Page 351 of 693 FirstFirst ... 251301341347348349350351352353354355361401451 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,265 of 10395

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The show really is more about its take on the DC Universe as a whole rather than any one character (except maybe Miss Martian and Superboy), which is think confuses some people as it’s not a very common approach to storytelling
    Problem is that Weisman is clearly uninterested in the core team and would rather be doing a proper JL show, but everyone watching would rather focus on the OG team together. Really should just make a new JL cartoon set in this universe for Weisman and have him hand over the YJ team to someone else.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Problem is that Weisman is clearly uninterested in the core team and would rather be doing a proper JL show, but everyone watching would rather focus on the OG team together. Really should just make a new JL cartoon set in this universe for Weisman and have him hand over the YJ team to someone else.
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. He's clearly interested in the younger heroes of the DC Universe to the point that his eagerness to include as many of them as possible has made the Season 1 crew lose their roles as the focal characters unless they are singled out and limited to isolated arcs like the Marz one.

I'm not a fan of the structuring of S4 though. People aren't equally interested in every character on the show so it's shooting themselves in the foot viewer wise by separating them and focusing on each of them in such cut and dried arcs. Making the season an anthology of different arcs is inviting people to pick and choose only certain episodes to watch based on their favorite characters and to ignore the rest.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I don't think the show has quite figured out the sweet spot in terms of focus.

Either they shift the focus constantly and fans complain about all these different characters or they focus just on the OG!'s and stuff relevant to them while hoping fans care about their storylines.
    I think a S2 feel with the OGs being more present and introducing less characters would've been the way to go. They introduced all these characters in S2 and then ignored them come S3 for brand new characters who took over much more of the plot than the S2 characters did.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The show really is more about its take on the DC Universe as a whole rather than any one character (except maybe Miss Martian and Superboy), which is think confuses some people as it’s not a very common approach to storytelling
    True, they want YJ to be a sort of Skins of superheroes but once you introduce a team that is good and people like then its hard to move on. Especially with how tight the storyline in S1 was compared to 2&3. They either need to go full throttle and have each season clearly focus on a new team or have the OGs be the leads and have other characters support that.

There's also the fact that this is the first Weisman created show that has reached a Season 4 so it's all new territory for him as well. The last one that came closest (Gargoyles) started going off the rails in Season 3.

I get his hesitation in replicating the S2/S3 structure as S3 was weaker than S2 and the more characters you introduce to the show, the more unwieldy it becomes to manage them all. But this direction for S4 is not a good one either. The fact that I found the first arc to be weak may be influencing the way I perceive it as well (using alien races as a metaphor for racism/casteism has been done to death at this point; there's a reason the Inhumans keep flopping over at Marvel). The next arc with Tigress seems to be far more interesting fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There's also the fact that this is the first Weisman created show that has reached a Season 4 so it's all new territory for him as well. The last one that came closest (Gargoyles) started going off the rails in Season 3.

I get his hesitation in replicating the S2/S3 structure as S3 was weaker than S2 and the more characters you introduce to the show, the more unwieldy it becomes to manage them all. But this direction for S4 is not a good one either. The fact that I found the first arc to be weak may be influencing the way I perceive it as well (using alien races as a metaphor for racism/casteism has been done to death at this point; there's a reason the Inhumans keep flopping over at Marvel). The next arc with Tigress seems to be far more interesting fortunately.
    He had nothing to do with S3 of Gargoyles outside of the premiere so even S3 is new territory. But I think part of the issue is that they've stated that they have no end-game so the show will always end on some kind of cliffhanger. This is already the 3rd longest running DC animated series. 2nd if we go with having no rebrand (Batman became TNBA and JL became JLU)

They already said this season is focused on the OG team and we can clearly see by the opening. Each one of them will have some arc that will connect in some point.

Looks like they all will be dealing with the "ghosts from the past" in sort of way.
    SB and Mrs M in mars with her family.

Artemis will be dealing with her sister (here is the synopsis for the next two episodes: https://i.redd.it/ot1zeodqvew71.png)

I think Kaldur will be dealing with his father and Dick will face Jason, since he appeared last season. Zatanna storyline might have something to do with her Father as Doctor Fate.

I can't think of something for Rocket, she wasn't really prominent in the past seasons, the only thing i can think of is something with her child.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Would we want to watch a show about the JL doing their best but inevitably failing to permanently stop the villains?

