Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Its decent. Like Dr. Poison I thought it really lost steam with the gorillas and all that jazz. Never felt that. And it felt like the Nemesis relationship was just a huge waste of time with the way it ended. Kind of a jip for fans invested only to find out that in reality she was never into the guy that much. I was ready for a change when change came. I think Odyssey was actually on par with this one, though that fizzled at the end as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-24-2015 at 05:19 PM.

BANNED

The relationship with Tom was wasted because editorial had to screw with it (again), Not the Gail's fault, she could make it work. since Perez reboot writers try to hook up ww with someone but editorial keep blocking.

Two of the best moments on Gail run. But this one is really prophetic:

Where was it stated that editorial was responsible for the direction of the relationship? I'm not explicitly doubting it, pre New-52 WW was micromanaged as hell (hopefully it doesn't go back down that road), I just haven't ever heard it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-24-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Like others, I say that Gail's run was decent. It had it's ups and downs. The first arc was one of the best stories ever.

Still, the gorillas were a little ridiculous, the one-panel slaying of just about Diana's only serious villain (Ares) was lame, and Genocide was total crap.

As others have pointed out, I agree that it's very likely that Editorial played a role in making Gail's run less than it should have been. If Editorial had given Gail the same level of freedom they'd given Azz, it probably would've been much better.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its decent. Like Dr. Poison I thought it really lost steam with the gorillas and all that jazz. Never felt that. And it felt like the Nemesis relationship was just a huge waste of time with the way it ended. Kind of a jip for fans invested only to find out that in reality she was never into the guy that much. I was ready for a change when change came. I think Odyssey was actually on par with this one, though that fizzled at the end as well.

I was also saddened by Diana and Nemesis parting ways during Gail's run. He was the first person I liked Diana with since Steve Trevor. My other major issues with her run were the previous dislike of the gorillas, turning Giganta into Diana's gal-pal, and the overly long Olympian arc.

"The Circle" arc was probably my favorite arc from Gail's run. I also enjoyed the amount of attention Gail gave to Donna Troy.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I was also saddened by Diana and Nemesis parting ways during Gail's run. He was the first person I liked Diana with since Steve Trevor.

"The Circle" arc was probably my favorite arc from Gail's run.
    The thing I hated most about the Nemesis/Diana breakup is the fact that Gail made Diana the "bad guy" in the breakup. Really? Diana would just use a guy because she suddenly wanted kids? REALLY? A woman dedicated to the Truth would lie through her teeth to a guy just so she could get what she wanted out of him?

Ugh!

I wasn't a fan of Tom from the start. I found him insufferably annoying. But the fact is that during that scene, I actually would've cheered him on if he absolutely let Diana have it in that scene.

Gail? You are aware that you're not actually supposed to make us HATE the main character of this book, right?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The thing I hated most about the Nemesis/Diana breakup is the fact that Gail made Diana the "bad guy" in the breakup. Really? Diana would just use a guy because she suddenly wanted kids? REALLY? A woman dedicated to the Truth would lie through her teeth to a guy just so she could get what she wanted out of him?

Ugh!

I wasn't a fan of Tom from the start. I found him insufferably annoying. But the fact is that during that scene, I actually would've cheered him on if he absolutely let Diana have it in that scene.

Gail? You are aware that you're not actually supposed to make us HATE the main character of this book, right?
    I don't think it was so much we were supposed to hate Diana, just maybe see her as flawed. Unfortunately, it could have been handled better.

Jerking around with a guy's feelings I see as more than just a flaw though. Even if a situation where arise where Wonder Woman just needed a man's seed for a baby (an idea as a whole that never grabbed me anyway), I like to think Diana would be upfront about it and give her proposed chosen mate the chance to say "Thanks, but no thanks".

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think it was so much we were supposed to hate Diana, just maybe see her as flawed. Unfortunately, it could have been handled better.
    Revealing that she has a few personality quirks is making her flawed. Showing that she isn't infallible is making her flawed.

