Page 541 of 693 FirstFirst ... 41441491531537538539540541542543544545551591641 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,115 of 10395

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not surprised but sucks for Guy, Alan, Jess, and Simon.

But they're keeping Sinestro, though? So I guess it's still cool for John to use Hal's Archenemy.

The producers/showrunners leaving is probably for the best, but slashing the budget? Yeah...I don't see that going well.
    Seems like a rather Didio-esque "We have our guy and **** everyone else" type of approach. You'd think the same folks who complained about that for years wouldn't be okay with it right now, yet here we are. This was never about one GL being prioritized over everyone else, it was always about the fact that the GL happened to be Hal Jordan. Now when it's seemingly the same approach but with another GL, suddenly it's all fine and good. Can you imagine the reaction if they shafted 5 GLs from a TV show for Hal's sake they way they did for John here. My tolerance for hypocrisy in this fandom is at an all-time low.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Doing a Green Lantern show without at least one of the two most recognizable Lanterns was always a strange move, and reading between the lines of the article, it was because the previous regime had declared John and Hal off-limits. With them gone that's obviously no longer an issue.
    I thought the generational premise was interesting and would be a good way of spotting other Lanterns, but I'm not surprised they went with a more recognizable character.

I guess that means a GLC movie is probably not happening. I wonder if this means they can do something with Hal in something else, preferably not Beware my Power-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Seems like a rather Didio-esque "We have our guy and **** everyone else" type of approach. You'd think the same folks who complained about that for years wouldn't be okay with it right now, yet here we are. This was never about one GL being prioritized over everyone else, it was always about the fact that the GL happened to be Hal Jordan. Now when it's seemingly the same approach but with another GL, suddenly it's all fine and good. Can you imagine the reaction if they shafted 5 GLs from a TV show for Hal's sake they way they did for John here. My tolerance for hypocrisy in this fandom is at an all-time low.
    Although fans have a right to be upset based on this decision and complain about it. But I don't think they're simply doing it based on a fan perspective, though. I think if they shafted 5 GLs for Hal, it would still be a positive reaction among fans, since Hal is a popular character, too. I think this was more of a business decision that they made if anything.

Out of the characters that was originally planned to be in the GL HBO Max series, the character who may suffer the most out of this would be Simon. Simon always seemed like the least popular GL, who doesn't have a real solid direction among DC Comics. Him being in the show would at least save him for being more redundant to where future writers may have something to do with him and possibly be featured in other mediums. This for sure will hurt him more than the other human GL characters it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Although fans have a right to be upset based on this decision and complain about it. But I don't think they're simply doing it based on a fan perspective, though. I think if they shafted 5 GLs for Hal, it would still be a positive reaction among fans, since Hal is a popular character, too. I think this was more of a business decision that they made if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Out of the characters that was originally planned to be in the GL HBO Max series, the character who may suffer the most out of this would be Simon. Simon always seemed like the least popular GL, who doesn't have a real solid direction among DC Comics. Him being in the show would at least save him for being more redundant to where future writers may have something to do with him and possibly be featured in other mediums. This for sure will hurt him more than the other human GL characters it seems.
    I think there's a chance for Simon, Jessica or even Guy to still make an appearance, but they won't be as main characters as they were originally slated to be, but in a supporting capacity since the focus is said to be on John. Which goes back to what I said elsewhere that if people were no fans when other GLs were used in a supporting capacity for Hal, why would they be here. This was also why people liked that John and Hal were initially not going to be part of this show since if they were, you kind of instantly get who the "real" main characters were going to be.

And I agree it's a business decision, that's how the GL brand has always been treated. You have one headlining GL and everyone else is surrounding him. When the headliner was Kyle, the others were his supporting characters too and none of them were even GLs anymore. But after Hal's return the reaction was always that DC purposely sabotaged all other GLs to push him even if they brought the Corps back with his return, yet here a show that was supposed to feature multiple fan favorite GLs gets scrapped and remade to feature only one and it doesn't appear to be nearly as volatile as whenever Hal was announced for any of his past major media appearances. I just think that Hal always gets particularly biased negative reactions mostly based on the notion that "he has no business being anymore" since people can get away with saying whatever they want about him.

