Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default The Big Five: DC Comics Recommendations

If you could recommend only five runs for a character, which would you choose?

I was organizing my collection, and I had thought about which 5 runs of a character I would recommend to someone if they asked me. I was looking at my Wonder Woman titles and in two boxes I had Perez, Messner-Loebs, Jimenez, Rucka's first run, Simone, Azzerello and Rucka's second run for WW. Seven distinct runs, but if given the choice of only recommending 5, which would I choose?

Tougher question: For things like Teen Titans and Legion of Super-Heroes; could I recommend anything outside of New Teen Titans and Levitz's run on the Legion. Compared to filling out a list for Batman and Superman, that is easy-breezy compared to a lot of other long running DC titles.

Take some time and list your top 5 solo character and ensemble runs you feel present the best representation of the respective character.

Platinum Points to anyone who can list 5 Hawkman/Hawkgirl runs that are worthy and not a colossal waste of effort.

These are the DP runs I like the most in the order I like the most and would recommend…:

Doom Patrol (1989) 19-87 (Morrison/Pollack)

Doom Patrol (2009) #1-22 by (Keith Giffen)

Doom Patrol (1987) #1-18 (Paul Kupperberg)

Doom Patrol in My Greatest Adventure (1964) #80-121

Doom Patrol (2004) #1-18 (John Byrne)

Fantastic Member

For Aquaman, i'd go his Adventure Comics run, his 1962 series, his 1986 series, his 1989 series, and his 1991 series.

Personally, I think I'd be hard-pressed to think of more than a handful of characters that's had 5 truly exceptional runs. (I love Hal, but I don't think even he's had 5) A DC character is lucky to have 2, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Personally, I think I'd be hard-pressed to think of more than a handful of characters that's had 5 truly exceptional runs. (I love Hal, but I don't think even he's had 5) A DC character is lucky to have 2, imo.
    ^^^I was thinking the same thing, really.