rather bland as well but if I saw a different version of him I think I'm unlikely to describe him as "black and bland in the comics" since that would likely cause certain reactions. But not with white characters that you can apparently say anything about with no consideration at all. Don't you think there's something wrong with this picture.
    I assure you that no secure, mature white person is going to find that offensive

And to spell it out for the rest, Comics Magma is one of a billion white characters while Evolution Magma was the first Native Latina X-Men to be featured on a show or movie. Obviously people thought she was groundbreaking representation until they saw that the comics version was just another white girl (who btw to make matters worse, brownfaced in her original story). Even Magma's creator Chris Claremont now finds her a dumb character.