Page 352 of 693 FirstFirst ... 252302342348349350351352353354355356362402452 ... LastLast
Results 5,266 to 5,280 of 10395

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I don't think he'd be any more interested in a Justice League show. He's definitely more of a world-builder and the characters come second to the setting. It's why he starts talking about spinoffs way too early and does stuff like the World Tour arc of Gargoyles.
    I think that was the opposite approach he took to Spider-Man.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think he'd be any more interested in a Justice League show. He's definitely more of a world-builder and the characters come second to the setting. It's why he starts talking about spinoffs way too early and does stuff like the World Tour arc of Gargoyles.
    I don't really think that applies to Gargoyles as far as characters go. Even in the world tour arc, they at least had Goliath, Eliza and Angela in every episode so there was a sense of stability and focus. I guess Connor and Megan may be the closest we have to that on YJ, but the ensemble case seems way more all over the place than gargs did

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't really think that applies to Gargoyles as far as characters go. Even in the world tour arc, they at least had Goliath, Eliza and Angela in every episode so there was a sense of stability and focus. I guess Connor and Megan may be the closest we have to that on YJ, but the ensemble case seems way more all over the place than gargs did
    They were there, sure, but they had very little in the way of focus or development in favor of introducing us to half a dozen characters that we would likely never have seen again even if the show had continued.

A partial list of characters that Young Justice treated as if they were going to become main characters who were then unceremoniously dropped the minute they stopped serving the worldbuilding (not including third season characters that haven't had any focus in season 4):

Captain Marvel, Rocket, Black Canary, Captain Atom (one of the first action figures produced for the show and somebody I recall getting a disproportionate amount of focus in the prerelease press than his glorified cameo on the actual show), Wonder Girl, Lagoon Boy, Tim Drake, the non-Static Superfriends, the anti-team/Fearsome Five, Dr Fate, Mal and Karen, Arsenal, Snapper Carr, Sportsmaster, half the Light at any given time, debatably Aqualad/man, and Blue Beetle

They were there, sure, but they had very little in the way of focus or development in favor of introducing us to half a dozen characters that we would likely never have seen again even if the show had continued.

A partial list of characters that Young Justice treated as if they were going to become main characters who were then unceremoniously dropped the minute they stopped serving the worldbuilding (not including third season characters that haven't had any focus in season 4):

Captain Marvel, Rocket, Black Canary, Captain Atom (one of the first action figures produced for the show and somebody I recall getting a disproportionate amount of focus in the prerelease press than his glorified cameo on the actual show), Wonder Girl, Lagoon Boy, Tim Drake, the non-Static Superfriends, the anti-team/Fearsome Five, Dr Fate, Mal and Karen, Arsenal, Snapper Carr, Sportsmaster, half the Light at any given time, debatably Aqualad/man, and Blue Beetle
    Still waiting for the rest of the Marvel Family to appear.

I'm kind of surprised how little Captain Atom did in season 2 other than chafing at being a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Still waiting for the rest of the Marvel Family to appear.

I'm kind of surprised how little Captain Atom did in season 2 other than chafing at being a leader.
    I still can't get over that they made Captain Atom in the first wave of action figures before, like, half of the main cast.

I still can't get over that they made Captain Atom in the first wave of action figures before, like, half of the main cast.
    That's hilarious .

Goliath and Angela had the development together of learning her parentage and him accepting the fact she was his daughter and should be treated as such (ditching the Gargoyle tradition of "they are all our kids and we have no special attachments"). Goliath and Eliza being together for so long also gave more weight to them accepting their feelings for each other by the end of the season.

A lot of the characters and locations they introduced were going to be in spin offs so while they contributed to the larger world building, I don't think they set up any expectation that many of these characters would have significant roles in the main narrative. Also the seemingly one shot characters in the myth/folk lore episodes all came back as cameos for the Gathering, with the Banshee being cited as a character who would have showed up again. But that just means they were side characters who would come in and out of the narrative as the plot required.

With YJ, all those characters you listed are introduced in ways that make them seem more important than the show actually treats them, and the time skips don't help. I also think the fact that it is an adaptation using pre-existing characters plays a part in this. With Gargoyles, it was all of Weisman's own creations. YJ brings in some big characters who are fan favorites, sometimes in ways that make people think they are hugely plot relevant, only to be dropped. Gargoyles may have always been an ensemble cast, but it was clear from the beginning that Goliath and Eliza were the main two, so the rest of the Clan taking a backseat during the world tour arc doesn't come of as...chaotic (for lack of a better term) with the way members of the Team just come and go.

I remember watching the first season and thinking 'this feels more like a DC Universe show than a Titans show'.

Shows like JL, Teen Titans, Avatar: TLAB, Legend of Korra, all started off with a small core group of characters and it was only after they were established that they started expanding the cast and including more characters but still making sure you knew who the MC's were.

I really enjoyed Weisman's Spectacular Spider-Man and it's still the high bar for Spider-Man shows and probably the best interpretation of the character outside of the comics. YJ was kind of a let down because while it's a good show, it's also very heavy on world building and a lot less fun than Spec. Spider-Man.

Maybe YJ would benefit if it was more of an anthology show like 'Brave and the Bold' or if it got some spin offs. Especially for Miss Martian, Aquaman and Green Arrow.

Weisman, like Morrison is overflowing with ideas and may need an editor to reign them in to keep them focused and like Johns, seems to want to put his mark on every single character in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not true they had the episode were Brooklyn steps up as second in command in Goliath’s absence
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I remember watching the first season and thinking 'this feels more like a DC Universe show than a Titans show'.
    Yeah, that was the approach WB and DC told Weisman and Vietti to take when first creating the series. Even the name Young Justice was only used because Teen Titans was taken.

I still find it funny that YJ started out as a Green Lantern covert ops show .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still find it funny that YJ started out as a Green Lantern covert ops show .
    Lmao did it really? Was too young to follow its prerelease, any more info on its conception?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Not true they had the episode were Brooklyn steps up as second in command in Goliath’s absence
    Yeah, but we had a long stretch of episodes, like a season and a half, that had the main cast all together even if Goliath and Eliza were the clear leads. So with the Manhattan clan being well established, I feel like the show had the foundation to branch off and send its leads onto the world tour and have temporary sporadic appearances with key development for the other main players (the Manhattan clan, Demona, Xanatos, Fox, Thailog, etc) before it settled down with the Gathering and things resumed to normal. It just seemed better paced than the time skips and cast changes in YJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao did it really? Was too young to follow its prerelease, any more info on its conception?
    It was supposed to star Charlie Vickers with appearances from the other Earth Lanterns at different points.