Page 328 of 693 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332338378428 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 10395

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I still don't see why that matters - that's not a good argument to not do animation.
    That’s naive. These suits aren’t green lighting projects because they care about “art”, or entertaining people, they’re out to make profit. If action shows aren’t as profitable as comedy shows or video games, they won’t get made, simple as that. Action cartoons were literally made in the first place to sell toys after all.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    HBO Max was a huge blessing for DC fans! They’re going to be producing so much DC content and I can’t wait!
    It really was and is. I'm most looking forward to My Adventures with Superman myself, but Batman: Caped Crusader and Gotham PD are both close seconds.
    I'm currently kind of neutral on Peacemaker, TSS was great fun but outside of Harley the characters didn't wow me. Also neutral on Green Lantern Corps., Green Lantern as a franchise has just never managed to connect with me. I know the fandom here is huge, but I've just yet to come across that bit of content that can make me a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s naive. These suits aren’t green lighting projects because they care about “art”, or entertaining people, they’re out to make profit. If action shows aren’t as profitable as comedy shows or video games, they won’t get made, simple as that. Action cartoons were literally made in the first place to sell toys after all.
    It's not naive - videogames and animation aren't competitors. You're acting like it makes sense from a business standpoint to just leave a lot of money on the table because other projects are more profitable - that's the more naive expectation. It might not make as much money as videogames, but the answer to that isn't stop doing animation, it's to do animation and videogames because more products making profit gives more profit. Did I argue art? I will never argue "for art" here. And you and others go on and on about action cartoons needing to sell toys - but we're getting action cartoons incoming now with not a toyline in sight nor needed. It's a different world with a different model to make profit thanks to streaming. Action cartoons are coming back, and in fact when you look at Marvel at Disney XD on cable it never left! Guess Disney was glad to lose money on all those MCU-lite cartoons then?

I know it's for the preschool crowd, which is good because they need to make DC fans while their young like they did me with the DCAU, but I'm still curious and interested in watching this myself just cause Batman related cartoon. Wouldn't be the first preschool show I've watched.

It really was and is. I'm most looking forward to My Adventures with Superman myself, but Batman: Caped Crusader and Gotham PD are both close seconds.
    I'm currently kind of neutral on Peacemaker, TSS was great fun but outside of Harley the characters didn't wow me. Also neutral on Green Lantern Corps., Green Lantern as a franchise has just never managed to connect with me. I know the fandom here is huge, but I've just yet to come across that bit of content that can make me a fan.

It's not naive - videogames and animation aren't competitors. You're acting like it makes sense from a business standpoint to just leave a lot of money on the table because other projects are more profitable - that's the more naive expectation. It might not make as much money as videogames, but the answer to that isn't stop doing animation, it's to do animation and videogames because more products making profit gives more profit. Did I argue art? I will never argue "for art" here. And you and others go on and on about action cartoons needing to sell toys - but we're getting action cartoons incoming now with not a toyline in sight nor needed. It's a different world with a different model to make profit thanks to streaming. Action cartoons are coming back, and in fact when you look at Marvel at Disney XD on cable it never left! Guess Disney was glad to lose money on all those MCU-lite cartoons then?

I know it's for the preschool crowd, which is good because they need to make DC fans while their young like they did me with the DCAU, but I'm still curious and interested in watching this myself just cause Batman related cartoon. Wouldn't be the first preschool show I've watched.
    They are. So are video games and comics. Why do you think sales of comics have fallen off so hard? Why do you think ratings for TV shows aren’t what they were anymore? Executives have even said they’re not just competing with each other anymore for kids attention when it comes to animation, they’re competing with video games.
    Just as its counting of its subscribers morphs, so does Netflix’s view — at least for outward appearances — of the competition. In a quarterly letter to investors Thursday, executives played down increasing competition from well-heeled companies like The Walt Disney Co. DIS, 0.20% and Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -0.63% . Instead, it sees itself competing against every service that demands screen time, proclaiming that “We compete with (and lose to) ‘Fortnite’ more than HBO.”

