Page 592 of 693 FirstFirst ... 92492542582588589590591592593594595596602642692 ... LastLast
Results 8,866 to 8,880 of 10395
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And Young Justice's writing style means Batman doesn't get enough screen time to be properly developed lol.

YJ tries to be a cartoon about DC's world, like it's trying to be more than one comic run at once, while not having more than one cartoon, so it can be such a fucking mess...

It doesn't help that despite trying to be about DC's world, they default to developing the same characters, which's specially noticeable in season 4, since despite that seasons being supposedly about developing more characters, among the Team's classic members, the developed ones were the same (M'gann, Artemis), and the rest were just poorly done development, like Rocket and Kaldur'ahm, or just non-existent, like Dick and Zatanna.

It's actually hilarious to realize that most of Dick's character development comes from his brief appearance in "Kaldur'ahm's" arc, when he finally admits he's an ******* lol
    I think the main issue is like, okay compare this to Justice League Unlimited. You remember those one-off episodes, the ones generally aren't really related to the main plot and tended to be these self-contained stories focusing on specific characters? Like sure they weren't relevant to the wider myth arc, but they were well-liked for offering breaks to the main stories and expanding on the setting by giving these characters focus in the limelight. What helped is the brevity, most of them were only 1 episode long.

Young Justice though takes those stories and turns them into whole-ass arcs. Like the episode where Wonder Woman, and Hawk & Dove team up to fight the armor of Ares in the middle of a warzone, Booster Gold trying to stop a scientist from becoming a black hole, or Green Arrow helping out Canary to get Wildcat out of a superhuman fight club.

Imagine if those stories all took 4 episodes to finish. Again they weren't single-episode stories wrapped up in a neat little bow, possibly to be referenced later or not (like the Ares Armor was relevant to the Suicide Squad episode), but each of those conflicts individually required multiple episodes to tell.

I would say thats the main issue with Young Justice, its too overwrought. Like how Beast Boy's trauma and therapy took up the entire season, which meant most of the time was him not making any sort of progress or doing anything for the majority of the season until near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I always felt like WW was the true muscle of the trinity. Superman the face and Bats the brains
    Imagine using that absolutely awful movie as your basis for how you see DC characters.

I think it'd make more sense to use Ares for that, but maybe it'd be too obvious.
    Circe's more fun .
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    How effective WW is depends on the product. That could be said about any comic character. But for years now, the only consistency about WW is being a middle of the road mess that never really shines bright at anything. aquaman has better feats than her now. And has beat her more than once. While she has never beat him.

I am assuming that WW will get destroyed by Mongul like she always has. I admire you for still having faith that DC won't portray her as a weaklink next to the big foes. If only i had that kind of faith.
    Well, I've enjoyed a few of her recent media appearances.

She did kill him in Flashpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ok Baby-Doll is the second Dini episode that was a miss for me. I guess her situation is kinda sad, but she’s super annoying and her plan was stupid. Catwalk was the first, I just really don’t dig DCAU Catwoman. As I get further in towards the back end of the series (I’m watching in release order), it’s crazy how many episodes Dini writes. He really does take over as the main writer.

Sometimes I think the writers hate Robin. Often he ends up being useless or making things worse. His best showing was the Robin’s Reckoning 2-parter. He’s never been as good since then.
    I remember a few solid Robin episodes, like that one involving Scarecrow and his college or I think one where he took point with Riddler. But it has been a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think the main issue is like, okay compare this to Justice League Unlimited. You remember those one-off episodes, the ones generally aren't really related to the main plot and tended to be these self-contained stories focusing on specific characters? Like sure they weren't relevant to the wider myth arc, but they were well-liked for offering breaks to the main stories and expanding on the setting by giving these characters focus in the limelight. What helped is the brevity, most of them were only 1 episode long.

Young Justice though takes those stories and turns them into whole-ass arcs. Like the episode where Wonder Woman, and Hawk & Dove team up to fight the armor of Ares in the middle of a warzone, Booster Gold trying to stop a scientist from becoming a black hole, or Green Arrow helping out Canary to get Wildcat out of a superhuman fight club.

Imagine if those stories all took 4 episodes to finish. Again they weren't single-episode stories wrapped up in a neat little bow, possibly to be referenced later or not (like the Ares Armor was relevant to the Suicide Squad episode), but each of those conflicts individually required multiple episodes to tell.

I would say thats the main issue with Young Justice, its too overwrought. Like how Beast Boy's trauma and therapy took up the entire season, which meant most of the time was him not making any sort of progress or doing anything for the majority of the season until near the end.
    The whole Zatanna arc really could have ended in like 1-2 episodes aside from all the stuff they did to drag it out, especially since Child/Flaw's weakness ended up being something so simple in the end.

