Page 358 of 695 FirstFirst ... 258308348354355356357358359360361362368408458 ... LastLast
Results 5,356 to 5,370 of 10422

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm tempted to think they were always planning to cast a black actress for Starfire because of the redhead thing but maybe it was still an open casting.

Here comes Green Lantern with lens flare .
    “Somehow Sinestro returned”
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

I actually wanted John boyega to be Etrigan/Jason blood

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I actually wanted John boyega to be Etrigan/Jason blood
    I like Boyega, but I don't know if I see him as Jason Blood.

Extraordinary Member

I like Boyega, but I don't know if I see him as Jason Blood.
    give him a chance to flex his muscle a serious brit/ angry funny demon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yeah I was hesitant to post that comment because I was worried it could open up that can of worms, when to me I just wanted to point out that sometimes those business practices do seem to come from the top and if this casting call is accurate, this seems to be an example of that. I'm actually surprised since some of the previous articles claimed they were looking for an actor like Riz Ahmed for the role.
    Exactly, I think it's definitely coming from the top. So it looks like Riz Ahmed can't apply for the role even if he wanted to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    People said the same about Starfire on Titans and the new Batwoman but now nobody cares.

Also, we've already had a POC Constantine before in Keanu.
    Well terrible move may be a poor choice of words, since the GA don't hardly look at these kind of details, only fans like us.

Were all of those open castings? And of course there's going to be naysayers, regardless. But it being limited to specific castings makes it harder to defend said company when you're trying to argue them being chosen for their talent over skin color.

Ultimate Member

I'm tempted to think they were always planning to cast a black actress for Starfire because of the redhead thing but maybe it was still an open casting.

Here comes Green Lantern with lens flare .
    You buy into that oppressed redhead bs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    give him a chance to flex his muscle a serious brit/ angry funny demon
    I've seen him as a serious Brit but I think he has too much youthful energy for Jason Blood. Although I guess we have to assume he'd play Etrigan too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    You buy into that oppressed redhead bs?
    Oppressed? No. Just a certain noticeable trend for casting redheaded characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Casting call for the JLD: Constantine series:

It's an odd choice in general, but it's even odder that they're limiting it to "black" specifically when England's Asian population is far larger.

Niffleheim

Wasn’t the Constantine race-bending casting already known? I thought I read somewhere that there will be different Constantine in different DC productions.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-16-2021 at 03:51 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's an odd choice in general, but it's even odder that they're limiting it to "black" specifically when England's Asian population is far larger.
    Well, that thought did cross my mind and umm... do they think a black man would be more believable as a drunk bum than a South Asian/Asian man? In which case, another scenario of Hollywood being racist while trying to look progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Wasn’t the Constantine race-bending casting already known? I thought I read somewhere that there will be different Constantine in different DC productions.
    It did, that was the first time I realized that not everybody thought that white privilege was inherent to Constantine's character

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I thought they already cast Constantine? Or was I just imagining a fan casting?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, that thought did cross my mind and umm... do they think a black man would be more believable as a drunk bum than a South Asian/Asian man? In which case, another scenario of Hollywood being racist while trying to look progressive.
    I dont think its so much them thinking that a black man is more believable as a drunk bum as I think they see making Constantine black as more progressive than making him Asian.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 11-16-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I thought they already cast Constantine? Or was I just imagining a fan casting?
    Matt Ryan played him on the NBC and on the CW. Also voices him in the animated movies. But nothing for Abrams take, just rumors they were mandating he not be white, which with Abrams means he would be black.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont think its so much them thinking that a black man is more believable as a drunk bum as I think they see making Constantine black as more progressive than making him Asian.
    If they do think that racebending a white character one way over another is more progressive, isn't that a bit racist in and of itself. I think if they just let it be an open casting audition, even if they still preferred to cast a black actor, they would spare themselves from the bad optics where it appears they are being purposely exclusionary to anyone other than black actors for a role that isn't meant to be solely for black actors. The optics are not good here at all.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If they do think that racebending a white character one way over another is more progressive, isn't that a bit racist in and of itself.
    No not really. White characters are still the majority by a very large margin, majority of white characters are white because of the time they were created in and due to racism in general. Trying to create diversity by racebending isnt anymore "racist" as genderbending a male character to a female character is "sexist". Imo at least.