Page 361 of 693 FirstFirst ... 261311351357358359360361362363364365371411461 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,415 of 10395
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    That’s my point! DC would rather adapt a White character and change their race in live action (no where else btw) over adapting and pushing an original diverse character! It’s damn miracle Static and Blue Beetle have projects in the works!

I’m so over the regressive raceswaps! Give me the REAL diverse characters! Not these White characters in Black/Brown/Asian face!
    DC/WB have always been about their popular characters. They dont take chances 99% of the time just like how Wally/Kyle were sidelined for Barry/Hal.

Let's not forget that Blue Beetle was originally white before being dumped for a newer more diverse character who luckily took off.

But lets not try to get into black/yellow face....its not a good look and nowhere near correct.

Honestly with the mindset of "Let's change popular characters instead of putting in the work to build the universe first", can you imagine what the MCU would've been like had it started today. You won't see Sam Wilson's journey into becoming the new Captain America, since Anthony Mackie would've been cast as Steve Rogers instead. You'd either have Jane Thor or the Odinson would've been female, and I don't want to think about what they would do to Stark. I don't think anyone here seems to have a problem with the concept of having better diversity, people are questioning the way Hollywood usually chooses to go about it nowadays. If we're using the "They're not the biggest characters so there's no point to use them" logic, then a character like say Harley Quinn would've never gotten as big as she did. Those executives would've just chosen to make The Joker a woman instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Honestly with the mindset of "Let's change popular characters instead of putting in the work to build the universe first", can you imagine what the MCU would've been like had it started today. You won't see Sam Wilson's journey into becoming the new Captain America, since Anthony Mackie would've been cast as Steve Rogers instead. You'd either have Jane Thor or the Odinson would've been female, and I don't want to think about what they would do to Stark. I don't think anyone here seems to have a problem with the concept of having better diversity, people are questioning the way Hollywood usually chooses to go about it nowadays. If we're using the "They're not the biggest characters so there's no point to use them" logic, then a character like say Harley Quinn would've never gotten as big as she did. Those executives would've just chosen to make The Joker a woman instead.
    I think everyone would agree with that but that's why Marvel will always beat DC in the movie market. But also race/genderbending some characters isnt as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. Having a black Constantine doesn't rob us of Dr.Mist who would be a supporting character regardless.

DC/WB dont know how to do long term planning where you can pass the mantle. We'd never get to Sam as Captain America under WB thumb because they'd just continue to reboot Captain America no matter his race.

We're already on a new Batman. How has the millions of white Batmen helped the Bat family? They are still largely ignored in the movies.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 11-17-2021 at 08:12 AM.

My opinion is that some characters can be racebent without any problems (Starfire or Iris West for example), but for some it seems weird to me, as if some part of their characterization was missing. For me Constantine falls into the second category, because his look is kind of a part of his character. I would have preferred if they kept Matt Ryan, he would be great with darker storylines.
    I am still going to watch it of course and chances are that the new actor will be great in the role, I just don't quite see the reasoning behind it.
    Plus, if they wanted a black main character, they could focus on
    spoilers:
    John's son from the Spurrier run
    end of spoilers
    and keep John as supporting character. Just my 2 cents.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Sam Wilsons journey began and started in his 6 episode mini on Disney plus, before that he was supporting character whos motivations was no more then I would do anything for steve rogers, we didn't know anything about him personally and i honestly never had strong feelngs for him like I did for bucky who was focused on throughout the films. When the phase 3 ended and the shield was passed on to him, I felt right about it because I could see after the life he had it would not a good idea to burden bucky further.

However the transition has not been seamless, even in a show where he was the lead, sam would often be the least trending character each week. Bucky at the top with Zemo and sharon all above him

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

DC raceswaps because, except for the Trinity, the average person doesn't really care about who is in the costume. Just the way it is.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think everyone would agree with that but that's why Marvel will always beat DC in the movie market. But also race/genderbending some characters isnt as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. Having a black Constantine doesn't rob us of Dr.Mist who would be a supporting character regardless.

DC/WB dont know how to do long term planning where you can pass the mantle. We'd never get to Sam as Captain America under WB thumb because they'd just continue to reboot Captain America no matter his race.

We're already on a new Batman. How has the millions of white Batmen helped the Bat family? They are still largely ignored in the movies.
    But is it genuine and meaningful diversity? Especially when it's just probably going to be for this one probably while Constantine will probably be white in everything else.

DC/WB don't really do a long-running continuity like the MCU to where you could build up a mantle change.

It's not Batman's whiteness that really matters as far as the family are concerned but that they always start him off from square one, that and the Schumacher films made Robin and Batgirl harder to integrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So is Ace not owned by Batman here? They make it sound like he's been on the street all this time.

Is Chip supposed to become Green Lantern Ch'p?

Extraordinary Member

Dc is setting the cadence that a lot of their characters can be different ethnicities in different mediums which is perfect. Iris can be white in comics, black on the tv show and it allows everyone to win. Shifting the character for every entity doesn't mean that its anymore "meaningful"

There are those that say "by turning Constantine black, we wont get Dr Mist" but DC has shown that it doesn't matter. Batman isnt messed with and we still dont get Robin, Batgirl, etc in his films. The Schumacher films can't be used as an excuse because Batman continues to get adapted to new films. Bane was in those films, Joker was in those films and they are in newer films.

Hollywood is trying to fix a long running problem with diversity and its not to be genuine 90% of the time but because their feet is held to the fire and you have to start somewhere until it becomes the norm. CBS didn't mandate a 50% POC rule in their reality shows because they deeply care. They know it looks good on them and gets brownie points.

Speaking of, Gotham is like the only live-action Bane that was actually racially accurate...not that it made him a good Bane, but still.

Extraordinary Member

Dc is setting the cadence that a lot of their characters can be different ethnicities in different mediums which is perfect. Iris can be white in comics, black on the tv show and it allows everyone to win. Shifting the character for every entity doesn't mean that its anymore "meaningful"

There are those that say "by turning Constantine black, we wont get Dr Mist" but DC has shown that it doesn't matter. Batman isnt messed with and we still dont get Robin, Batgirl, etc in his films. The Schumacher films can't be used as an excuse because Batman continues to get adapted to new films. Bane was in those films, Joker was in those films and they are in newer films.

Hollywood is trying to fix a long running problem with diversity and its not to be genuine 90% of the time but because their feet is held to the fire and you have to start somewhere until it becomes the norm. CBS didn't mandate a 50% POC rule in their reality shows because they deeply care. They know it looks good on them and gets brownie points.
    we dont get robin becasue they arnt sure how to do superhero kid yet

once Marvel does young avengers DC will suddenly want to do Teen titans

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    we dont get robin becasue they arnt sure how to do superhero kid yet

once Marvel does young avengers DC will suddenly want to do Teen titans
    They already have the Titans show I guess but it'll probably be low profile compared to Young Avengers. The big difference is how the Marvel Universe has been established so far allowing these characters to be introduced and then spin-off into their own team-ups. A lot of the important Titans (especially Robin) have a deep history but since Robin hasn't been adapted, it's hard to do that. While the MCU introduces Cassie Lang, Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan separately, etc... any Titan property has to introduce all characters in the initial Titans movie/show. Basically the difference between the build up to the first Avengers movie and Justice League film

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Speaking of, Gotham is like the only live-action Bane that was actually racially accurate...not that it made him a good Bane, but still.
    Havent they all been played by white actors?

Havent they all been played by white actors?
    That's why Gotham stood out the most.