Page 450 of 693 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500550 ... LastLast
Results 6,736 to 6,750 of 10394
    Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The closest I think DC has to a muslim superhero is the Turkish hero Janissary Here are some thoughts from Turkish readers about her (headline is misleading): https://ahvalnews.com/comics/turks-d...need-superhero
    Khalid Nassour is a muslim superhero: it's explicit in the Doctor Fate (2015) series and in Young Justice. It doesn't come up in the Justice League: Dark series, but I think DC used a picture of him from it for a Ramadan post.

It's a bit of a thing since Khalid is a muslim character who uses magic, but he has muslim fans that are happy about the character and I have been told "magic is haram" does not apply all across the board, so to speak. I've also been told that he avoids some of the pitfalls that comes from the "magic muslim" type because his magic is not derived from Islam and he specifically gets his magic from the white side of his family.

EDIT: Found the Ramadan post.
    https://twitter.com/dccomics/status/1381759040338944001
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 05-02-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Incredible Member

The closest I think DC has to a muslim superhero is the Turkish hero Janissary Here are some thoughts from Turkish readers about her (headline is misleading): https://ahvalnews.com/comics/turks-d...need-superhero

I don't want to sound dramatic but of all the names ( and character design btw) they could come up with they thought this was ok. A Janissary was a member of the elite infantry units that formed the Ottoman Sultan's household troops and the first modern standing army in Europe. Janissaries began as elite corps made up through the devşirme system of child levy, by which Albanians, Armenians, Bulgarians, Croats, Greeks, Serbs and Macedonians were taken, levied, subjected to circumcision and conversion to Islam, and incorporated into the Ottoman army. They became famed for internal cohesion cemented by strict discipline and order. Unlike typical slaves, they were paid regular salaries. Forbidden to marry before the age of 40 or engage in trade, their complete loyalty to the Sultan was expected. Considering that my people were under 500 years of Ottoman occupation.
    Secondly, most Turkish women don't wear a hijab or burka. I have Turkish friends and they absolutely despise the stuff.
    Last edited by Veni; 05-02-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Khalid Nassour is a muslim superhero: it's explicit in the Doctor Fate (2015) series and in Young Justice. It's not explicit or implicit in the Justice League: Dark series, but I think DC used a picture of him from it for a Ramadan post.

It's a bit of a thing since Khalid is a muslim character who uses magic, but he has muslim fans that are happy about the character and I have been told "magic is haram" does not apply all across the board, so to speak. I've also been told that he avoids some of the pitfalls that comes from the "magic muslim" type because his magic is not derived from Islam and he specifically gets it from the white side of his family.
    Yeah, they did use a picture of him for that.

He slipped my mind but I guess I was thinking of 'female muslim hero' from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post

Oh my god... Of all the names ( and character design btw) they could come up they thought this was ok. A Janissary was a member of the elite infantry units that formed the Ottoman Sultan's household troops and the first modern standing army in Europe. Janissaries began as elite corps made up through the devşirme system of child levy, by which Albanians, Armenians, Bulgarians, Croats, Greeks, and Serbs were taken, levied, subjected to circumcision and conversion to Islam, and incorporated into the Ottoman army. They became famed for internal cohesion cemented by strict discipline and order. Unlike typical slaves, they were paid regular salaries. Forbidden to marry before the age of 40 or engage in trade, their complete loyalty to the Sultan was expected. Considering that my people were under 500 years of Ottoman occupation.
    Secondly, most Turkish women don't wear a hijab or burka. I have Turkish friends and they absolutely despise the stuff.
    I mean, it's not like Vikings, Knights or any other 'elite fighting group' in history has their hands clean either. Pop culture tends to gloss over that stuff to focus on the 'kewl' parts.

And yeah, I haven't met any Turkish women who wear hiab or burka either. The ones I've seen believes religion to be a personal matter (which is how it should be, imo). But I'm not Turkish so it wasn't really my place to comment on that.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post

Oh my god... Of all the names ( and character design btw) they could come up they thought this was ok. A Janissary was a member of the elite infantry units that formed the Ottoman Sultan's household troops and the first modern standing army in Europe. Janissaries began as elite corps made up through the devşirme system of child levy, by which Albanians, Armenians, Bulgarians, Croats, Greeks, and Serbs were taken, levied, subjected to circumcision and conversion to Islam, and incorporated into the Ottoman army. They became famed for internal cohesion cemented by strict discipline and order. Unlike typical slaves, they were paid regular salaries. Forbidden to marry before the age of 40 or engage in trade, their complete loyalty to the Sultan was expected. Considering that my people were under 500 years of Ottoman occupation.
    Perhaps they knew it wasn't ok but didn't care. After all to them "Europe is white", so you shouldn't worry about upsetting anyone about anything. My dad was a Bulgarian history teacher and this would've made him cringe.

Extraordinary Member

Would fans accept a '90s Hercules or Percy Jackson approach as mentioned earlier?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    SS wasnÂ’t received positively but she was. Critical yeah the film was bad, but her appearance wasnÂ’t.She only exploded from their further in ever possible way. DC kept putting her face on things and people kept buying it. Toys, costumes, animated film, etc. Post 2017 she was at a point of leading 4 titles simultaneously. Has WW ever ever had that opportunity, itÂ’s not favoritism itÂ’s the results.
    Wonder Woman was also 1 of the few things people generally liked in Batman vs Superman, and to a lesser degree even in Justice League, and unlike Harley Quinn she also had a true hit that was a film very much about herself. And i remind you again, that this worked for Wonder Woman without the crazy push Harley Quinn receives since dozens of years.

