Page 263 of 693 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313363 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 10395
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Naomi had a solo and people have no problem dressing as Cyborg. The character is not universally hated no matter how much you seem to want him to be.
    I am talking ONGOING not minis. SO Naomi is excluded since her book is in seasons.

FYI I don't hate Cyborg. But your first black lead movie in 18 years can not be a movie about a black guy missing body parts. Not after Miles Morales and Black Panther said hi to every one.

I never said he was universally hated but DC COMICS side especially since 2011 have crapped on him and every attempt to build him up.
    The cartoons and Doom Patrol put up an effort.

What is the comic side's issue? Where was all this stuff since it was Cyborg's time in 2011? That Miles Morales got in that same time frame. That Naomi and Moon Girl got in lesser time.

That was about HIM not him in crappy Justice League straight to dvd movies. Not that train wreck of a JL movie that still has his toys on shelves collecting dust with Wonder Woman forst movie toys.

Where is his world building? So IF the time comes to say lets do a Cyborg movie or show-there is material to attract interest. So you are not rushing to find stuff for a trade.

Not him getting hacked by anyone or getting ripped up by Black Panther ripoffs or busing Batman around.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I am talking ONGOING not minis. SO Naomi is excluded since her book is in seasons.
    That's still plenty of stuff to build on. Falcon is getting a tv show with Winter Soldier and he didn't have a solo until he was Captain America.

FYI I don't hate Cyborg. But your first black lead movie in 18 years can not be a movie about a black guy missing body parts. Not after Miles Morales and Black Panther said hi to every one.
    Says who? If this was really that big a deal, no one would even like Cyborg to begin with. It wasn't an issue when he was the only black guy on the main team of the Teen Titans cartoon and it isn't an issue when he's the only black guy on Doom Patrol. He's a cyborg, it comes with the territory. Whether or not his genitals are missing is frankly the least of his issues.

Also, Cyborg had a solo written by David Walker.

Not him getting hacked by anyone or getting ripped up by Black Panther ripoffs or busing Batman around.
    Funny, the guy who wrote that moment is black and I recall quite a number of posters on this board, including black ones, cheering it on.

I'm not going to pretend DC has always knocked it out of the park with Cyborg but if we held that against him, no black character is worth a damn. Black Panther fans aren't happy with his solo now but people still want him to be re-cast in the MCU.

DC doesn't do raceswaps as often as people claim. Not to the point of doing it over original poc characters at least.
    They do it enough now where I'm getting annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    You know, I’m black.
    And the only thing this casting news has done is make sure I’m not going to watch the show.
    Congratulations, you could have kept the info about your race hidden while still saying the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't mind race bending but I do think it's getting to the point where characters who were non-white to begin with are getting side lined. I don't mind a black Hawkman or an Arab Dr Fate but if you really want to go with a diverse Justice Society it's not like you are short on options either; Mr Terrific/Michael Holt, Judomaster/Sonia Sato, Jakeem Thunder, Hawkgirl/Kendra Saunders, Amazing Man/Will Everett, etc.
    Same, I don't mind racebending at all but DC is starting to use it as crutch instead of pushing characters of color they could later down the line give solos, minis, and maxis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    She is suppose to get her own show
    Her own movie, (not show) on hbomax.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    They do it enough now where I'm getting annoyed.

Congratulations, you could have kept the info about your race hidden while still saying the same thing.

Same, I don't mind racebending at all but DC is starting to use it as crutch instead of pushing characters of color they could later down the line give solos, minis, and maxis too.

Her own movie, (not show) on hbomax.
    DC just announced a Nubia title and she has a YA graphic novel.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    ^^^But then you wouldn’t have been able to give me that snarky response.

We’re talking about race swapping, and my race is involved.
    While I don’t speak for all black ppl, I’ve made the point before, and will continue to make it when discussing the subject in the future, that this blatant tactic of trying to draw in my demographic by turning white characters black is having the opposite effect in my case.

TBH i find it rather insulting.

This comment is contradictory. If they are race-bending characters and using minorities from the comics, then there isn't really a problem. The argument that race-bending is a block to using original minority characters is easily disproved, especially when it comes to DC.
    I think the problem is they could be using more of their minority characters from the comics instead of race-bending.

Why make Tim Drake black when Duke Thomas exists?

