Page 409 of 693 FirstFirst ... 309359399405406407408409410411412413419459509 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 10394

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Specially considering Tim and Jon were made into bi characters in the comics, Impulse is far, far smaller than they are, so it's kinda odd they drew the line there lol.
    There's always a time frame issue, we don't know how long it's been since they asked considering it's been nearly a decade since Impulse first appeared in this show and what's been considered acceptable about depictions of queer people and relationships in pop culture has changed quite a bit in that time.

Also what DC considers okay in comics and what Warner Brothers considers okay in cartoons are not the same thing

I dunno, just weird for this magic related arc where nothing happens also wastes time in this unrelated character.
    Maybe we're about to discover that Beast Boy is related to Vandal Savage

It's also a bit harder to believe he's that messed up over Conner's death when they barely had on-screen interactions before season 4 lol.
    I mean for one thing it's a bit of an aggregate of the tragedies in his life. His mom, the Doom Patrol, assorted team mates (highlighted in his big season 3 episode) and now the man that was going to join his family. Also I recall them having a few interactions in season 2 in which Beast Boy tries to get Conner and M'gnn back together.

Welcome to Weisman-verse, where we make unnecessary connections for the sake of trimming down ****, including stuff like making Silver Sable be Silvermane's daughter.
    It was great in Gargoyles where they had to stitch a bunch of things that were never supposed to be connected together, but even then it still felt like a bunch of different factions while here it just all feels so homogenous.

Admitedly, that is the one connection between two unrelated groups in Spectacular Spider-Man that is jarring, but, yeah, it shows the silly problem with Weisman, and then we got all that bullshit with Vandal in """""Zatanna's"""""" arc, a friend of mine even joked that the "Medula Jewel" are his balls in YJ-verse .
    I think you meant "we got all the bullshit with Zatanna in Vandal's arc."

Okay, if we're talking about "romantic" history, let's not include the times he got raped.
    I generally agree with you but I know Tarantula was framed as an actual romance at the time and it was only afterwards that she was treated more as a victimizer than a love interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    There's always a time frame issue, we don't know how long it's been since they asked considering it's been nearly a decade since Impulse first appeared in this show and what's been considered acceptable about depictions of queer people and relationships in pop culture has changed quite a bit in that time.
    We're talking about the same cartoon that used Kenny-girl as Muslim bait lol.

Also what DC considers okay in comics and what Warner Brothers considers okay in cartoons are not the same thing
    Makes sense, while stuff's a bit more open minded now, with Kaldur'ahm being bi or whatever, it doesn't really mean they'll allow other random characters.

That being said, it'd still be weirdly arbitrary to not allow a gay Impulse since he's a tertiary character at this point, but then again, maybe it's because of that they're not going for it lol.

Maybe we're about to discover that Beast Boy is related to Vandal Savage
    I mean, everyone who has meta gene is his descendant, and while Garfield may not have it, he still can be related to Vandal lol.

But who knows, maybe Vandal is Garfield's mysterious father .

I mean for one thing it's a bit of an aggregate of the tragedies in his life. His mom, the Doom Patrol, assorted team mates (highlighted in his big season 3 episode) and now the man that was going to join his family.
    Yeah, but it's weird that the Mars episodes only focused on Brion killing his uncle, and now it's only Conner's death, while it's understandable to say he at this point should have healed to a certain extent from his mother's and Doom Patrol's deaths, they should at least get a mention.

Though I can understand why they wouldn't mention DP much, because they're off-screen characters and **** off-screen characters, they don't matter, but, y'know, should still mention his mother lol.

Also I recall them having a few interactions in season 2 in which Beast Boy tries to get Conner and M'gnn back together.
    That was on the second episode, and Conner ignored that right away lol.

While it at least indicates Garfield likes Conner, it's really not much, specially since Conner's death seems to be affecting him far more than anything else, and I think think they have any on-screen interactions between this and season 4.

It was great in Gargoyles where they had to stitch a bunch of things that were never supposed to be connected together, but even then it still felt like a bunch of different factions while here it just all feels so homogenous.
    Spectacular Spider-Man also did a good job with it, there are villains who exist because of Norman, villains who exist because of Tricorp, villains who got their powers from something else, or just independent villains in general, while it's still unifying more stuff than the way comics originally did it, it's still done in a way that isn't homogenized too much.

