Page 502 of 693 FirstFirst ... 2402452492498499500501502503504505506512552602 ... LastLast
Results 7,516 to 7,530 of 10394
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It LOOKS bad.

Especially to a POC. It just sends the wrong message to me. It seems a lot of folks are not liking what they have seen.

I could get if the film was not started or like 10% done. This film was done-eat that loss.

And for those saying look at the test audience comments-I can name a bunch of movies and shows that test audiences did not care for. Like Friends and Rambo.

Let it come out and let everyone judge it for themselves. If is bad lets point out those bad parts so it can help those directors and actors get better.
    It's easy to say let it come out and let everyone judge but those that say that a bad product is better than none at all are correct. Think JL. The damage the Whedon movie did to the JL brand is way more than what it cost to make that movie.

It made the premiere hero team in all western comics not even comparable to something like TGOTG.

Batgirl is a very valuable IP. far too valuable to gamble with. DC needs to gamble with lesser IPs not stuff like batgirl.

Eat that loss. Can they afford to eat that loss? You are talking just the money but there's more at stake than the money. DC is very slowly coming back from their association with **** superhero movies. Right now they might not be able to eat that loss or just gamble with dependable IPs.

Let JL be a example. Even Juggernut Ips can lose enormous value just from one bad movie.

It looks bad on the suits and that's okay. Suits come and go. Suits are the comic properties.

After Burton we had couple of "interesting" Batman movies that also did some damage to the brand.

Oh, yes. Those movies. It had to wait until 2005 for a different take on the character, but I think than the Animated series from Dini and Timm helped to lessen the damage.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It LOOKS bad.

Especially to a POC. It just sends the wrong message to me. It seems a lot of folks are not liking what they have seen.

I could get if the film was not started or like 10% done. This film was done-eat that loss.

And for those saying look at the test audience comments-I can name a bunch of movies and shows that test audiences did not care for. Like Friends and Rambo.

Let it come out and let everyone judge it for themselves. If is bad lets point out those bad parts so it can help those directors and actors get better.
    All of this reads like a fan with no business acumen angry they're not getting what they want.

Look, I'm not happy with the cancelation either, but the notion that you release something and if it bombs then at least you can develop the talent-- it's a misunderstanding of the medium.

If the talent fails, they're done. They don't come back, you have no vested interest in developing them.

Furthermore, there is such a thing as tanking an IP. Ghost Rider has no reason not to be Marvel's midnight Halloween movie and it's inert because they **** the bed. Twice.

Steel still has the Shaq movie around his neck. Good luck ever getting another big budget adaption of The Spirit. Batgirl is a big IP, so I do understand the idea that they're afraid of more compounded failure after the Snyder debacle, cult and also the Amber Heard/Ezra Miller situation. From a brand perspective, they can't afford more bad press right now. Hell, I love Shazam but I think both Black Adam and Shazam 2 look worrisome. I honestly don't think DC has a live action winner in the works right now from a quality perspective and I only hope they get some profitable crowd pleasers like Aquaman was.

The thing is, well, I firmly disagree with them that this isn't bad press and a worse decision, but this wasn't a decision based on press or IP. That's clearly spin. This is all in the name of itemizing losses for tax benefits as a result of the merger. It's just some bullshit, but they're not going to release it and can't or they'll owe backpay on the movie they're claiming as a merger-related loss.

You're coming across this as a fan and arguing business sense, but your justifications are emotional. They're not the same here, and emotions are metrics in business transactions. Commodities to be measured and sold, not banked on.

I disagree with their reasoning, but your justifications are weak.

You mention Rambo. First Blood specifically is what I'm assuming, but you're cherry picking out the fact that they took the movie from the director and forced an ending change that abandoned everything the film set up. Rambo was supposed to commit suicide at the climax rather than get captured again, not give himself up. Audiences didn't like that so he basically went against character and then evolved into the very thing he was created to condemn in following movies.

So no, Rambo is not a good example of a movie releasing despite bad screening. It's an example of studio meddling taking an idea and churning out more palatable profit.

First Blood, while still good, is more the best case scenario of the Whedon Justice League with respect to DC. However it's an awful comparison for "just release it and let the court of public opinion decide."

Army of Darkness has a similar ending situation but at least they got to retool it at the end of Ash va Evil Dead.

I'm bummed we're not getting this movie, but come on. If you took that argument to the board room they'd immediately take a vote of no confidence in you.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-05-2022 at 11:19 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Everyone’s making arguments assuming that the test audience scores indicates a movie worse than Batman and Robin when they’re really comparable to a number of films that ended up coming out and being extremely successful and well-loved. Nothing to indicate that cancelling the film is worth losing out of the trust of the fans and the creators

It’s easy to say business needs to be impersonal when you’re running a grocery store or manufacturing cars. It’s a lot harder to do when the people you hire are the product.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Everyone’s making arguments assuming that the test audience scores indicates a movie worse than Batman and Robin when they’re really comparable to a number of films that ended up coming out and being extremely successful and well-loved. Nothing to indicate that cancelling the film is worth losing out of the trust of the fans and the creators

It’s easy to say business needs to be impersonal when you’re running a grocery store or manufacturing cars. It’s a lot harder to do when the people you hire are the product.
    I've heard so many things about test audiences, from people enjoying to hating it, that I don't put much stock there. I firmly believe their decision was about cutting costs and possibly some spite and pride.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I've heard so many things about test audiences, from people enjoying to hating it, that I don't put much stock there. I firmly believe their decision was about cutting costs and possibly some spite and pride.
    I initially heard test reactions were mixed, but that doesn't mean the final product would have been the same which is entirely why they have test audiences.

The sandman is pretty solid. Shame matt ryan isnt in it, even tho jenna is ok. Jj cant stop screwing us even when he does nothing. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    The sandman is pretty solid. Shame matt ryan isnt in it, even tho jenna is ok. Jj cant stop screwing us even when he does nothing. That is all.
    At least Ryan's coming back as John in Harley Quinn .

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    I thought the first episode was as pretty good. But it was very disappointing to not see the DC or Vertigo logo at the beginning or even a “Based on characters from DC Comics”. Man, WB screwed up by not getting this to be on HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I thought the first episode was as pretty good. But it was very disappointing to not see the DC or Vertigo logo at the beginning or even a “Based on characters from DC Comics”. Man, WB screwed up by not getting this to be on HBO Max.
    Eh seeing as how Max Originals have a potentially dicey future, it might be for the best that it's on another service for now. Although Netflix doesn't have the best renewal history to be fair

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I hope the actors and crew find more work at least.

Incredible Member

DC Super Pets looks to take second at the box office, dropping 64% from its opening day last week. With the animated film’s domestic gross currently standing at $38 million, it still has a ways to go to recoup a $90 million production budget.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ed-1235334968/