Past seasons had a few more one-off episodes but it was always about the main arc in the end.

Why.

Always thought this was mainly Timm’s fault but he didn’t direct this episode or write it based off of the opening credits. Clearly he wasn’t the only one on the team who wanted it, and it’s so freaking weird because after this dream, they immediately cut to Dick waking Babs up and trying to get her to go on a date with him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's fair to say many people's adoration of the DCAU is mostly nostalgia-driven. That or people just don't remember some of the bad things it did, since the positives tend to outweigh the negatives.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I always felt like WW was the true muscle of the trinity. Superman the face and Bats the brains
    Too bad that most of her trackrecord still sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Circe's more fun .

Well, I've enjoyed a few of her recent media appearances.

She did kill him in Flashpoint.

I remember a few solid Robin episodes, like that one involving Scarecrow and his college or I think one where he took point with Riddler. But it has been a while.

The whole Zatanna arc really could have ended in like 1-2 episodes aside from all the stuff they did to drag it out, especially since Child/Flaw's weakness ended up being something so simple in the end.

Past seasons had a few more one-off episodes but it was always about the main arc in the end.
    She was defeated by AQ in flashoint. She killed him when he had his guard down. Great achievement for WW. Sigh

Why.

Always thought this was mainly Timm’s fault but he didn’t direct this episode or write it based off of the opening credits. Clearly he wasn’t the only one on the team who wanted it, and it’s so freaking weird because after this dream, they immediately cut to Dick waking Babs up and trying to get her to go on a date with him.
    I think it was fine as like a schoolgirl crush. They never should've made it an actual thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    She was defeated by AQ in flashoint. She killed him when he had his guard down. Great achievement for WW. Sigh
    Well, Flashpoint Wonder Woman's not a good Diana anyways ...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's fair to say many people's adoration of the DCAU is mostly nostalgia-driven. That or people just don't remember some of the bad things it did, since the positives tend to outweigh the negatives.
    I grew up watching The Batman cartoon, looking forward to rewatching that and comparing it with the DCAU. There’s definitely some areas where the DCAU remains top notch, particularly in the voice acting, music, and art direction. But there’s also plenty that’s aged like milk. I think people forget just how stiff the action in the early DCAU is. It’s getting better in BTAS as I progress.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I like the Aquaman vs Wonder Woman fights! They’re cool and make sense to me! Themyscira vs Atlantis! Pretty cool match up! Plus Diana always defeats Arthur in those scenarios anyway (JLU, Flashpoint, JSA)… love to see that fight in live action
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I grew up watching The Batman cartoon, looking forward to rewatching that and comparing it with the DCAU. There’s definitely some areas where the DCAU remains top notch, particularly in the voice acting, music, and art direction. But there’s also plenty that’s aged like milk. I think people forget just how stiff the action in the early DCAU is. It’s getting better in BTAS as I progress.
    I feel like I was kind of in that hit spot age-wise to where I was still young enough to really experience both the DCAU and The Batman around the time both were coming out. I think I was like 10 The Batman first premiered.

I think I remember wondering why Batman sounded so much like Spider-Man .

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

It also helps that episodes being isolated can at random be used later to develop another story.

Like, you referenced that Annihilator armor being relevant for the Suicide Squad episode, that same armor was used later by Faust in a Wonder Woman/Shayera episode.

Not that an episode has to connect with another to be cool, it's just nice for an episodic story telling to do this once in a while, and stories tht are way too inter connected feel more limited, and YJ is definitely this at its worst, since it's at times way too much about the Light, and even when it isn't it can be too much about whatever is the main threat.

Even at the end he didn't do anything, because while we see him being super sad for a bunch of episodes, the show makes no effort in showing how he recovers, so we get yet another development that only happens offscreen, and this time we can't even use a timeskip as an excuse.

And to make it even dumber, what starts Garfield's downward spiral is Conner's death, yet, he's not even shown reacting to Conner returning, so that gives me the impression the writers only cared about making an arc about someone being super sad, and that's it, without a care about the recovery, just to give the message "Mental health is important, mmkay?".

So yeah, Garfield's depression is something that showed up in a bunch of episodes and ultimately amounted to barely anything, and I would be okay with that if it was well executed for his own development, but they didn't do a good job on his recover at all.

Circe's more fun .
    I guess so lol.

I still find it funny that the Justice League Action episode where she teams up with Luthor, has her clearly being the more dangerous one between both, even when Luthor has Zeus' power, she casually gets rid of them... Which, suprised me, 'cause Diana's rogues don't really get respected, and in this situation Luthor was the butt of a joke lol.

But "Zatanna's" arc needed to end with a variation of "Why are you telling me what I already know?" at least four times for full effect .

