Page 392 of 693 FirstFirst ... 292342382388389390391392393394395396402442492 ... LastLast
Results 5,866 to 5,880 of 10395
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know who I feel like this arc screwed up the most, Zatanna or Mary.

Bad enough Zatanna felt like she was in the background so much for her "supposed" arc and wasn't even that directly involved in the conclusion (bad luck magic? Seriously?) but the one new thing we learn about her in this arc is that...maybe she's not that great a person and has been using some kids to get her father back? Like, jeez, show.

I also think the writers really don't get Mary as a character and this episode put that front-and-center. I mean, to begin with if they're even drawing from Countdown/Final Crisis, that's not a good sign to begin with and nothing in this episode really indicated they get her character enough for me to give them leeway with using that story beat.

Also, Vandal Savage feels so pretentious.

I gotta say this was also probably the worst use of slideshows for stuff happening in real time, and with characters just talking, but we couldn't even animate that?

As far as the BB stuff...well, I feel bad for Perdita, but maybe we could have cut some of the other stuff they showed and just had Perdita mention it so we could spend more time on other stuff? Just a thought.

Also I feel bad for Etrigan and Blue Devil and anyone else who expected them contribute more to this arc.
    My worst fear was no sentinels of magic, just her kids

So many Magic heroes to make brief cameos. Also Zatanna is still gonna pay for this. Zatarra will die before the season ends and Khalid, who she has known since childhood, will take the mantle permanently when the helmet is reforged and cannot come off. The writers wlll not give her a happy ending for doing this.

Now I realize why the show's version of Mary feels so off.

They're depicting a version of Mary where Countdown/Final Crisis Mary actually makes sense compared to the comics where it absolutely didn't. So she's aggressive, confrontational, negative, addicted to magic, her hero form is depicted in a bad way, all to justify turning her into an evil version of herself.

Extraordinary Member

They're depicting a version of Mary where Countdown/Final Crisis Mary actually makes sense compared to the comics where it absolutely didn't. So she's aggressive, confrontational, negative, addicted to magic, her hero form is depicted in a bad way, all to justify turning her into an evil version of herself.
    their gonna do an addict arc

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    their gonna do an addict arc
    Yeah, terrible depiction of the character, but they had to make it make sense in-universe .

Extraordinary Member

Oh and i cant wait for the girls to start fighting. Zatanna tells megan about connor, and she wants to bring him back no matter the cost. Zatanna tells her no, and megan reads her mind and tell her she did whatever it took to get her father back. Artemis gets in the middle and megan reveals that zatanna lied about the ghost of wally. Raquel Stands back the only innocent party member and spends her arc getting these girls back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Oh and i cant wait for the girls to start fighting. Zatanna tells megan about connor, and she wants to bring him back no matter the cost. Zatanna tells her no, and megan reads her mind and tell her she did whatever it took to get her father back. Artemis gets in the middle and megan reveals that zatanna lied about the ghost of wally. Raquel Stands back the only innocent party member and spends her arc getting these girls back together.
    Now that you mention it, this could very well lead to them revealing that they basically "faked" the whole thing with Wally.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I know im repeating myself lol but i like the general storyline, it just doesn't hold the same weight since we haven't seen her as a hero. If they put her in s2 and actually focused on those characters it'd be a great storyline to do imo

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I know im repeating myself lol but i like the general storyline, it just doesn't hold the same weight since we haven't seen her as a hero. If they put her in s2 and actually focused on those characters it'd be a great storyline to do imo
    I just don't get taking the characters' most controversial/least liked storyline and then basing your characterization off that storyline to make it make more sense.

It just doesn't feel like Mary at all at this point.