“Our focus is not on Disney+, Amazon and others, but on how we can improve our experience for our members,” the letter reads.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...article_inline
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They are. So are video games and comics. Why do you think sales of comics have fallen off so hard? Why do you think ratings for TV shows aren’t what they were anymore? Executives have even said they’re not just competing with each other anymore for kids attention when it comes to animation, they’re competing with video games.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...article_inline
    Not what I meant - sure, everything's a competition for our attention, but you know that's not what I meant or how most people or businesses do it - if it were true, streaming shows and movies, live action or animated, would be canned. If they thought like you literally the only form of entertainment available would be videogames because nothing else is as profitable. But luckily, it's not viewed like that - most people realize that these things aren't competing financially with each other (certainly not much). They wouldn't make less money by doing action cartoons as well as videogames - on the contrary, they'd make more money. Having multiple sources of income is considered good. Because it is good. Animation doesn't eat into their videogame revenue, it compliments it, it's additional cash they're making. So no, videogames doesn't provide a good reason to not make action cartoons - as proven by the fact that multiple such action cartoons have existed while folks have been playing games, and more are incoming. Sure, DC action cartoons have had a rough patch of it on Cartoon Network, but Marvel on Disney XD, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Legend of Korra on Neckelodeon, all show that people are making profit on this type of animation.

Not sure I want all these shows to share continuity with their Batman movie, but it does show how confident they are in that film.

Surprised they do this before Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably just one person having an idea they liked and pitching it, plus possibly Farrell having the more open/flexible schedule over Kravits. It's not really sensible for shows to be held back purely on which character is more popular in books right now. If someone's got a good idea they got a good idea, better to take the good pitch when it comes.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

So....2 Batman spin offs for a movie that hasnt even come out yet but WW doesnt get her Amazon spin off or Aquaman with his The Trench spin off? Both films that proved themselves already?

I'm not. She's a woman so getting her own is slightly harder but I think they'd prefer a Catwoman movie if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    So....2 Batman spin offs for a movie that hasnt even come out yet but WW doesnt get her Amazon spin off or Aquaman with his The Trench spin off? Both films that proved themselves already?
    While you have a point on Wonder Woman not getting her spin-off, I can see why not on Aquaman. First, The Trench was a proposed film not a series, and series are safer - typically cheaper, can just churn it out on TV, and if it goes bad it is easier to ignore it and say it isn't in continuity than with a film. Second, The Trench isn't like Penguin or the Amazons - the link between it and Aquaman is much smaller as far as connections go (not his supporting cast, not a big enemy, not a long comic book history). Third, it'd have to be too much of a horror movie, which isn't ideal for a DC superhero spinoff. And finally, it'd cost too much seeing as how CGI those trench people monsters were. Greenlighting The Trench initially was a mistake. If you want to do an Aquaman spinoff Black Manta, Ocean Master, something along those lines is how you do it.

But yeah, Amazons should've happened.

I'm not. She's a woman so getting her own is slightly harder but I think they'd prefer a Catwoman movie if anything.
    Maybe the are planning a Catwoman movie? That'd be cool.

Well, Catwoman is getting an animated film...
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Isn't the Amazon spinoff still in development?

I'm really looking forward to that.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

While you have a point on Wonder Woman not getting her spin-off, I can see why not on Aquaman. First, The Trench was a proposed film not a series, and series are safer - typically cheaper, can just churn it out on TV, and if it goes bad it is easier to ignore it and say it isn't in continuity than with a film. Second, The Trench isn't like Penguin or the Amazons - the link between it and Aquaman is much smaller as far as connections go (not his supporting cast, not a big enemy, not a long comic book history). Third, it'd have to be too much of a horror movie, which isn't ideal for a DC superhero spinoff. And finally, it'd cost too much seeing as how CGI those trench people monsters were. Greenlighting The Trench initially was a mistake. If you want to do an Aquaman spinoff Black Manta, Ocean Master, something along those lines is how you do it.

But yeah, Amazons should've happened.

Aquaman got a billion dollars at the box office something that their reboot of Superman, Superman vs. Batman, and JL couldnt do. When a character like Aquaman does that you do a spin off movie if the director wants to. Wan knows how to make a horror movie on a budget so I doubt he'd be trying to get Anything above $50-$70million for the budget. And The Trench were actual costumes just enhanced by CGI

Isn't the Amazon spinoff still in development?
    It was something that Patty wanted to do inbetween WW3 but its never been greenlit. It likely isnt happening.

After how many movies though? lol. Even Vixen got a 30min animated series.

*sighs* This company will never learn. Like it's really hard to get excited for DC content. Meanwhile Disney is throwing Hawkeye and Miss Marvel at me.
    Last edited by atomicskull; 09-13-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    "Fresh air is the best therapy."