You are just contradicting yourself, you even say it yourself that Wonder Woman never got such opportunities, but then claim it is not favoritism it's the result. And you still don't even seem to realize that Harley Quinn is 1 of the worst characters you could have used for this comparison, because the favoritism for her is even more obvious than DC's sheer incompetence when it's about Wonder Woman.

Harley doesnÂ’t even have to be part of a story strongly anymore they use her the same way they use Batman. You put her on the cover and or include just to bump purchases. Sure she is bat character, but she has also moved quite past just being under his umbrella. She has never been the default or token female she been the one the audience choose. ThatÂ’s why her show was greenlit.
    If the next thing you say is that there is also no favoritism towards Batman at DC, i know that you are trolling, i would be just not sure why you do that.

If wonderwoman did have the better merch sales and the demand wouldnÂ’t she have more? Why would they not see potential and capitalize off her thatÂ’s what companies do. That one film must not have done enough. It was not followed up by much of anything, besides an animated film 3 years later. Wonderwoman has been around for 80 years, her brand should have as much weight as Bat and Supes, I can certain fault it under discrimination, sexism and even homophobia for a majority of that time 2010, 2012( the embargo was lifted of wonder girls) forward not much development why.
    Ok, i truly don't get you, do you not realize that you literally use DC's obvious incompetence as an argument against Wonder Woman by trying to claim it would be truly competence somehow? You again even said it yourself, the hit film which also resulted in hit sales for Wonder Woman merch was for years not followed up by much of anything, this is unjustifiable even from a strictly capitalistic perspective.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Not speaking for myself, but from what I noticed, many WW fans weren't terribly fond of how WW and her world were depicted there. I had no problem with it, but many on the WW boards didn't seem to be too thrilled with it.
    I don't think that Frontier meant Bruce Timm should head a Wonder Woman cartoon, because that would be truly just another sign of obvious incompetence on their part, i would assume in the vein of the DCAU just means that type of cartoon.

Would fans accept a '90s Hercules or Percy Jackson approach as mentioned earlier?
    What do you mean by that, strong comedic elements like in Hercules?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 05-02-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    What do you mean by that, strong comedic elements like in Hercules?
    I was referring to the following post:

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe they think kids won't take to Greek mythology? But then Disney did do Hercules in the 90s.
    So I was just wondering if people thought a similar approach would work. I don't necessarily think that, but I was just wondering if people think it would work.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 05-02-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I was referring to the following post:

So I was just wondering if people thought a similar approach would work. I don't necessarily think that, but I was just wondering if people think it would work.
    I amnot sure what approach is meant by that, maybe that the Greek mythology in Hercules was not myth accurate? That shouldn't be a problem, because it is quite typical for Wonder Woman anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman was also 1 of the few things people generally liked in Batman vs Superman, and to a lesser degree even in Justice League, and unlike Harley Quinn she also had a true hit that was a film very much about herself. And i remind you again, that this worked for Wonder Woman without the crazy push Harley Quinn receives since dozens of years.

You are just contradicting yourself, you even say it yourself that Wonder Woman never got such opportunities, but then claim it is not favoritism it's the result. And you still don't even seem to realize that Harley Quinn is 1 of the worst characters you could have used for this comparison, because the favoritism for her is even more obvious than DC's sheer incompetence when it's about Wonder Woman.

If the next thing you say is that there is also no favoritism towards Batman at DC, i know that you are trolling, i would be just not sure why you do that.

Ok, i truly don't get you, do you not realize that you literally use DC's obvious incompetence as an argument against Wonder Woman by trying to claim it would be truly competence somehow? You again even said it yourself, the hit film which also resulted in hit sales for Wonder Woman merch was for years not followed up by much of anything, this is unjustifiable even from a strictly capitalistic perspective.
    I am not contradicting myself. If Harley their favorite their reason for it and it Proably money.

https://www.vulture.com/2014/12/harl...ide-squad.html

https://sktchd.com/longform/harley-quinn-longform/

87A5D3A3-E395-4B26-B4F9-674A9C5DD4C6.jpg BFFA5B6A-BDE4-4F55-A52F-935052E17473.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Wonder Woman probably still sells well enough to get stuff greenlit. Or she should.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, admittedly Darkseid standing menacingly and letting things progress by his unspoken designs is very...Darkseid Is.
    He could at least speak more...

Then again, maybe this speaks of his evil, he's not just torturing the universe he lives in, but also the audience, maybe he's the reason why the quality has been dropping per season too .

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Well said. It's beyond parody now. Batman's car and freaking Kite Man got a show before WW.
    Fucking Kite Man? Aren't they talking a meme too far now? **** lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

I amnot sure what approach is meant by that, maybe that the Greek mythology in Hercules was not myth accurate? That shouldn't be a problem, because it is quite typical for Wonder Woman anyway.
    I guess I was referring to the Disney approach like they did with Hercules.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman probably still sells well enough to get stuff greenlit. Or she should.
    I guess we will all find out for sure soon under this new regime

I wonder how far the new animated movie universe will go now. Will they even continue to do them?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Considering her film did better than BvS, her first dtv ended up being one of their best sellers...we know she sells outside of comics. Her merch definitely sold after the first movie

According to Bloomberg, after opening weekend, Wonder Woman merchandise sales were estimated at $500 million – $1 billion across the industry.
    https://independentretailer.com/wond...uering-retail/