YJ on the other hand, it's mostly either Light in general, or just Vandal, it can get a bit annoying even if you're not a comics fan, since the world has so many villains yet it always defaults to the same characters all the time, but it's even worse if you know comics, and considering you need to know comics to be able to follow the plot better, it's just weird to do that since it may annoy comic fans with the changes lol.

I think you meant "we got all the bullshit with Zatanna in Vandal's arc."
    I don't, because that would imply Zatanna did anything .

I generally agree with you but I know Tarantula was framed as an actual romance at the time and it was only afterwards that she was treated more as a victimizer than a love interest.
    I don't care if that was a disgusting double standard at any point, if we say Tarantula is a romance for Dick then it can also be said that Sue Dibny had romance with Doctor Light, so yeah, let's not include the times Dick got raped if we're listing his romances.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I don't care if that was a disgusting double standard at any point, if we say Tarantula is a romance for Dick then it can also be said that Sue Dibny had romance with Doctor Light, so yeah, let's not include the times Dick got raped if we're listing his romances.
    Dr Light was not created as a love interest for Sue Dibny, not treated as one, not shown as having any relationship. Which is distinctly different from how Tarantula was created and treated. If we're listing Dick's comics love interests then, yes, she has a spot on that list.

Also being in a relationship with somebody does not mean that rape can't happen

the catwoman anime movie looks nice. I didn't even know it was in development. Pretty cool.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Im surprised it hasnt leaked yet

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Dr Light was not created as a love interest for Sue Dibny, not treated as one, not shown as having any relationship. Which is distinctly different from how Tarantula was created and treated. If we're listing Dick's comics love interests then, yes, she has a spot on that list.

Also being in a relationship with somebody does not mean that rape can't happen
    Don't really care about whatever dumb intent we originally had, we also had Carol being brainwashed and impregnated in Avengers#200, that was supposed to be a good thing, can we call that romance, even though other writers quickly decided to point out how terrible it was?

Same-ish thing happened with Karen, that romance too?

Not saying relationships are perfect, but if all that happens is the character being raped in it, then it's barely any different from Dr. Light raping Sue, and I definitely don't see how anything like that can be called "romance" lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-20-2022 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Don't really care about whatever dumb intent we originally had, we also had Carol being brainwashed and impregnated in Avengers#200, that was supposed to be a good thing, can we call that romance, even though other writers quickly decided to point out how terrible it was?

Same-ish thing happened with Karen, that romance too?

Not saying relationships are perfect, but if all that happens is the character being raped in it, then it's barely any different from Dr. Light raping Sue, and I definitely don't see how anything like that can be called "romance" lol.
    Oh, now you’ve made yourself clear. You obviously have no idea who Tarantula is or what the story you’re talking about consists of. Dick and Tarantula had numerous interactions before the rape where they fought crime and traded banter. So, no, that’s not “all that happens.”

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Im surprised it hasnt leaked yet
    Oh yeah, DC animated movies leaking has been a problem lately, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, DC animated movies leaking has been a problem lately, huh?
    All of them have leaked around a month before they were released on digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    All of them have leaked around a month before they were released on digital.
    Saying that now might jinx the film .

Welcome to Weisman-verse, where we make unnecessary connections for the sake of trimming down ****, including stuff like making Silver Sable be Silvermane's daughter.

Admitedly, that is the one connection between two unrelated groups in Spectacular Spider-Man that is jarring, but, yeah, it shows the silly problem with Weisman, and then we got all that bullshit with Vandal in """""Zatanna's"""""" arc, a friend of mine even joked that the "Medula Jewel" are his balls in YJ-verse .

The comics and other adaptations do stuff like this all the time. Characters, places and concepts that had nothing to do with each other get retconned into having a connection. Weisman is nowhere near as gratuitous about this as others and how he does it works more than most cases.

When it works, it works, when it doesn't...it just seems unnecessary.

Some times it works, most of the times it doesn't. In addition to "Everything is Vandal's plan" for YJ there's that Spider-man mini (not by Weisman) in which Norman Osbourn was related to the Sandman because they have the same haircut that people only talk about to make fun of.

Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it's good

I dont mind streamlining most of the time. What they've done with Vandal though....is just extreme.

Astonishing Member

I wonder how Brainiac was/would be handled in Young Justice.