Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I wish we could've seen Simones run, had she not been shot down by DC about certain things. I wish there were some sketches of what she wanted to change to the costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    why is it necessary? what does it add to her story? how is this not sensationalizing? I'm obviously very PRO more LGBT representation in comics ... but it's not necessary to force fit onto a character simply because it would be expedient. The only reason Hippolyta or Diana are ever considered Bi or Lesbian is because they come from a society of only women. Why not turn Mera into a bisexual or Black Canary or have Aquaman or Kyle Rayner have affairs with men? Alan Scott Earth 2 was poorly handled and pointless ... because all they were trying to do was make a headline. They pretty much stopped developing that storyline for 2 years and now that the title is failing they are going back to it to see if it generates interest.
    every character is a different case. Many people think Black canary is a bisexual, Gail even wrote that but somebody edited it out. Heterossexuality is everywhere, even when characters never said what are their sexuality but heterossexuality is the norm so they are that by default.
    Last year on a Brazilian soap opeara there was a female character that was married to a man, had a kid with him, only had heterossexual relationships. But she falls in love with a woman. It was very well accept by the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Steve also comes with 40 years of baggage. The relationship with WW was rarely a healthy one, often resorting to borderline abusive. Post-Marston Steve took on a role in the comics that was much more culturally acceptable for the 1950s, often times his approval and love becomes the only thing that matters to WW. He went from a character used to illustrate how WW was independent to a character using her to illustrate the importance of being a good girl in 1950s society.

When Steve was shelved as her love interest as part of the Post-Crisis reboot, it was in part to give a WW a fresh start while still honoring the history of the character by keeping Steve in an important role. Simone's run, to attempt and bring this back on topic, seems to have paid homage to Steve through Tom, but she clearly Diana in the alpha position. IMO Simone's Diana did to Tom what she should have done to Steve for about 20-years during the Silver Age ... Dumped him on his @ss.
    there was all these problems in the past, it doesn't mean nothing for steve and diana. It speaks more about the sexism of the time than about the relationship.
    well steve barely had a role after the post-crisis reboot, he faded into oblivion. so to do a fresh start they dumped him into oblivion? this is very wrong.
    well it was tom that dumped diana
    Last edited by Blacksun; 01-27-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    every character is a different case. Many people think Black canary is a bisexual, Gail even wrote that but somebody edited it out. Heterossexuality is everywhere, even when characters never said what are their sexuality but heterossexuality is the norm so they are that by default.
    Last year on a Brazilian soap opeara there was a female character that was married to a man, had a kid with him, only had heterossexual relationships. But she falls in love with a woman. It was very well accept by the public.
    You didn't answer the questions. Personally I'm glad that Simone wasn't allowed to force LGBT-ness onto these characters. I would rather her introduce new characters, or at least introduce the idea with a character that isn't blatantly straight for their entire existence. Having Philipus be in unrequited love with Hippolyta could have made for a beautiful story that wouldn't have necessitated a fundamental change to either character. It could also show that Hippolyta loves Philipus without it needing to be sexual. I don't believe Philipus has ever been portrayed as either straight or overtly lesbian so it would be more natural (i.e. no continuity break) to use her.

But we're hopelessly off topic at this point so I'm going to just drop it.

BANNED

Phillipus with a unrequited love seems like a really easy way to queerbait, once upon a time did the same thing.

answering your question it is necessary? no, but why not? most of the romantic stories aren't necessary but still exists

I don't think the amazons being predominantly lesbian or even bisexual is forcing "LGBT-ness" onto anything. Did they ever confirm in a story that Hippolyta was straight up heterosexual? If not, then it's not Gail "forcing" Hippolyta to be in a gay relationship with Phillipus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think the amazons being predominantly lesbian or even bisexual is forcing "LGBT-ness" onto anything. Did they ever confirm in a story that Hippolyta was straight up heterosexual? If not, then it's not Gail "forcing" Hippolyta to be in a gay relationship with Phillipus.
    HIppolyta has been exclusively in heterosexual relationships througuout her entire existence. A few hints of a relationship with Philipus made outside of canon is worse "queer baiting" than writing a story about a gay character being in love with a hetero character. I also find it sort of crappy to have Hippolyta portrayed as a woman who was in a millennia long relationship with Philipus, only to have a torrid affair with Zeus ... Bad enough that she was complicit in his cheating on his wife, her simultaneously cheating on hers just makes it worse. Pre-crisis she was also carrying on with Wildcat and fell in love with Heracles. This doesn't preclude bisexuality, but it does make her horrible if she supposedly had a long term relationship with Philipus and IMO marginalized a gay relationship by making it so easy for Hippolyta to abandon Philipus. So I like to believe that Hippolyta and Philipus are simply friends.

BANNED

Knockout wasn't a lgbt character on her introduction, later she was revealed to scandal lover.
    korra and asami were introduced having interest in mako, later is revealed that they are bisexuals.

It is not queerbait, it is representation. I think it would have the same validity to philippus and hipollyta

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Knockout wasn't a lgbt character on her introduction, later she was revealed to scandal lover.
    korra and asami were introduced having interest in mako, later is revealed that they are bisexuals.

It is not queerbait, it is representation. I think it would have the same validity to philippus and hipollyta
    We'll just have to disagree on this.