Page 401 of 695 FirstFirst ... 301351391397398399400401402403404405411451501 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 10424

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like people give the shows a bad rap. I'm not saying the shows don't have their issues or their own cliche's, but they've achieved a lot of stuff no one would have expected from TV comic book adaptions of the time.
    True but for most people who aren't comic book readers, I'm not shocked they'd find it really goofy if they watched clips of it on YouTube or twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They are fast food tv. Easy to watch, tastes good in the moment but not necessarily the best thing you should be eating. It's a good way to get your foot in the door either as a writer or actor.
    I feel that's true in some respects, any more than it's true for a lot of Superhero fiction, but these shows have also tackled some heavy/emotional stuff and helped keep a lot of characters, including ones DC barely uses, visible to audiences and increased their awareness of said characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The writing of these shows are barely above fan fiction level. It temporarily satiates people's craving for more superheroes on screen but it's certainly not the best version of these character and most are not even close to being the best adaptation of a DC character.
    I think that's on a case-by-case basis.

I mean, Grant Gustin's Barry is, in my opinion, far better than DCEU Flash. And a lot of actors/performers have killed it with their performances and interpretations of their characters on these shows. Tyler Hoechlin's Superman has become really embraced, especially in contrast to Cavill.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    True but for most people who aren't comic book readers, I'm not shocked they'd find it really goofy if they watched clips of it on YouTube or twitter
    I don't think that's much different for most Superhero content outside the "prestiege" cred people give the MCU.

Astonishing Member

I feel like people give the shows a bad rap. I'm not saying the shows don't have their issues or their own cliche's, but they've achieved a lot of stuff no one would have expected from TV comic book adaptions of the time.
    That may have been true in its heyday but the Arrow-verse barring a few exceptions is just overall very not good anymore, imo.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-07-2022 at 03:51 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I don't think that's much different for most Superhero content outside the "prestiege" cred people give the MCU.
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever refer to the MCU as prestige lol. The meme with CW shows was always how cheap and corny they looked. I never saw that criticism really aimed at other superhero media. Do you have any examples of non-CW superhero stuff that got hit with that? The MCU, Fox, DC movies didn't from what I've seen. Other stuff has gotten memed like Raimi's Spider-Man, a lot of the MCU, BvS, Joker, etc... but not for the same reason the CW did (being cheap and lame)
    Last edited by The Kid; 01-07-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The Flash started out really great but now everything is solved wigh a speech and the power of love. That's just low tier imo.

Arrow went through 4 Canaries, 4 Dinahs. That's just bad writing.

Supergirls entire last season....nuff said.

Marvel is pumping out the quality content right now and for the past 10 years. It doesn't need to be emmy award winning writing (though shows that get awards aren't necessarily always top tier) but they are far beyond what CW shows are able to offer sans some here and there. S&L, Stargirl are far above the main Arrowverse shows right now.

Astonishing Member

Marvel is pumping out the quality content right now and for the past 10 years. It doesn't need to be emmy award winning writing (though shows that get awards aren't necessarily always top tier) but they are far beyond what CW shows are able to offer sans some here and there. S&L, Stargirl are far above the main Arrowverse shows right now.
    I think Stargirl and S&L should move over to being HBO Max exclusives and get better budgets.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    That may have been true in its heyday but the Arrow-verse barring a few exceptions is just overall very not good anymore, imo.
    They have their seasonal slumps but that doesn't mean nothing good has come out of them.
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever refer to the MCU as prestige lol. The meme with CW shows was always how cheap and corny they looked. I never saw that criticism really aimed at other superhero media. Do you have any examples of non-CW superhero stuff that got hit with that? The MCU, Fox, DC movies didn't from what I've seen. Other stuff has gotten memed like Raimi's Spider-Man, a lot of the MCU, BvS, Joker, etc... but not for the same reason the CW did (being cheap and lame)
    I didn't say they were prestige so much as people sometimes view anything MCU related as automatically good.

I feel like the "cheap and lame" complaint is kind of arbitrary and something we do see for stuff like the (bad) Fox films, BvS, Leto's Joker, etc.
    The Flash started out really great but now everything is solved wigh a speech and the power of love. That's just low tier imo.
    Armageddon seemed to start the current season off strong.
    I'm not saying the shows haven't screwed up, especially when it comes to certain character, but it doesn't necesarilly represent the totality of said shows.
    Supergirls entire last season....nuff said.
    I won't disagree the final season had issues, let alone the ending, but I think the show overall still achieved a lot.
    I enjoy the MCU but I also have my issues with the Disney+ shows, which do have their own writing issues, so I don't really view it as automatically better even when they have better budget or star power.

I do think we need more shows on the SM&L and Stargirl level but I'm also glad they're not having to tie-in to a movie continuity like Marvel constantly does.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think Stargirl and S&L should move over to being HBO Max exclusives and get better budgets.
    This is exactly what I'm afraid they're going to do.
    Assassinate Putin!

They have their seasonal slumps but that doesn't mean nothing good has come out of them.