Revealing that she is totally leading a guy on for the express purpose of using him for her own ends makes her an unlikeable shrew, at best. A borderline sociopath, at worst.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I generally liked her run ... The Circle being the high point and Olympian the low IMO. I didn't really mind the gorillas, but I never saw the point of them either. Kind of like the Ferdinand the Minotaur being a chef/butler. (I don't recall if he was Gail.'s creation though) regardless, I was always like HUH??

Not a huge fan of the run.

The throwback Golden Age stuff (gorillas, giant sharks, Etta Candy) were fun. And the art was generally good and colorful, but...

But Gail was really the first writer to introduce the idea of "bad amazons" on the island and it has kind of stuck. Not just amazons who disagreed, but amazons who killed each other. As primitive as Perez made his amazons, he didn't make them savage. And Gail did do that with the Circle.

Also, I really disliked the "voice" of Diana in the series. She lacked warmth. I especially disliked whenever she would go into battle and Gail would do the whole Robert-Downwy-Sherlock-Holmes tactical mind thing. It just seemed out of character, as did having Hippolyta spear a fleeing female in the back.

The Khund/GL story was also icky. Why would Diana let herself get beat up to "prove a point" when she could have done the exact same thing by evading every blow? The same kind of thing happened in JLA/Wildcats, in the WW/Zealot battle but in that case, Diana just kept dodging and deflecting blows until Zealot had to admit she would never win.

I just felt that Gail was trying too hard to justify Diana's mental and physical toughness at the expense of her skill, intelligence, and compassion.

Following Phil Jimenez, Gail Simone made Wonder Woman an adventurer, again.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Looking back I have to admit Gail's run doesn't amount to anything more than mediocre for me. It wasn't super good, but it wasn't terrible either. It's the kind of run I expect to appear between runs/stories that really challenge the readers and fans which also tends to shake up the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post

I just felt that Gail was trying too hard to justify Diana's mental and physical toughness at the expense of her skill, intelligence, and compassion.
    To be fair though, while the GL fight might have been to prove her toughness by neglecting skill, she did also write the fight with Power Girl where skill was on clear display and easilly won the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The Khund/GL story was also icky. Why would Diana let herself get beat up to "prove a point" when she could have done the exact same thing by evading every blow? The same kind of thing happened in JLA/Wildcats, in the WW/Zealot battle but in that case, Diana just kept dodging and deflecting blows until Zealot had to admit she would never win.

Diana wasn't trying to show the GL that he couldn't win against her, though. She was trying to show him that she was not his enemy. As mad as he was, constantly dodging his attacks would've probably only made him angrier and more determined to hurt Diana. Key word? "Determined." When Green Lanterns get determined, they get stronger. Willpower is their power source, after all. So dodging him would've just fed his Willpower and potentially escalated the conflict. Plus? Don't forget the Green Lanterns are only limited by their imaginations. If he sees Diana dodging his directed attacks, he could easily switch to various indirect attacks and/or Area of Effect attacks that would be harder for Diana to evade.

Having him waste all his anger on feeble, ineffectual attacks, while continuing to show him nothing but compassion and a desire to ease his pain was more likely to defuse the situation.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Where was it stated that editorial was responsible for the direction of the relationship? I'm not explicitly doubting it, pre New-52 WW was micromanaged as hell (hopefully it doesn't go back down that road), I just haven't ever heard it.
    ww still is micromanaged, at least on what is about her love life.

She already said that it was heavy on editor interference, she wouldn't wast pages on a relationship that went nowhere.

If Diana wanted to have a daughter she could just ask a friend, or just go to a sperm bank. I know that in LA has some with really good donors that are actors trying to get in hollywood show biz.
    that would be dumb, everything I saw was the complicated game of love. ww didn't fall in love in the first time, but she was in proccess until she wasn't