Page 568 of 693 FirstFirst ... 68468518558564565566567568569570571572578618668 ... LastLast
Results 8,506 to 8,520 of 10395

90s Spider-Man, you're right about. Some very outdated looking CGI in that one. What's wrong with X-Men though? It was pretty accurate to the comics, barring some roster changes when they directly adapted 80s comic storylines (for example, the Dark Phoenix arc had Colossus, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat swapped out for Rogue, Beast and Jubilee, and Days of Future Past switched out Kitty for Bishop).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    90s Spider-Man, you're right about. Some very outdated looking CGI in that one. What's wrong with X-Men though? It was pretty accurate to the comics, barring some roster changes when they directly adapted 80s comic storylines (for example, the Dark Phoenix arc had Colossus, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat swapped out for Rogue, Beast and Jubilee, and Days of Future Past switched out Kitty for Bishop).
    I never really cared for the voice acting. The dialogue was...bad to say the least (which was an issue I also had with the Spider-Man cartoon). And the animation...yeah, even the creators have said they did the best with what they had.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm not really sure what holds them back. They're doing exactly what they're designed to do which is tie into the MCU in an entertaining fashion. *shurgs*
    Writing issues, pacing issues, production issues, etc.
    IDK, I'd say What If? is as good as either Spectacular Spider-Man or Earth's Mightiest, which I think are really the only standouts 30 or so years (for all the fan praise they seem to get, the '90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons do not age well).
    To me What If comes off a lot more shallow and relying on novelty compared to any of those shows, even the dated ones. It's a lot better than the Loeb-era cartoons, which isn't saying much, but it never hits the highs or consistency of the best Marvel cartoons in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Writing issues, pacing issues, production issues, etc.
    Sure there were some of those. Regardless, though, many still found WandaVision, Falcon & the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and Werewolf By Night top notch.[/QUOTE]

To me What If comes off a lot more shallow and relying on novelty compared to any of those shows, even the dated ones. It's a lot better than the Loeb-era cartoons, which isn't saying much, but it never hits the highs or consistency of the best Marvel cartoons in my opinion.
    What do you consider Marvel's best cartoons?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Sure there were some of those. Regardless, though, many still found WandaVision, Falcon & the Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, and Werewolf By Night top notch.
    I enjoy them myself, though I also had my issues with them as well.
    What do you consider Marvel's best cartoons?
    Top three and probably the highest bar would be Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and X-Men Evolution.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoy them myself, though I also had my issues with them as well.

Top three and probably the highest bar would be Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and X-Men Evolution.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily exclude What If? either. The above three were heavily serialized (much like the comic books it borrowed many of their stories from) while What If? had a different approach in that each episode told an original story and was more or less self-contained (much like the comic which it takes it's name from) up until the very end.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but at the same time I wouldn't necessarily exclude What If? either. The above three were heavily serialized (much like the comic books it borrowed many of their stories from) while What If? had a different approach in that each episode told an original story and was more or less self-contained (much like the comic which it takes it's name from) up until the very end.
    I feel like that fit the premise but didn't lend itself to the writing quality of the other shows because a lot of it was just a one-off and the stories weren't always allowed to breathe or really do much with the premise.

And some episodes really doubled-down a bit too much on the "MCU humor undercutting the tension and drama" thing. Especially the Zombies episode.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like that fit the premise but didn't lend itself to the writing quality of the other shows because a lot of it was just a one-off and the stories weren't always allowed to breathe or really do much with the premise.
    We'll have to disagree on this one. Many of the episodes reminded me a lot of what I loved about the various What If? series' that've come out in the past. Solid one and dones are a rarity in both comics and television, lately, and I really feel as if D+'s What If? (like the title that came before) really nailed it.

And some episodes really doubled-down a bit too much on the "MCU humor undercutting the tension and drama" thing. Especially the Zombies episode.
    At this point this is just something you have to take or leave. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon, especially since it still seems to be working for them.

We'll have to disagree on this one. Many of the episodes reminded me a lot of what I loved about the various What If? series' that've come out in the past. Solid one and dones are a rarity in both comics and television, lately, and I really feel as if D+'s What If? (like the title that came before) really nailed it.
    Oh, I get the appeal of solid one and dones, in fact I think DC Animation has done some of the best with their DC Showcase shorts and they don't even need to spin off from a movie continuity to do it and feature some really obscure characters .
    At this point this is just something you have to take or leave. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon, especially since it still seems to be working for them.
    I think we've started to see a bit of a pushback on it, at least in extreme excess.

Extraordinary Member

I think we've started to see a bit of a pushback on it, at least in extreme excess.
    While I did enjoy Love & Thunder, admittedly, there was a bit of tonal whiplash. That said, I think that's about the only property that went too far.

While I did enjoy Love & Thunder, admittedly, there was a bit of tonal whiplash. That said, I think that's about the only property that went too far.
    I feel like it's been a lingering criticism for a lot of Phase 4 films, it just stood out more with LoT in my opinion.

Of course it did feel kind of gratifying .

Extraordinary Member

I feel like it's been a lingering criticism for a lot of Phase 4 films, it just stood out more with LoT in my opinion.

Of course it did feel kind of gratifying .
    For the most part, I felt that the tone and humor of the rest of the films were pretty well balanced. Even their worst Phase 4 film (Eternals) somehow managed to be the most streamed MCU on Disney+ in 2022, so clearly even when they miss they end up hitting.

For the most part, I felt that the tone and humor of the rest of the films were pretty well balanced. Even their worst Phase 4 film (Eternals) somehow managed to be the most streamed MCU on Disney+ in 2022, so clearly even when they miss they end up hitting.
    I feel like LaT and Eternals are competing for worst received Phase 4 film...

I'm hoping the new DCU can strike a good tonal balance. And maybe better adapt some stuff.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like LaT and Eternals are competing for worst received Phase 4 film...

I'm hoping the new DCU can strike a good tonal balance. And maybe better adapt some stuff.
    If Gunn's DCU is half as good as his MCU stuff and Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, I think we're in good hands.

If Gunn's DCU is half as good as his MCU stuff and Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, I think we're in good hands.
    Well, I don't want TSS or Peacemaker type content for stuff like Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman, and I don't really want more stuff like Vol. 2, but I get where you're coming from.