Page 125 of 693 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225625 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 10394

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Batman "torturing" is holding a guy off a rooftop. It's not like he water boards people or breaks their kneecaps with a hammer.
    "torture - any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession,"

http://www.irct.org/what-is-torture/...g-torture.aspx

Bruce has also done more than hold people off rooftops. What he does is torture and is just as, if not more, morally repugnant than killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    "torture - any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession,"

Bruce has also done more than hold people off rooftops. What he does is torture and is just as, if not more, morally repugnant than killing.
    Yes I know what torturing is, why give a definition? All super-heroes do it, I don't know why you single out Batman or believe that torturing is just as bad or worse than killing. Killing is the absolute worst thing you can do to another person.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Yes I know what torturing is, why give a definition? All super-heroes do it, I don't know why you single out Batman or believe that torturing is just as bad or worse than killing. Killing is the absolute worst thing you can do to another person.
    Not all superheroes do it. I mentioned Batman because he's relevant to the conversation, not because I'm singling him out. Not to mention how what he does could be lethal in real life yet writers ignore this. I mean he refuses to use handguns but stacks the Batmobile and Batplane with missiles and guns and uses Bat shaped grenades. Also, no killing is not the worst thing you can do to a person. There is such a thing as a fate worse than death.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-17-2016 at 02:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Depends on the writer, Huntress Year One stated that Batman avoids disfiguring his enemies or subjecting them to any permanent injury. Then there was another comic which is slipping my mind but it had a character(Superman?) state that Batman hates violence. Killing however displays no such flexibility from writer, it's the Batman rule and paramount to his characterization breaking it is betraying the character, it's not an argument about humanity just characterization. If he kills then he kills, no other opinion or argument about that. Torture can be relative to the writer, laws, perception etc. Even severe pain and suffering is relative, he (and other heroes) inflict severe pain and suffering on a mob boss every time they bust his million dollar drug deal.

Batman uses intimidation and threats to get suspects or criminals to reveal information. Something that other heroes, even ones more clean-cut and overtly nicer then Batman, and police take part in. I think it's out-of-character for Batman to start breaking people's bones or beating on them to get information out of them, and when he's acting like that there's usually something going on that's causing him to lash out this way.

It's even more out-of-character for him to kill people.

Mighty Member

‘Krypton’ Casting Call For Superman’s Grandfather & 5 More Characters

Sure, Superman’s native home planet is going to (SPOILER ALERT!) go boom at the end, but if the casting breakdowns for Syfy’s recently greenlit Krypton pilot are any indication, there was some serious drama playing out in the decades prior.

Krypton’s lead characters include:

SEG-EL | Envisioned here as athletic, quietly confident and in his 20s, comic fans are familiar with an older (and a bit grumpier) Seg from his appearance in the classic Starman No. 51, written by James Robinson with story by Robinson and David S. Goyer, who is executive producer/writer of Krypton. But Seg’s a good guy at any age; in the comics, he and son Jor-El (Kal-El/Superman’s father) helped Starman get away while other Kryptonians wanted to detain – and dissect – the Earthling.

LYTA ZOD | This twentysomething beauty will likely have some familial tie to Superman’s future foe, General Zod, while she herself is a (reluctant) warrior.

VAL-EL | Seg’s genius grandpa defied death by going into the Phantom Zone, and is a staunch believer in space exploration. (We know that’s a lesson he’ll pass along to his great-grandson.)
    Other characters include:

ALURA ZOD | Lyta’s mom happens to bear the same name as Kara Zor-El’s mother on Supergirl, while “Zod” always raises an eyebrow because of that whole “kneel before” thing.

DEV-EM | If anyone is going to survive Krypton’s inevitable fate, it’ll be this chiseled, twentysomething bad boy. In the comics, Dev escapes the doomed planet, abuses Superboy on Earth and eventually becomes an ally of the Legion of Super-Heroes… in the 30th century.

TER-EL | AKA Seg’s father. We didn’t get him to play Supergirl’s Man of Steel, but maybe Tom Welling (Smallville) could play Clark’s great-grandfather on Krypton?

Production on the pilot is slated to begin in Montreal later this summer.
    source

Incredible Member

Batman "torturing" is holding a guy off a rooftop. It's not like he water boards people or breaks their kneecaps with a hammer.
    Think again.

Batman can be even more ruthless than Jack Bauer himself if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Think again.

Batman can be even more ruthless than Jack Bauer himself if he wants to.
    So bad writing means Batman is a sadistic ******* and we should accept it as the norm, then sure you got me there.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

So bad writing means Batman is a sadistic ******* and we should accept it as the norm, then sure you got me there.
    I can accept Batman turning to some pretty brutal tactics as a last resort in an absolutely desperate situation, kind of like how I accept Wonder Woman killing Max Lord even though she doesn't run around casually snapping people's necks. But this scene with the Penguin does feel out of character and doesn't do enough to justify the brutality. I mean, it's the Penguin. How hard is it to squeeze information out of him?

he tortures people all the time in the arkham games.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    he tortures people all the time in the arkham games.
    In Asylum you don't torture anyone, you just fight prisoners and Titan thugs. Arkham City introduced the interrogation mechanic where depending on your surrounds you interrogated guys for Riddler trophy locations by picking them up by their neck, dangling them off buildings, held them against the ground, or against walls. They lasted about 5 seconds and then Batman would knock them out. Origins and Knight had the mechanic also. In a cut-scene for Origins Batman throws a guy off a building into a Christmas tree which resulted in breaking the guy's arm. That's all the "torture" that is in the game. You want see torture look at the GTA 5 mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GGXrLcNgwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GGXrLcNgw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GGXrLcNgw
    How is what he's doing to black mask right before the copperhead fight not torture?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

LEGENDS has cast its new VIXEN, Maise Richardson-Sellers. She is playing the Grandmother of Mari McCabe.

http://screenrant.com/legends-tomorr...rdson-sellers/

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Yeah he hit a guy a few times when asking for answers so it fits the definition (Not very experienced Batman also just saved him from a much more brutal torture so I guess we will ignore the good thing Batman just did ), like I said earlier every hero does it and generally it isn't to any extremes to where it's out of character. Every time a superhero interrogates someone you could say they are hurting them whether it's physically or mentally. This whole argue stemmed from people not understanding what is out of character for Batman i.e killing and extreme torture.

Also I never that that scene wasn't torture I forgot about that scene which is why I didn't list it with the others.

Telltale Plans To Complete Batman's First Season By End Of The Year - http://comicbook.com/2016/06/24/tell...end-of-the-ye/