Of course it would probably help to make the main adult heroes seem more useful than they usually are on the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think a S2 feel with the OGs being more present and introducing less characters would've been the way to go. They introduced all these characters in S2 and then ignored them come S3 for brand new characters who took over much more of the plot than the S2 characters did.
    Yeah, I would've rather continued to build off the season 2 characters with some additions rather than how spotty and all over the place season 3 could get until the Outsiders showed up.

Tim got hit with this the hardest. Or the Arrow/Bat family characters.

The show introduces all these characters, maybe gives them one or two moments, and that's it. And that's not even addressing the time-skips which lead to a lot of off-screen character development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Artemis will be dealing with her sister (here is the synopsis for the next two episodes: https://i.redd.it/ot1zeodqvew71.png).
    Sounds like we might also see Batgirl's last mission.

Would we want to watch a show about the JL doing their best but inevitably failing to permanently stop the villains?
    The whole “heroes wrecked our plans… JUST AS PLANNED” aspect of Weisman’s writing gets really grating after a while. Saps all tension because the heroes just continuously fail until Weisman arbitrarily decides they don’t.

Not having an endgame is idiotic, at the very least it’s well past the time to wrap up the Darkseid plot.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The whole “heroes wrecked our plans… JUST AS PLANNED” aspect of Weisman’s writing gets really grating after a while. Saps all tension because the heroes just continuously fail until Weisman arbitrarily decides they don’t.

Not having an endgame is idiotic, at the very least it’s well past the time to wrap up the Darkseid plot.
    On a writing level I can respect having the ability to continually come up with ideas to keep your series going but it's more often than not led to some unsatisfactory endings for Weisman productions.

Of course it would probably help to make the main adult heroes seem more useful than they usually are on the show.
    I would. YJ is able to save the day but they arent aware of the villains overall master plan which is a good balance imo. I can only imagine what great stroies Weisman would tell with Dinah on a personal level and Diana being able to be fleshed out is never a bad thing. They had her oppose Batman having young sidekicks but never really address the Cassie of it all and of course Donna is all but ignored even though they could integrate her into the story.

Extraordinary Member

Darkside and Vandal savage are immortal beings were playing a game that has no end for them

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I would. YJ is able to save the day but they arent aware of the villains overall master plan which is a good balance imo. I can only imagine what great stroies Weisman would tell with Dinah on a personal level and Diana being able to be fleshed out is never a bad thing. They had her oppose Batman having young sidekicks but never really address the Cassie of it all and of course Donna is all but ignored even though they could integrate her into the story.
    From a character perspective I could appreciate it but I think I'm at my limit for the heroes only making a dent in the villains' plans at this point or the villains going "we're still good" at the end of the day.

Although I guess if it was a show just focused on the League it would probably still have better focus than the latest YJ season even when they keep expanding said League. Although then it'd probably just be a more serialized version of JLU.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it's really become grating in YJ, but it wasn't nearly as bad in Gargoyles or Spec. Spider-Man. In the former, Xanatos, Demona and Thailog were all expert schemers but could screw themselves up due to blind spots (mainly Demona) or outmaneuver each other. Or in the case of Xanatos, be at a loss when faced with certain magical threats. And in the latter, considering Peter is a lone high school student, he does better against his villains than the YJ or JL combined do against the Light lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it's really become grating in YJ, but it wasn't nearly as bad in Gargoyles or Spec. Spider-Man. In the former, Xanatos, Demona and Thailog were all expert schemers but could screw themselves up due to blind spots (mainly Demona) or outmaneuver each other. Or in the case of Xanatos, be at a loss when faced with certain magical threats. And in the latter, considering Peter is a lone high school student, he does better against his villains than the YJ or JL combined do against the Light lol.
    Demona was the apex of "your own worst enemy" so every step forward for her was two steps back. Even when she won, she lost and yet she never felt dumb just...tragically pitiful. Which is what I like about her as a character, since she's one of my favorite cartoon villains.

But yeah, with Young Justice it's like the opposite for the heroes. Even when they win, they loose. It puts them in a position where it feels like they make no real progress on the hero front. Not to mention all the villains in DC seem to be in on this (for some reason). They should mix it up more IMO, then The Light "winning while loosing" stuff wouldn't feel so apparent.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-31-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I don't think he'd be any more interested in a Justice League show. He's definitely more of a world-builder and the characters come second to the setting. It's why he starts talking about spinoffs way too early and does stuff like the World Tour arc of Gargoyles.