I can't think of many one-offs outside of season 1, since almost everything was connected with the Light or whatever's the current main threat, but we still got Harm's episode, and episodes about Red Tornado, giving us like what, 3 episodes? But seasons 2, 3, and specially 4, can't remember anything not being connected to the main arc.

Maybe Despero's episode from season 2 counts, even if that one ended up getting connected with the main arc by having the Reach reveal that the League has a satellite base.

Why.
    It's funny, since you're talking about BTAS on the last posts, I already knew you're talking about Batman/Barbara shipping, 'cause few things would bring that kind of reaction lol.

Why's Barbara looking so damn small?

Wonder if that's supposed to appeal to female watchers by having Barbara with more than one option lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah while it has pretty high highs, it has low lows.

My favorite punching bag about DCAU having bad **** is the rushed way they tried to get rid of Supergirl, with her and Brainiac V speedrunning falling in love.

That and Batman being Terry's father, that idea was terrible from the start, and it looks even worse after I've realized that Warren got cucked in the weirdest way possible, and it's also iffy, to put it lightly, for Mary to be carrying another man's child without being aware of it...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I like the Aquaman vs Wonder Woman fights! They’re cool and make sense to me! Themyscira vs Atlantis! Pretty cool match up! Plus Diana always defeats Arthur in those scenarios anyway (JLU, Flashpoint, JSA)… love to see that fight in live action
    JLU had Diana being the superior fighter, but then Aquaman won anyways by doing the most telegraphed grab in existence and jumping with her in water.

I feel like I was kind of in that hit spot age-wise to where I was still young enough to really experience both the DCAU and The Batman around the time both were coming out. I think I was like 10 The Batman first premiered.

I think I remember wondering why Batman sounded so much like Spider-Man :P.
    Are you talking about The Batman's version of Bruce or Terry? .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-01-2023 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I think it was fine as like a schoolgirl crush. They never should've made it an actual thing.

Well, Flashpoint Wonder Woman's not a good Diana anyways ...
    WW lost to AQ in DCAU, Flashpoint, JSA. And has never beat him in New 52 and Rebirth the times they fought. So trackrecord says AQ>WW.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Wonder Woman has never beat AQ. She only ''won'' in flashpoint by taking him of guard with the magic sword, asfter he had already beat her until batman released her.

WW lost to AQ in DCAU, Flashpoint, JSA movie. And has never beat him in New 52 and Rebirth the times they fought. So trackrecord says AQ>WW.

The rest of her amazinbg modern trackrecord included betweenb comics and movies. Having her bones broken by Doomsday in one hit, Overpowered by Mongul multiple times. Destroyed by SM in 2 hits in the jl movie, cut by cactus needles, hurt by a car crash, unable to turn the key to the Atlanean tower rockets. Which presumably Atlanteans should able to do. She turned it off-panel after Batman showed up to help her in Lex's warsuit. This takes place at the Earth's core but the area is magically protected from the heat and pressure by Atlantean magic. While Aquaman can swim to the Earth's core without that magical protection, struggled to stop a wrecking ball, Struggled to lift a 30 ton tanks in WW17 movie.

Even at the end he didn't do anything, because while we see him being super sad for a bunch of episodes, the show makes no effort in showing how he recovers, so we get yet another development that only happens offscreen, and this time we can't even use a timeskip as an excuse.

And to make it even dumber, what starts Garfield's downward spiral is Conner's death, yet, he's not even shown reacting to Conner returning, so that gives me the impression the writers only cared about making an arc about someone being super sad, and that's it, without a care about the recovery, just to give the message "Mental health is important, mmkay?".

So yeah, Garfield's depression is something that showed up in a bunch of episodes and ultimately amounted to barely anything, and I would be okay with that if it was well executed for his own development, but they didn't do a good job on his recover at all.
    this was what really killed the Beast Boy "arc" for me. Just no care at all given to recovery, he just gets worse and worse and worse and then smash cut to him with a dog.

But "Zatanna's" arc needed to end with a variation of "Why are you telling me what I already know?" at least four times for full effect .
    After all, it wasn't Zatanna's arc, it was Vandal Savage's. Technically it feels like they were all Vandal Savage's arcs.

I can't think of many one-offs outside of season 1, since almost everything was connected with the Light or whatever's the current main threat, but we still got Harm's episode, and episodes about Red Tornado, giving us like what, 3 episodes? But seasons 2, 3, and specially 4, can't remember anything not being connected to the main arc.
    I felt there were quite a few episodes in seasons 1 and 2 that were pretty much self-contained beyond a shot of Vandal Savage walking out of some shadows and saying "Exactly as planned." They had a beginning, a middle, and an end that largely resolved the current conflict. I can't really say that for season 4