Page 468 of 693 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469470471472478518568 ... LastLast
Results 7,006 to 7,020 of 10394

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And WW still doesn’t have a series lmao. Who is this for exactly? Getting mixed signals from Zaslov if he’s approving stuff like this.
    Pretty sure this is from pre Zaslove that we are only now hearing about. We won't hearing about what Zaslov approved until a few years from now.

I think this is more of them just capitalizing off of Harley Quinn's success so they want more shows in that vein; adult oriented, female lead animation shows based on dark comedy. Hence why we are also getting that Mindy Kaling Velma show that also has a lot of adult humor.

It's time to accept that DC/WB is totally disconnected from their fanbase and has no clue when it comes to the characters they own and what makes them tick.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's time to accept that DC/WB is totally disconnected from their fanbase and has no clue when it comes to the characters they own and what makes them tick.
    It's super funny that they are capitalizing on Harley Quinn's success by only taking a superficial interpretation that adult comedy animations work instead of actually paying attention to why the show works so well and trying to replicate that for Margot Robbie's live action Harley on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's super funny that they are capitalizing on Harley Quinn's success by only taking a superficial interpretation that adult comedy animations work instead of actually paying attention to why the show works so well and trying to replicate that for Margot Robbie's live action Harley on the big screen.
    I think James Gunn’s Harley was definitely in a similar vein as the animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Amusingly "goofy elastic dude" is a newer version of the character created by him leaving his original context behind. In his original stuff, he was the straight man. Woozy Winks was the silly one. And also his world in general to a degree. That partly remind when Phil Foglio brought him back he got a tad sillier.

Then he got put on JLA. Now how do you show that the guy who is famous for being from a comedic Super Hero comic is well that if he was his comic's, straight man? With no Woozy to be the silly one for him to bounce off the only way for him to represent his comedic element is to BE the silly one in a complete 180 on his orginal personality.
    Huh, I did remember hearing that he was the serious one in a silly world, but wasn't aware he was changed to reflect that silly world he was a part of and basically replace this Woozy guy, that's interesting.

Grace Randolph said some WB execs don't want to use Vixen (at least on the movie side) coz they find her to be too much like Black Panther

I guess on a superficial level but LMAO. I guess Hollywood has room for only one animal-themed superhero from Africa.
    I guess in the sense "they're black and are animal themed", but, man, what the ****? She's not a queen of a fictional country, and has powers of whatever anime she imitates, and lacks all of the bullshit tech T'Challa has... Among all the other differences in the kinds of stories they're used to tell.

It's like saying Superman and Longshot are too similar lol.

A friend of mine pointed out once that Warner animation has no idea how to make a movie without a Batman-like character, and said that Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge is an example of this with Raiden's personality being like Batman's (His personality starting in MK9 has him being a pretty heroic figure and that was consistent, he's closer to Superman than Batman), so yeah, that shows some disconnect lol.

A bunch of hacks copying what was popular without understanding why what was popular worked to begin with, that never happened before .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Grace Randolph said some WB execs don't want to use Vixen (at least on the movie side) coz they find her to be too much like Black Panther

I guess on a superficial level but LMAO. I guess Hollywood has room for only one animal-themed superhero from Africa.
    What in the actual hell? Mari has nothing in common with T’Challa aside from being African. Especially when DC already has their own Black Panther in Red Lion. I’d say Vixen is more of DC’s answer to Storm if anything.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

It's what happens when you have people who are purely number crunchers running things without an ounce of creativity in them and makes half thought out decisions based on pure impulse/panic.

Still, if Harley can get a show despite her close to rated R appearances in movies why not WW after the incredible reception it got for the 2017 movie?

I really wish that the close to PG 13 rated shows would make a comeback. The kind of shows that appealed to both kids and adults and especially tweens. The only one we have right now is YJ. Most of them seems to have died out after 'Legend of Korra' ended. Nowadays we either extreme kiddy stuff like TTG or the extreme adult almost parody shows like Harley Quinn.

