Page 360 of 693 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370410460 ... LastLast
Results 5,386 to 5,400 of 10395
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't think the world has progressed to a point where asking for just black actors for a specific role could be discriminatory. Out of possibly hundreds of black actors auditioning for the role, they're still going to choose the one who best fit the take they're going for with Constantine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the production team thinks the character is fair game for being played by a non white actor because Keanu Reeves played and that the character is basically 'Dr Strange in a trenchcoat with some horror flourishes.
    For me this racebending of Constantine after casting Keanu and Matt seems to be ruthlessly a business calculation than being progressive.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Deciding to take a white character and wanting to make them into a specific ethnicity isnt disregarding all other talents. If they decided they wanted an Asian actor for Constantine, no one would be thinking "this is so unfair to black actors!" especially when we dont know how the cast is going to round out. We dont know even know if they want to tell a specific story that they feel they can only tell with the character being Black. Open castings are always great (Little Mermaid, Supergirl) and hopefully the way of the future but saying that when you racebend a white character they have to be open to everyone and you cant decide to be to just cast a black, Asian, Latino, etc..actor seems a little laughable.

We're still dealing with an industry that still attempts to whitewash characters of color (Crazy Rich Asians, Doctor Strange), thats the problem.
    I guess the question is why they were so specific about a black actor. I guess if they want John to be the lead of their "Dark Universe" on HBOMax (sorry Zatanna), they want him to be a POC.

Guess I’m passing on all the JLD stuff. I’m so over these needless raceswaps! How about use an original diverse character for once!!! Black Constantine just means Dr Mist or a revamped Bloodwynd won’t get a shot. Marvel continues to smoke DC in regards to POC

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Guess I’m passing on all the JLD stuff. I’m so over these needless raceswaps! How about use an original diverse character for once!!! Black Constantine just means Dr Mist or a revamped Bloodwynd won’t get a shot. Marvel continues to smoke DC in regards to POC
    We're Dr Mist or Bloodwynd ever being adapted anyeay

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

How does making Constantine black mean Dr Mist wont appear? Marvel has racebent/genderbent characters as well.

How does making Constantine black mean Dr Mist wont appear? Marvel has racebent/genderbent characters as well.
    Well, seems more likely you race-bend a more significant character than you use a more obscure one.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, seems more likely you race-bend a more significant character than you use a more obscure one.
    Can't there be both? Or is this just all another for people to complain about race bending while claiming to be progressive

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Can't there be both? Or is this just all another for people to complain about race bending while claiming to be progressive
    Would there be a need for both if they were prominently using established characters of color alongside established white characters instead of race-bending?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Would there be a need for both if they were prominently using established characters of color alongside established white characters instead of race-bending?
    Mist isnt the main character though. They arent racebending Constantine just because. He's the central character, will be one of the leads of JLD. Black characters have other black characters around them....It wont be (if they are serious about this) wont be Constantine and a magical world of white people.

Ultimate Member

Possibly, considering comics heroes are overwhelmingly White. 1 or 2 Black guys among 5 or 6 White ones isn't progressive in the modern sense

That's basically just for presentation and ambience .
    Oh, right. I forgot the other 10% is being an absolute wanker.

Niffleheim

Marvel’s race and gender bending of characters is more or less about checking a box to diversify a movie by race or gender bending the supporting characters than than lead characters. It can be ignored because they are just supporting characters.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Mist isnt the main character though. They arent racebending Constantine just because. He's the central character, will be one of the leads of JLD. Black characters have other black characters around them....It wont be (if they are serious about this) wont be Constantine and a magical world of white people.
    I mean, I kind of figured they were doing it because they wanted to make one of the central characters diverse which is usually the reason they race-bend major characters although I don't think Constantine being white would make it a "magical world of white people" but I guess we'll see how they cast everybody else.
    Possibly, considering comics heroes are overwhelmingly White. 1 or 2 Black guys among 5 or 6 White ones isn't progressive in the modern sense
    Why assume that would be the case though?

We're Dr Mist or Bloodwynd ever being adapted anyeay
    That’s my point! DC would rather adapt a White character and change their race in live action (no where else btw) over adapting and pushing an original diverse character! It’s damn miracle Static and Blue Beetle have projects in the works!

I’m so over the regressive raceswaps! Give me the REAL diverse characters! Not these White characters in Black/Brown/Asian face!

That’s my point! DC would rather adapt a White character and change their race in live action (no where else btw) over adapting and pushing an original diverse character! It’s damn miracle Static and Blue Beetle have projects in the works!

I’m so over the regressive raceswaps! Give me the REAL diverse characters! Not these White characters in Black/Brown/Asian face!
    DC uses original minority characters all the time. They just get ignored when people want to complain about raceswaps. A black Deadshot didn't stop Bloodsport and a black Constantine doesn't mean Bloodwynd or Dr. Mist won't appear.

I won't even get into the issues with comparing this to black or brown face and why that comparison doesn't work.