One thing I will say though is that this at least appears to be a smart approach of trying to gain some more maintream audience first before doing another potential GL theatrical release down the line. Remember The Flash movie was originally announced right after The Flash TV show first premiered. Given the fact that the GL brand has been badly damaged, it makes sense to give it some good exposure first before trying to do another movie. It feels like the MCU's Disney+ series where some of the new characters get exposure there first before venturing into the big screen. Sam Wilson becoming the new Captain America in his Disney+ series prior to announcing his live-action movie for instance.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-26-2022 at 01:52 PM.

I can't see any this show being any good based on everything I've heard about it so far especially since after so many years, they're already retooling it. I'd rather they just relaunch the franchise on the big screen than fucking it up on the small screen. Especially when Zaslav is going hard on TV shows that aren't big hits like the Game of Thrones spinoffs

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

So, my family recently watched Shazam for movie night and it was a really fun film. I really liked that it centered on the protagonist Billy and Freddy (and the rest of his family to a degree) because that's rightly the core of the film. Having Billy and Freddy act their age when it came to Billy having powers and being a superhero was the best part and something that really made the film its own. Their joy and excitement was infectious.

I liked the perspective flip they did with Billy and his mother. Billy was young and of course, unaware of the hardship his mother was going through, and seeing that reflected in the slight difference between the flashbacks was clever. The whole scene between the two was good and it as naturally sad to see how all the things that had significance to Billy (such as the trinket his mother won) didn't have any significance to her including the reunion itself.

There was only two things I didn't like:

1. The catalyst to the fallout between Billy and Freddy because Freddy doesn't come off as trying to use Billy for clout as much as he comes off as trying to avoid getting attacked by the two people who had already violently assaulted him previously. It's not that the clout thing isn't in play, but it ends up waay in the background due to it. When Freddy's talking about knowing Shazam in the hallway, it doesn't come across like he's desperate to seem cool and more like he's afraid.

2. The action part of specifically the climax dragged for me: the action wasn't enough of a spectacle or enough character moments (ex. like Darla meeting Santa) to carry its runtime. The fighting the Seven Sins and rescuing the Ferris Wheel feels like it could have been compressed more and nothing would have been lost.

It's definitely a film I would recommend, especially to people who want a jovial superhero film or like superhero slice-of-life stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    So, my family recently watched Shazam for movie night and it was a really fun film. I really liked that it centered on the protagonist Billy and Freddy (and the rest of his family to a degree) because that's rightly the core of the film. Having Billy and Freddy act their age when it came to Billy having powers and being a superhero was the best part and something that really made the film its own. Their joy and excitement was infectious.

I liked the perspective flip they did with Billy and his mother. Billy was young and of course, unaware of the hardship his mother was going through, and seeing that reflected in the slight difference between the flashbacks was clever. The whole scene between the two was good and it as naturally sad to see how all the things that had significance to Billy (such as the trinket his mother won) didn't have any significance to her including the reunion itself.

There was only two things I didn't like:

1. The catalyst to the fallout between Billy and Freddy because Freddy doesn't come off as trying to use Billy for clout as much as he comes off as trying to avoid getting attacked by the two people who had already violently assaulted him previously. It's not that the clout thing isn't in play, but it ends up waay in the background due to it. When Freddy's talking about knowing Shazam in the hallway, it doesn't come across like he's desperate to seem cool and more like he's afraid.

2. The action part of specifically the climax dragged for me: the action wasn't enough of a spectacle or enough character moments (ex. like Darla meeting Santa) to carry its runtime. The fighting the Seven Sins and rescuing the Ferris Wheel feels like it could have been compressed more and nothing would have been lost.

