Page 340 of 693 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390440 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 10395

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    With synergy, it depends on how you do it ultimately. Marvel has had good and bad examples of it. I really like how they incorporated 'Hope Pym' as 'Nadia Pym' into the MU but stuff like trying to retcon Clint's personality into a sloppy dudebro (Fraction's Hawkeye) which didn't fit in with either the MCU or any version of the MCU I've read didn't really work for me.
    I like Nadia but I really don't think we needed two Wasps in the comics. Janet barely gets used as is.
    Not just bad. Most of the time they just don't seem to care. And sometimes they come off as outright resentful if another character becomes too successful. JLU made John Stewart *the* Green Lantern for an entire generation of viewers to the point where when Hal's movie came out, some people thought DC whitewashed GL. So what did Johns and Didio do when they got promoted? They made Hal the default GL in every single adaptation going forward. We would be lucky to see John or any other GL show up in anything.
    I mean, Hal was the main GL in the comics at the time. I don't think the fact that he was being used in adaptions needed to be some resentful slight at John just because they were trying to build up Hal's image again. But I think Hal is as perfectly valid a GL as John is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Nadia but I really don't think we needed two Wasps in the comics. Janet barely gets used as is.

I mean, Hal was the main GL in the comics at the time. I don't think the fact that he was being used in adaptions needed to be some resentful slight at John just because they were trying to build up Hal's image again. But I think Hal is as perfectly valid a GL as John is.
    If they can have 2 Spider-Men, why can't they have 2 Wasps?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    If they can have 2 Spider-Men, why can't they have 2 Wasps?
    Because they barely do anything with the one Wasp?

Ultimate Member

Because they barely do anything with the one Wasp?
    So? It's not zero sum. I doubt they'd do much with Janet anyway considering how all the secondary Avengers are treated

The issue is not Hal being used. The issue is that we barely to get to see other GL's. Not just John. We got Guy in Brave and the Bold and John appeared for a bit in the Red Son adaptation but otherwise, it's been all Hal all the time. The only time we got someone besides Hal as the lead, it was Jessica Cruz in JL: Fatal Five.

Ultimate Member

So why do the comics not bother using more than one at once?

So? It's not zero sum. I doubt they'd do much with Janet anyway considering how all the secondary Avengers are treated
    My point is they should be doing more with her.
    The issue is not Hal being used. The issue is that we barely to get to see other GL's. Not just John. We got Guy in Brave and the Bold and John appeared for a bit in the Red Son adaptation but otherwise, it's been all Hal all the time. The only time we got someone besides Hal as the lead, it was Jessica Cruz in JL: Fatal Five.
    Guy was also in GL:TAS and the plan was for John to appear in the next season's storyline in a big way before the show got canned. It didn't seem like they were banned from using them or had no interest.

Jessica was also used in the Lego films after they'd used Hal for a few films, but, again, he was the main GL at the time.

If any GL has a right to complain about a lack of media attention, it's Kyle. Or maybe Alan.

Ultimate Member

I don't want to derail this thread any further but while I agree they should be doing more with Janet, it doesn't at all mean they shouldn't be doing anything with Nadia. Female heroes should get legacies too.

Guy was also in GL:TAS and the plan was for John to appear in the next season's storyline in a big way before the show got canned. It didn't seem like they were banned from using them or had no interest.

Jessica was also used in the Lego films after they'd used Hal for a few films, but, again, he was the main GL at the time.

If any GL has a right to complain about a lack of media attention, it's Kyle. Or maybe Alan.
    I was under the impression Kyle isn't very popular. I could be wrong though.

Kyle did really well in DC's Round Roubin thing.

It's not that Kyle isn't popular. He's just not used in adaptations. A GL who is also an artist and can serve as a self insert for artists, yeah, he can easily outshine everyone else if done right.

Ultimate Member

Kyle did really well in DC's Round Roubin thing.

It's not that Kyle isn't popular. He's just not used in adaptations. A GL who is also an artist and can serve as a self insert for artists, yeah, he can easily outshine everyone else if done right.
    So why isn't he used that much?

You're only proving that Hal is the default GL and nobody else gets a fair shake (except in Fatal Five) unless they're secondary characters or have to wait until Hal got his turn first.

After JLU ended (which is where Kyle last showed up) and DC began released those DTV movies starting with JL: Crisis on Two Earths, the default GL and Flash were Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. This continued into YJ and Nu52 movies. In the comics, post Nu 52, Kyle was the White Lantern for a bit and then disappeared before popping up in Tom King's Omega Men and later cameoing in the current GL run.

Kyle is not too heavily tied to teams besides the GLC. He was a prominent member of the JL during Morrison/Waid/Jones run but as far as animation is concerned in the late 00's to the '10's, Hal was the default GL. It's only recently that there were signs of DC bringing John Stewart back into prominence. Still no Kyle. Guy gets guest spots and support roles occasionally. I wish they had a rotating cast of GL's for the movies. Just say Hal/John is on a mission so Kyle or Guy can take over. The GL franchise is inherently an ensemble franchise.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Because he threatens Hal's place as head GL.

There’s too many GLs and not enough space for them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Kyle? No offense to Kyle fans but his days of being the big contender to Hal are loooong behind him. Hal, John, and Jess are the top Lanterns and right now Jo getting pushed also. Everyone else has to make do with scraps.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There’s too many GLs and not enough space for them all.
    And no one will ever agree on who the definitive lead of the franchise is.
    You're only proving that Hal is the default GL and nobody else gets a fair shake (except in Fatal Five) unless they're secondary characters or have to wait until Hal got his turn first.
    Hal's the default as much as the rest of the classic Big Seven are the default versions of their identities or the other "classic" characters.

He's never been a bar against other characters appearing within works where he's established GL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    (Why does this always come back to being Hal's fault...)