What exactly did Zatanna do that's so bad? She never pushed anybody into it or anything like that. The show even established that she had no intention of doing it when she started training them and only decided on it in the first episode of this arc, which the Lords of Chaos decided to capitalize on. Nothing she did here was dark or manipulative

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    What exactly did Zatanna do that's so bad? She never pushed anybody into it or anything like that. The show even established that she had no intention of doing it when she started training them and only decided on it in the first episode of this arc, which the Lords of Chaos decided to capitalize on. Nothing she did here was dark or manipulative
    She didn't push them into it but I think she definitely put them into a position where it seemed more likely they'd do it than refuse. Basically the "illusion of choice."

And that she just casually thought it up then and alluded to Khalid becoming a doctor, the kind of doctor she needed him to be, just seemed really shadey. She wasn't just showing them off to Fate to get them to help fight Child but so she could sell them as Fate hosts.

The fact that she didn't answer Khalid when he asked how long she'd been planning this as a means of getting her father back (and he seemed to realize what was expected of them more than Traci did) shows that on some level she realizes what she was doing wasn't necessarily heroic.

She didn't push them into it but I think she definitely put them into a position where it seemed more likely they'd do it than refuse. Basically the "illusion of choice."

And that she just casually thought it up then and alluded to Khalid becoming a doctor, the kind of doctor she needed him to be, just seemed really shadey. She wasn't just showing them off to Fate to get them to help fight Child but so she could sell them as Fate hosts.

The fact that she didn't answer Khalid when he asked how long she'd been planning this as a means of getting her father back (and he seemed to realize what was expected of them more than Traci did) shows that on some level she realizes what she was doing wasn't necessarily heroic.
    Yeah, but then immediately afterwards the show tells us exactly when she got the idea and it was from their perspective less than 24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Yeah, but then immediately afterwards the show tells us exactly when she got the idea and it was from their perspective less than 24 hours
    Honestly I don't know if that makes it so much better. Like, after all this time with them you'd think she'd quickly dismiss it but she just casually thinks it up and then puts her plan into action.

I just don't get taking the characters' most controversial/least liked storyline and then basing your characterization off that storyline to make it make more sense.

It just doesn't feel like Mary at all at this point.
    I don't think Mary becoming corrupted with power and basically becoming evil Willow is a bad concept. DC may have failed done it poorly and more for cheesecake value but others can certainly do it justice. The Marvels are usually these cheesy brady bunch kids which don't translate to current times. The power should have some type of impact on them and granny taking advantage of that loneliness Mary is currently feeling is a good gate opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I don't think Mary becoming corrupted with power and basically becoming evil Willow is a bad concept. DC may have failed done it poorly and more for cheesecake value but others can certainly do it justice. The Marvels are usually these cheesy brady bunch kids which don't translate to current times. The power should have some type of impact on them and granny taking advantage of that loneliness Mary is currently feeling is a good gate opening.
    For the kind of character she is it feels like a bad concept that flies in the face of what she stands for. Like literally ever time DC turns Supergirl evil. The cheesecake wasn't the worst part of it (although I will find it hilarious if she becomes a Fury and starts wearing a dress).

I don't see how it can't translate that well to current times. Like, before the movie we saw takes on Billy that were more classic (even in YJ) and they worked. It's not about being the Brady Bunch but more being wholesome and fun and that I think audiences can still relate too.

It makes sense in the context of the show's story but it really doesn't feel like Mary at all.

For the kind of character she is it feels like a bad concept that flies in the face of what she stands for. Like literally ever time DC turns Supergirl evil. The cheesecake wasn't the worst part of it (although I will find it hilarious if she becomes a Fury and starts wearing a dress).

I don't see how it can't translate that well to current times. Like, before the movie we saw takes on Billy that were more classic (even in YJ) and they worked. It's not about being the Brady Bunch but more being wholesome and fun and that I think audiences can still relate too.

It makes sense in the context of the show's story but it really doesn't feel like Mary at all.
    Therein lies the problem. We never got Mary at the beginning of her journey or at all. We skipped all that just to go to the characters darkest time. We haven't seen Capt.Marvel this season so who knows what changes he's gone through or what they've faced to lead them to YJ S4