Or do it for somebody it makes sense for and wouldn't open a whole can of unfortunate implications. The magical pantheon in DC is pretty thin on non-white characters any way. I think you can race bend Phantom Stranger, Madame Xanadu (already done), Dr Fate (Khalid), Zatanna while also using characters like Dr Mist and Bloodwynd in your narrative but when you try to race bend John Constantine or Jason Blood then that opens up a whole lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think it would depend upon the execution. I think 2003 Teen Titans cartoon version of Cyborg is his best iteration. He did have some self loathing but that wasn't the entirety of his character. The focus was always on his humor and ingenuity. He wasn't there to get torn apart to show how powerful the threat of the week was and even when he was, it was usually a part of his story. The show also showed the sheer range of stories that could be done with the character which the comics barely scratch the surface of.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the problem is they could be using more of their minority characters from the comics instead of race-bending.

Why make Tim Drake black when Duke Thomas exists?
    That's the thing that makes me, as a white dude, know when I should check my opinions a bit. As a Tim Drake fan, I’m happy to have him regardless of any change to his race in an adaptation... but I’m very aware Duke fans can feel screwed if their guy doesn’t get to appear because of “minority limits.”

I mean, it’s a bit like if someone said to me “We need a minority for Batgirl!” and instead of announcing they were adapting Cassandra Cain...they announced they were casting an Asian American woman as Babs.

Ideally... you could have both a black Tim Drake and Duke in the same show, but we all know that’s a bit less likely...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

There are characters that are more likely to get adapted to live action than others. Tim Drake is one of them. Bruce having 3 white Robins back2back especially in "modern" times looks a bit ridiculous. Duke Thomas is newer, less popular, and the showrunner isnt interested in him.

Then you have characters like Naomi who Ava took an interest to. At the end of the day its really about who finds the characters more interesting and it will likely come down to the more popular characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    We’re talking about race swapping, and my race is involved.
    While I don’t speak for all black ppl, I’ve made the point before, and will continue to make it when discussing the subject in the future, that this blatant tactic of trying to draw in my demographic by turning white characters black is having the opposite effect in my case.

TBH i find it rather insulting.
    While I don't mind certain characters getting that treatment, their logic must be let's take any character who has even the slightest amount of recognition and raceswap them, rather than try to put in the work and adapt underserved original minority characters. Remember when they recently said properties like Static were "riskier" and could end up on HBO Max as opposed to getting a theatrical release. If they think that a minority character who was the first black DC hero to have his own cartoon can't have larger box office appeal, then their constant racebending is no surprise at all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-21-2021 at 03:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I often find raceswapping to be a rather lazy hollow attempt at representation. There are some instances though where the physical appearance of the characters simply doesn't matter. All John Constantine really needs to be is a foul-mouthed chain-smoking Englishman. Whether he looks like Matt Ryan or Riz Ahmed it shouldn't really matter to the character. I do understand some of the complaints because it feels like they always put cultural identity first and everything else about the character is distant second. But that's just how the entertainment industry seems to be operating now. Perhaps HBO Max also saw they already had another white male-lead DC show with Peacemaker and thought they needed something else.
    I agree that raceswapping is hollow and lazy, and it's part of the entertainment landscape. It just doesn't feel right for some characters. For example, when Titans cast asians for Beast Boy and Jericho, it worked out okay. But Constantine being anything but a blonde, pasty white guy just feels odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    While I don't mind certain characters getting that treatment, their logic must be let's take any character who has even the slightest amount of recognition and raceswap them, rather than try to put in the work and adapt underserved original minority characters. Remember when they recently said properties like Static were "riskier" and could end up on HBO Max as opposed to getting a theatrical release. If they think that a minority character who was the first black DC hero to have his own cartoon can't have larger box office appeal, then their constant racebending is no surprise at all.
    Wait, they said that about Static? Motherfu**ers...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's from this NYT article on Hamada but there is no direct quote from Hamada himself, so it could very well be supposition from the writer of the article himself:

The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.
    Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/b...es-movies.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They said the same about batgirl so?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's from this NYT article on Hamada but there is no direct quote from Hamada himself, so it could very well be supposition from the writer of the article himself:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/b...es-movies.html
    Ironically, the lower budget movies might turn out to be better. Spielberg famously once said that if he'd had more money to make Raiders, (about $20 million), he'd have made a much more pretentious movie. I don't think he was kidding.