Extraordinary Member

Default The Flash 2024 Annual #1 Preview

The Flash 2024 Annual #1 Preview
    Writer: Simon Spurrier
    Artists: Scott Koblish, Amancay Nahuelpan, George Kambadais and Tom Derenick

This is kind of giving me Perfect Storm vibes.

I was tradewaiting Spurrier's run. Its a good primer for the cosmic horror he decided to explore. Big high concepts with decent character work.

It might read better if i read the other issues first but it does work as a sampler if you want to jump on.

PS. Jai West, Science detective would be a cool spinoff.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay the endlessly miserable tone of this book is really getting to me.

Especially the whole thing with Linda's depression as she's not getting any help with whats going on with her, and the book more so just keeps reminding us that she has a problem than actually doing anything with it.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Especially the whole thing with Linda's depression as she's not getting any help with whats going on with her, and the book more so just keeps reminding us that she has a problem than actually doing anything with it.
    I kind of agree, and I will add that I feel like I've seen both main themes here before. "Aloof, disconnected from reality, ubber powerful speed entity" Wally was seen a few times. And "let's break Wally's spirit", I mean, cīmon, we have 15 years of that with HiC being the cherry on top.

That said, execution here keeps me going. This feels like a story, not a mandate, and even though i feel like there's way too much set-up and I'm getting kind of impatient for some payoff, I very much like the weirdness of this arc, I like that every character is somehow represented and fairly (Max is a little over the top with his speed-coach speak, but everyone else is fine to great). Also, we're getting a threat that answers the question of "what could be a threat to 9 speedsters and a superstring speed force connected kid".

Yes, I wanted a few more light-hearted moments from this tunu, but overall I'm liking it very much. Feels like "Morrison's Animal Man applied to the Flash", which despite not being an approach that I would like to become default, is welcome now and then.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I agree, the tone is starting to bother me. However, the plot is interesting and the story is compelling, which is what keeps me reading.

Also, the art in this is better than in the main book for the most part.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nš8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I think Linda's "depression" is being caused by Grodd or some other Rogue as part of their big plan. At least that's how I'm reading it. None of the Flash family are acting like themselves. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think they are all being manipulated mentally.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I think Linda's "depression" is being caused by Grodd or some other Rogue as part of their big plan. At least that's how I'm reading it. None of the Flash family are acting like themselves. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think they are all being manipulated mentally.
    I think we're overdue for a little win from the heroes, that would alleviate some of my issues.

Not saying the villains plans should immediately fall apart, but since so far its 9 issues of the heroes being led around the villains machinations hook line and sinker, a win no matter how small it is to show the heroes are beginning to regain control would be effective.