I didn't say they were prestige so much as people sometimes view anything MCU related as automatically good.

I feel like the "cheap and lame" complaint is kind of arbitrary and something we do see for stuff like the (bad) Fox films, BvS, Leto's Joker, etc.
    The bad superhero films do get memed when people think something is lame, that's just normal. The CW's memes were just specifically about how low budget it looked and the melodramatic the writing is. You gotta admit that it's very apparent with the CW. They def come off as a throwback to old school genre fair which to be fair has an appeal but is not going to get the same love from the general public

Astonishing Member

They have their seasonal slumps but that doesn't mean nothing good has come out of them..
    You’re a lot more forgiving than I am as I see almost no redeeming values in Flash and Supergirl(especially that last season from what I’ve seen so far, yikes) Actors are fine, the writing has been abysmal. If you still see merit in those shows, great but I’m just not seeing a lot of what they’ve achieved. To me, nowadays they’ve achieved very little.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-07-2022 at 10:09 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is exactly what I'm afraid they're going to do.
    Legit curious: What’s wrong with that?

- Charles Schultz.

If the Arrow-verse does end, I’ll miss unabashed wacky nonsense like this:

"Time to make America Grodd again."

I wish I were ignorant of US of A's politics, that way I wouldn't understand how terrible this is, and it wouldn't hurt so much.

Josstice League was mocked for bad CGI on Cavill's face, and for Steppenwolf for looking like shit, but not much else besides those.

What, so 4 characters were Black Cannary, and 4 others were Dinahs? Lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-07-2022 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

What, so 4 characters were Black Cannary, and 4 others were Dinahs? Lol.
    The way worked:

We had Dinah Lance - mom

Dinah Laurel Lance - daughter

Dinah Drake - cop

Dinah Laurel Lance - E2 doppelganger

For Canaries:
    Sara Lance, younger sister to DLL becomes The Canary.

She dies so DLL becomes Black Canary to honor her.

DLL dies so Dinah Drake comes in who is a meta human w/Canary Cry. They give her the Black Canary mantle.

e2 DLL is Black Siren who later becomes Black Canary to honor DLL and we have 2 Black Canarys at the same time on the same team.

Oh but Sara is brought back to life but decides to become White Canary.

So 2-3 active Canarys between s3-S7

The way worked:

We had Dinah Lance - mom

Dinah Drake - cop

For Canaries:

DLL dies so Dinah Drake comes in who is a meta human w/Canary Cry. They give her the Black Canary mantle.

e2 DLL is Black Siren who later becomes Black Canary to honor DLL and we have 2 Black Canarys at the same time on the same team.

So they decided to pick the nonsense of Dinah and her mother being Black Canaries, and make it as convoluted as possible, I'm surprised there's only one clone, but maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Honestly the most annoying thing here is 4 people with the same first name, do they at least have nicknames to make it less annoying to set them apart? Y'know, like the Allen/West family and the amount of people with the same name, but nicknames setting them apart lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The bad superhero films do get memed when people think something is lame, that's just normal. The CW's memes were just specifically about how low budget it looked and the melodramatic the writing is. You gotta admit that it's very apparent with the CW. They def come off as a throwback to old school genre fair which to be fair has an appeal but is not going to get the same love from the general public
    I think it depends on the specific instance. Obviously they don't have film-level budgets, but in certain respects I think they've delivered when it counts, but I guess I'm used to watching shows that try to make the most of a lesser CG budget with tokusatsu.

I don't think it's genuinely intended as a throwback. I mean, I guess in the sense of a Superhero fighting villains week-to-week? The soap opera aspect is definitely played up, sometimes excessively, but the same can be true for the comics.
    You’re a lot more forgiving than I am as I see almost no redeeming values in Flash and Supergirl(especially that last season from what I’ve seen so far, yikes) Actors are fine, the writing has been abysmal. If you still see merit in those shows, great but I’m just not seeing a lot of what they’ve achieved. To me, nowadays they’ve achieved very little.
    I think there is plenty redeeming about Flash and Supergirl in a collective sense even with their less than stellar later seasons, especially in terms of some of the characters/stories they adapted and made good use of.

Barry, The Flash suit, Mark Hamill returning as the Trickster, Grodd, Captain Cold, Reverse-Flash, Killer Frost, Vibe, Elongated Man, Joe West, Kara, Alex, J'onn, Brainiac-5, Lex, Reign, Dreamer, Mxy, Tyler Hoechlin as Superman, etc...
    The way worked:

We had Dinah Lance - mom

Dinah Drake - cop

For Canaries:

Don't forget about Evelyn Sharp who used the Black Canary identity for an episode after DLL died and before DD shows up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Honestly the most annoying thing here is 4 people with the same first name, do they at least have nicknames to make it less annoying to set them apart? Y'know, like the Allen/West family and the amount of people with the same name, but nicknames setting them apart lol.
    Dinah Lance went by "Laurel," Dinah Drake went by "Dinah."

The funny thing is they had her go by "Laurel" because they couldn't see any present-day woman going by "Dinah" even though they eventually introduced a character who exclusively went by Dinah.