Page 362 of 693 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412462 ... LastLast
Results 5,416 to 5,430 of 10395
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's why Gotham stood out the most.
    ...wasnt he played by a white actor though in Gotham?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC uses original minority characters all the time. They just get ignored when people want to complain about raceswaps. A black Deadshot didn't stop Bloodsport and a black Constantine doesn't mean Bloodwynd or Dr. Mist won't appear.

I won't even get into the issues with comparing this to black or brown face and why that comparison doesn't work.
    How doesn’t it work? DC is trying to pass these raceswaps off as actual diversity when the characters are still White everywhere else! If you’re going to race swap at least commit to it and make the character that race EVERYWHERE! Otherwise, it’s exactly how I described it, White character in Black/Brown/Asian face
    Last edited by Samm; 11-17-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    ...wasnt he played by a white actor though in Gotham?
    That makes it really weird that they called him "Eduardo" and the actor seemed to be going for a Hispanic accent (I've never seen him in anything before so I'm not sure if that's what he actually sounds like).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

That makes it really weird that they called him "Eduardo" and the actor seemed to be going for a Hispanic accent (I've never seen him in anything before so I'm not sure if that's what he actually sounds like).
    Yeah the actor is Shane West and is white lol

They may have changed the character to be hispanic but actor wise...same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    How doesn’t it work? DC is trying to pass these raceswaps off as actual diversity when the characters are still White everywhere else! If you’re going to race swap at least commit to it and make the character that race EVERYWHERE! Otherwise, it’s exactly how I described it, White character in Black/Brown/Asian face
    You clearly dont know anything about these "faces". Adapting characters is not how you think it should work just so there can be another reason to be angry
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 11-17-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Speaking of, Gotham is like the only live-action Bane that was actually racially accurate...not that it made him a good Bane, but still.
    In what way do you mean?

Bane has always been portrayed as pretty white.

They had a subplot where they thought his dad was Thomas Wayne... and I heard it was revealed to be King Snake... the Whitest white guy around.

He may have been raised in Santa Prisca.... but you couldn't tell it by looking at him. Sadly I don't think there's ever been a good casting for him yet....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In what way do you mean?

Bane has always been portrayed as pretty white.

They had a subplot where they thought his dad was Thomas Wayne... and I heard it was revealed to be King Snake... the Whitest white guy around.

He may have been raised in Santa Prisca.... but you couldn't tell it by looking at him.
    Yeah, but he's still ethnically hispanic on his mothers side and most adaptions that aren't live-action run with that.

Official trailer for Multiversus out, coming 2022:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

So a FTP multiverse WB smash game
    I never would have thought GRRM would sell his IP to WB for them to legit have a claim on arya or any ASOIAF character

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue at times is most do NOT audition for those roles.

Either they don't know about them or they don't bother.

Wesley Jonathan, Arjay Smith & the late Lee Thompson Young-Gary from What I Like About You (Wesley), Allen Strange (Arjay) and Famous Jett Jackson (Lee). All those roles including Alex Mack from the Secret World of Alex Mack where meant to be white males.

In all cases that is what showed up and those 3 were the only POC at those auditions. If the don't specify race casting call-a lot of POC are not going to bother. They think they don't have a shot.

Also how many POC were told to leave and not given get a shot? Maulik Pancholy wrote about that happening before.
    I was addressing this was part of Sodam Yat's post where he said "You're literally racebending a character with a specific ethnicity in casting. They're disregarding their talent, because they don't have the right skin color for the job. It's not just whites, though. What about the other minorities who aren't black? It's discriminatory against them."

My point was that it isn't discriminatory that if they just narrowed it down to just black actors since they are presumably going to pick the best actor out of all them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    We're Dr Mist or Bloodwynd ever being adapted anyeay
    Dr Mist showed up in the Constantine tv show briefly. Bloodwynd hasn't gotten a shot yet and is very obscure to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    How does making Constantine black mean Dr Mist wont appear? Marvel has racebent/genderbent characters as well.
    There is still this unspoken of 'quota' of the number of poc characters you can have an in an adaptation. Dwayne McDuffie spoke out against it at one point, pointing how just because his JLA had more than three black superheroes people were calling it a 'Black JLA' even though there were still dozens of white characters who had more screen time and most of the choices regarding the roster wasn't his anyway.

If DC can race bend established character that partly means they won't take a chance on less established characters. The current JLD roster doesn't even have a poc character. So instead of building up and elevating an existing character they're opting to just race bend members of the existing roster. Either way, we'll just end up with more of the same characters rather than make any meaningful breakthrough in diversity. Constantine already has a tv show, a movie, multiple animated appearances and a long running comic series and is the only member of JLD that got another shot at an ongoing. A black Constantine just means adding more to the pile while the rest of DC's rosters especially characters like Bloodwynd, Dr Mist and Vixen are just sitting on the side lines for no reason.

Racebending is fine especially when working with decades old franchises and it can add to characters and open up new avenues of story telling. But it has to be well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Official trailer for Multiversus out, coming 2022:

I love how they specifically point out how it'll have voice acting .

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

If they want to do a series about a Black Magician just use Dr. Mist.

Dr.MistCurrent.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Racebending is fine especially when working with decades old franchises and it can add to characters and open up new avenues of story telling. But it has to be well thought out.
    It's not unless you got folks in charge that will make sure established POC get used.

Yeah a black Deadshot does not stop Bloodsport but some at Dc has to APPROVE usage of Bloodsport.

And that has been the issue prior to the 2000s.

Honestly with the mindset of "Let's change popular characters instead of putting in the work to build the universe first", can you imagine what the MCU would've been like had it started today.
    This still has to be DONE.

What Samm is pointing out is once you get a black Iris in Flash-where else are we going to see her to make more MONEY.

Falcon is making Marvel money as himself and Cap America.

What is a black Constantine going to get you once you get past the movie? He's not going to boost sales of the stuff his white version has. Just another black character that has nothing and joins that pile with Bloodwynd and others.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

So the League of SuperPets trailer leaked. It looks fun and the designs for the Justice League are really interesting, basically a mishmash of eras.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    So the League of SuperPets trailer leaked. It looks fun and the designs for the Justice League are really interesting, basically a mishmash of eras.
    Got a link?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/