It's definitely a film I would recommend, especially to people who want a jovial superhero film or like superhero slice-of-life stuff.
    Mary didn't even get to do anything but fight tentacles.

I’ve had a lot of doubts that the GLC show, as it was pitched, would ever happen. Even when they assured everyone this past year that things were still on track, I still didn’t believe it. The budget for a proper GL show would be way too high, unless you just have them hardly ever creating constructs or flying. They could just jog to the crisis and only use their powers for like 2 minutes as episode like Firestorm on Legends of Tomorrow. Also, if this was supposed to take place in space and different time periods they would need to spend a lot of money on sets. With all the financial issues going on at WB I couldn’t imagine them pulling this off.

The GL franchise is still in the pop culture gutter thanks to the failed movie. I think streamlining the project and just focusing on John Stewart is the way to go.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Mary didn't even get to do anything but fight tentacles.
    Bear in mind, I'm looking at the film as someone who has no real knowledge of Captain Marvel/Shazam lore and characters therefore this doesn't matter to me. Just as I'm a casual reader, I'm a casual movie-goer.

The film centers on Billy and Freddy with the rest of the siblings being an ensemble. Mary is part of the sibling ensemble, so I had no reason to expect her to play any bigger role than the rest of them therefore it's not a criticism I have. The film doesn't have her be part of the focus to the degree it does Freddy.

If I was someone who's familiar with the comics and the importance of its character (ex. Mary being a major/main character) then I'd expect it might matter to me. The same with Sivana apparently being different from his comicbook counterpart.

It's the difference in viewing between a comic book viewer and a casual viewer. Doctor Fate's death really bothers me and other Kent Nelsons fans, but an unfamiliar viewer doesn't have the same reaction - mostly they just mourn the loss of a cool character - because they don't know the character's story and therefore don't know what could have been/was wasted.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 10-27-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Bear in mind, I'm looking at the film as someone who has no real knowledge of Captain Marvel/Shazam lore and characters therefore this doesn't matter to me. Just as I'm a casual reader, I'm a casual movie-goer.

The film centers on Billy and Freddy with the rest of the siblings being an ensemble. Mary is part of the sibling ensemble, so I had no reason to expect her to play any bigger role than the rest of them therefore it's not a criticism I have. The film doesn't have her be part of the focus to the degree it does Freddy.

If I was someone who's familiar with the comics and the importance of its character (ex. Mary being a major/main character) then I'd expect it might matter to me. The same with Sivana apparently being different from his comicbook counterpart.

It's the difference in viewing between a comic book viewer and a casual viewer. Doctor Fate's death really bothers me and other Kent Nelsons fans, but an unfamiliar viewer doesn't have the same reaction - mostly they just mourn the loss of a cool character - because they don't know the character's story and therefore don't know what could have been/was wasted.
    I think objectively Mary got the least to do when transformed compared to everybody else. I don't think she really got a moment.

As a fan, she, Billy, and Freddy were the original Marvel Family so you would expect her to be fairly important like Freddy was. You kind of get that because it seems like she brings the family together as the oldest (I hate that she's older than Billy, but c'est la vie).

Astonishing Member

It's soon 2023, and the failed GL movie came out in 2011. Enough time has passed.

I think objectively Mary got the least to do when transformed compared to everybody else. I don't think she really got a moment.

As a fan, she, Billy, and Freddy were the original Marvel Family so you would expect her to be fairly important like Freddy was. You kind of get that because it seems like she brings the family together as the oldest (I hate that she's older than Billy, but c'est la vie).
    Didn't the actress for Hero Mary quit too, so Teen Mary's actor ended up playing both versions of her in the sequel?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't the actress for Hero Mary quit too, so Teen Mary's actor ended up playing both versions of her in the sequel?
    I don't know if it's so much that they quit so much as they made Mary so much older that she could convincingly play both.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    It's soon 2023, and the failed GL movie came out in 2011. Enough time has passed.
    The Deadpool movie reminded everyone and cemented it’s toxic status.