I suspect this is part of a cost cutting measure. Much like how shows made on Adobe Flash was popular at some point. It's easier and cost effective to have simple hand drawn figures with not much variety in designs and poses and focusing on dialogue and humor rather than go through the effort of including more action and capturing those difficult angles.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    What in the actual hell? Mari has nothing in common with T’Challa aside from being African. Especially when DC already has their own Black Panther in Red Lion. I’d say Vixen is more of DC’s answer to Storm if anything.
    And also, they get their powers from a mystical item (T'Challa with the heart shaped herb and Mari with the Totem) and are connected to Gods.

After that though, the similarities end and the characters are complete polar opposites.

Still, it makes no sense. Wouldn't you want to capitalize on Black Panther's success and show that DC has their own heroes based on African mythology?

Extraordinary Member

And also, they get their powers from a mystical item (T'Challa with the heart shaped herb and Mari with the Totem) and are connected to Gods.

After that though, the similarities end and the characters are complete polar opposites.

Still, it makes no sense. Wouldn't you want to capitalize on Black Panther's success and show that DC has their own heroes based on African mythology?
    I thought the totem was just for focus and that Mari was godkin

Extraordinary Member

Pretty sure this is from pre Zaslove that we are only now hearing about. We won't hearing about what Zaslov approved until a few years from now.

I think this is more of them just capitalizing off of Harley Quinn's success so they want more shows in that vein; adult oriented, female lead animation shows based on dark comedy. Hence why we are also getting that Mindy Kaling Velma show that also has a lot of adult humor.

They definitely hear the fan base, which is why they write stuff in the comics

Just don’t expect meaningful change

https://twitter.com/thebat_family/st...ASFOMWrfT-ukuQ

I laugh because topics like this shows how out of touch some fans have become
    WB discovery is doing exactly what they should be doing

All the HBO Max content is being geared at adults because that is what is selling right now. Kids are not paying for streaming services adults are and there are multiple options for them to get free content without having to pay including TV
    Even the content on Netflix made for kids is absolutely doing bad and part of the reason Netflix cancelled a swath of their animated shows

If anything the only thing the new people in charge seem concerned about is reigning in costs

Exactly! Vixen has a lot of qualities that can make her an A lister and there are a lot of existing DC villains that could be a part of her rogues gallery (ex: Orca, the Batwing version of Lion Mane).
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

All the HBO Max content is being geared at adults because that is what is selling right now. Kids are not paying for streaming services adults are and there are multiple options for them to get free content without having to pay including TV
    Even the content on Netflix made for kids is absolutely doing bad and part of the reason Netflix cancelled a swath of their animated shows

If anything the only thing the new people in charge seem concerned about is reigning in costs
    But they are making more DC toons that aren't adult oriented. It's only Bat/Supes related though like My Adventures With Superman and Batman: Caped Crusader.

As usual Diana is left out in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

These are just some writers who are active on Twitter and want to be hip with the kids.

The actual execs have no clue what's going on. Zaslov talking so mechanically about doing market research and analyzing trends to see what kind of content works before greenlighting DC films is miles away from a Feige personally knowing what makes certain franchises and their lores tick and hiring creatives who can bring out the best in each character. It's why the MCU is a market disruptor and leader while DC is always playing catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

This is pretty silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

I thought kids were flocking to streaming instaed of cable.
    These are just some writers who are active on Twitter and want to be hip with the kids.

The actual execs have no clue what's going on. Zaslov talking so mechanically about doing market research and analyzing trends to see what kind of content works before greenlighting DC films is miles away from a Feige personally knowing what makes certain franchises and their lores tick and hiring creatives who can bring out the best in each character. It's why the MCU is a market disruptor and leader while DC is always playing catch up.
    I wouldn't even say Feige is perfect considering the production/scripting issues I've heard of for MoM. Or how Thor got basically turned into Hercules.

But they are making more DC toons that aren't adult oriented. It's only Bat/Supes related though like My Adventures With Superman and Batman: Caped Crusader.

As usual Diana is left out in the cold.
    I would love to see a Wonder Woman cartoon that was based on the pre-crisis version. To me she is my preferred version of the character, with boatloads of lore packed into those early Sensation Comics appearances that would be perfect for a TV narrative. With some big fights of course, but also episodes that show off Diana's non-combat related abilities.

Wonder Woman and her mythology is a goldmine