Page 501 of 693 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 10394

It definitely isn't. That one has Kara as the Super joining the Legion, Bendis's project will of course use Jon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

The thing that really sucks with the potential gutting of animation is that there's no stop gap in between seasons of a show. So, we had YJ and Harley Quinn this summer and then probably after this will be Pennyworth and later on down the road there will be the DC movies on HBO MAX. You gut the animation of movies/shows and there's nothing. Meanwhile look at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    The thing that really sucks with the potential gutting of animation is that there's no stop gap in between seasons of a show. So, we had YJ and Harley Quinn this summer and then probably after this will be Pennyworth and later on down the road there will be the DC movies on HBO MAX. You gut the animation of movies/shows and there's nothing. Meanwhile look at Marvel.
    Are they all the same audience, though?
    Those three are wildly different products. I doubt anyone sees them as part of the same cohesive strategy. So there's no real feeling of always having a DC show to follow, at least in my part.
    Meanwhile Disney is making sure Marvel fans are always serviced with new content in a more or less very cohesive universe.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Are they all the same audience, though?
    Those three are wildly different products. I doubt anyone sees them as part of the same cohesive strategy. So there's no real feeling of always having a DC show to follow, at least in my part.
    Meanwhile Disney is making sure Marvel fans are always serviced with new content in a more or less very cohesive universe.
    Well, it's not so much cohesion that I was referring to with DC as it is having something to watch while waiting for the next DC abimated/live action movie or big show to drop

Honestly I don't need "cohesion" in the Marvel sense because I feel like Marvel is too centered around MCU content. Not everything needs to be based around the MCU.

They even had to advertise a frankly standalone Spider-Man cartoon like it's in the MCU when it clearly isn't.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Looking at Marvel is what got us in this mess.

WBD keep screwing the pooch thinking they can be Marvel but want to shortcut the work because "our IP is iconic and should be bigger. "

Iron Man was a B-lister in the cultural zeitgeist until the movie and they built to their event movie. WBD tried to shortcut it with the one movie that honestly could (even Marvel people assumed the first Batman/Superman movie would easily break a billion) but it proved divisive.

They then doubled down and continued to until they were in this mess because they kept chasing the Marvel model without actually understanding the formula and the idea that moviegoers already had Marvel, thus not needing a DC knockoff.

Zaslav is just another example of someone chasing the Marvel dollar while trying to get more for less.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-05-2022 at 09:46 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Looking at Marvel is what got us in this mess.

WBD keep screwing the pooch thinking they can be Marvel but want to shortcut the work because "our IP is iconic and should be bigger. "

Iron Man was a B-lister in the cultural zeitgeist until the movie and they built to their event movie. WBD tried to shortcut it with the one movie that honestly could (even Marvel people assumed the first Batman/Superman movie would easily break a billion) but it proved divisive.

They then doubled down and continued to until they were in this mess because they kept chasing the Marvel model without actually understanding the formula and the idea that moviegoers already had Marvel, thus not needing a DC knockoff.

Zaslav is just another example of someone chasing the Marvel dollar while trying to get more for less.
    What's more, they don't seem to even really be paying attention to what Marvel has actually done.

Iron Man was well-loved, but Thor, The First Avenger, the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were all considered pretty much just okay. They pushed forwards and did The Avengers (and did it well) and that's why they became the powerhouse they are.

You gotta swallow some bad films without freaking out.

Yeah, Thor The Dark World in particular was a dud, which is why Thor Ragnarok retooled to a more comedic tone which carried over to the recently released Love and Thunder. Marvel hasn't always had successes. Eternals didn't rate so well either.

But DC are learning the wrong lessons. What Marvel did right, was that they had solo films first then the team. They should've done more than just Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman before doing Justice League. The other four Leaguers should've been introduced first. Instead, Wonder Woman and Aquaman were after the team film, Flash isn't out yet, and Cyborg didn't get a film at all - though with his STAR Labs related origin he could've shared Barry's movie. With the Wonder Woman and Aquaman films both being highly praised, Justice League would've definitely performed better if released after them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Zaslav is just another reactionary suit, but one with a hell of a debt on his mind too, so I'm not surprised at all that he wants to chase the easy money too. Unfortunately they will once again learn the hard way without actually learning anything.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-05-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Zaslav is just another reactionary suit, but one with a hell of a debt on his mind too, so I'm not surprised at all that he wants to chase the easy money too. Unfortunately they will once again learn the hard way without actually learning anything.
    To some degree I do sympathize. It's not like what he inherited wasn't a huge mess. I just think his approach is going to cause a much, much bigger mess

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    To some degree I do sympathize. It's not like what he inherited wasn't a huge mess. I just think his approach is going to cause a much, much bigger mess
    I find the Batgirl movie cancellation to be a terrible business decision tbh

Not only are you scaring away potential talent (i.e. the poeple that make your products) with this level of disrespect, you're also telling your potential audience not to have any emotional investment in your products because they can disappear overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post

Not only are you scaring away potential talent (i.e. the poeple that make your products) with this level of disrespect, you're also telling your potential audience not to have any emotional investment in your products because they can disappear overnight.
    Exactly if I was working in Hollywood in department and to choose between a Marvel project or a DC project I would choose a Marvel Project because if do that once and get away with that what's to stop them from doing it again? And it's not like DC and Batman hasn't released bad movies in the past, if you're willing to spend 70 million for re shoots and special effects for ZSJA which got was released on HBO Max you should at the very least let the cast and crew finish Batgirl to the best of their abilities and release it on HBO Max. It may not be a super smash hit but it could break even and not make DC look even worse by "censoring a movie with a popular female character" which is it looks like and drive away female fans and make DC look even worse than it already it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post

I'm sure there will be a bunch of people saying things along the lines of "They only did that because it was approved by the old guard, they won't do it to any new film" but I agree with you. The standard has been set, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He CHOSE to write the check for the company and take on that debt and mess.

He wants easy money-he needs to look at everything DC.

How many movies could he get for under $50 million? Instead of worrying about Marvel?

Plastic Man or Elongated Man?
    Warlord?
    Ted Kord Blue Beetle since he does need as many effects as Jaime.
    Power Girl
    Signal
    Vixen (limit on the animals that she uses)

Rebuild that good will with some DC movies that don't cost much and are decent to good. The endgame is not a Justice League movie but buying time until you can go on that path.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I'm sure there will be a bunch of people saying things along the lines of "They only did that because it was approved by the old guard, they won't do it to any new film" but I agree with you. The standard has been set, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression
    It LOOKS bad.

Especially to a POC. It just sends the wrong message to me. It seems a lot of folks are not liking what they have seen.

I could get if the film was not started or like 10% done. This film was done-eat that loss.

And for those saying look at the test audience comments-I can name a bunch of movies and shows that test audiences did not care for. Like Friends and Rambo.

Let it come out and let everyone judge it for themselves. If is bad lets point out those bad parts so it can help those directors and actors get better.