Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

She will be grown up in the 100th special issue. Chief of Staff Pryde will be so stressed at an older Eva Bell being near President Summers.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So Tempus still has that mystery on what she saw and Celeste is becoming a nicer person after attaching herself to Tempus.

However there's a pressing issue.

All-New X-Men #26 is yet another issue that got the hair wrong for Tempus! Her hair is long now! Also, when does Tempus know of Mystique? I forget. Or is it possible Raze impersonating Tempus?!

It would explain the hair and we all know that when her hair got long no one really noticed, Cyke even tried to guess what changed but couldn't figure out that it was her hair.
    I'm thinking Tempus knows about Mystique from X-Men: No More Mutants when Raze and Mystique tried to kill her.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Full disclosure, no one involved with the film actually read any source material, lest not anything written in the past decade.

She's the ONLY standout. OOOOhhh, dizzy. I like the dim 40 watt softlight, I have to admit. So sue me.
    I don't think the NXS has any standouts all the students have their moments, and they all have a lot of potential, but once Bendis gets off the book they will most likely end up like the New X-Men volume 2 kids.
    Last edited by Rochedalaix; 07-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Kiden isn't a speedster, either. She steps outside of time, which gives the impression of super-speed but she's explicitly manipulating time (this is confirmed in X-Force, where a villain is using her for some sort of time travel scheme).

Anyway if I'm understanding you, the basic difference is that Tempus affects other people with her time-bubbles while she is immune to them, whereas Kiden is affecting herself by entering a different time stream altogether.
    Eva isn't affected by the slow effect but she can send herself and others throw time with her bubble. How she does that is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    She will be grown up in the 100th special issue. Chief of Staff Pryde will be so stressed at an older Eva Bell being near President Summers.
    I would hope that she moved on at that point as that's years later and Cyke is married in that special issue.

Maybe Celeste and her become a thing?

BANNED

Eva isn't affected by the slow effect but she can send herself and others throw time with her bubble. How she does that is anyone's guess.
    Either way, it sounds like Bendis could easily have used Kiden for Uncanny rather than creating a new character. Nothing against Eva, just would have been nice to see the NYX kids get some love.

Mighty Member

Either way, it sounds like Bendis could easily have used Kiden for Uncanny rather than creating a new character. Nothing against Eva, just would have been nice to see the NYX kids get some love.
    Bendis could have used Elixir for Uncanny instead of Triage but I feel he'd also be written out of character.

Kiden wouldn't be a badass athletic Australian who has a great sense of humor and charisma. Don't think Kiden is a huge fan of a certain redhead at the levels Eva is.

Kiden doesn't have Time Bubbles either.

It does blow that old characters don't get love unless they're one of the really iconic ones during Marvel's youth. Poor Rachel Summers gets treated like dirt.

BANNED

Kiden wouldn't be a badass athletic Australian who has a great sense of humor and charisma. Don't think Kiden is a huge fan of a certain redhead at the levels Eva is.
    True, but I was thinking mainly in terms of power set, not personality (not that Kiden can't be considered badass herself).

Which isn't to say that couldn't have become an extension of her power (especially, once again, considering a future version was explicitly being used as a time machine). It wouldn't be a stretch to have her develop the ability to create those bubbles as she gained more experience and control over them.

It does blow that old characters don't get love unless they're one of the really iconic ones during Marvel's youth. Poor Rachel Summers gets treated like dirt.
    Yeah, the NXM kids especially have been getting hurt by that one, ESPECIALLY seeing as they've already been around the block, watched about half their numbers get asploded, yet are suddenly being treated as rank amateurs with no training or combat experience again (for that matter, weren't Santo and Victor moonlighting as a Batman and Robin-esque masked vigilante team for a while?). I mean, seriously, they only took down Nimrod.

It does make me wonder when new characters are created with the same or similar power sets to older ones if it's a matter of the writer just not doing the research to see what preexisting characters could be a fit for the story, or wanting to do things their own way and not have to bother with it. Say, to use xiyon's example, Bendis may have wanted Elixer to be his team healer, but didn't want to be tied to Elixer's past characterization, so *poof* here's Triage, he's got the exact same powers, without the baggage of prior history so he now has carte blanche to develop him however he wants (then again, not like Bendis needs a NEW character for that considering how badly he's written preexisting characters to begin with...)

Mighty Member

It does make me wonder when new characters are created with the same or similar power sets to older ones if it's a matter of the writer just not doing the research to see what preexisting characters could be a fit for the story, or wanting to do things their own way and not have to bother with it. Say, to use xiyon's example, Bendis may have wanted Elixer to be his team healer, but didn't want to be tied to Elixer's past characterization, so *poof* here's Triage, he's got the exact same powers, without the baggage of prior history so he now has carte blanche to develop him however he wants (then again, not like Bendis needs a NEW character for that considering how badly he's written preexisting characters to begin with...)
    I think Bendis is great at writing his own original characters, and not preexisting versions. I don't like how he portrays the Uncanny X-Men, but the Uncanny students are alright. I enjoyed his Ultimates run, but that was mostly because it was supposed to be a reimagining of the characters.

Anyway, I'm not gonna dwell on my misgivings against Bendis' writing further since this thread is for Eva's appreciation.

As I haven't been following the UXM/Nova/Iron Man special after the UXM issue, has Eva made any more appearances in that mini?

BANNED

Good points, especially Rachel.
    I love that Eva is a big fan-girl. She has potential.

Well, there's only so many powers out there and there could be hold ups or reasons as to why older characters cannot be used. I'm sure Bendis prefers using new characters of his own creation as he has greater say on their development, they're mostly blank slates for him to mold and he doesn't have to go looking around to figure out whose approval he needs to use a past character or whether it would be cool to use them in ways he wants to for the overral story.

It also does seem to be the case that Bendis is really good at writing his own creations, or original versions of past creations in new universes, but he can't seem to establish the voices of certain established characters. Such as how he's handling X-23 which is quite... Odd to say the least. At the very least he does know when he cannot write a character that well at all, or has no taste for writing about them, as he doesn't seem to know what to do with Rachel so he pushes her to minor roles or ignores her.

While those like RR seem to insist on forcing their version, and ignoring past versions, on established characters to bad effect for his stories. Such as his mistreatment of Rogue and Scarlet Witch.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 07-04-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

I like Tempus, mainly because her fangirl-ness. While that's become the go-to personality for writers trying to write a teenage girl, she wears it well. Her crush on Cyke is cute, and I like that it hasn't turned weird (yet), like with Elixer and Rahne, though that was in-character for him (definitely not for her, though). While I take issue with her power set (seriously, OP is very appropriate here), her inexperience stops her from being completely overpowered, though when that's gone, her an Magik will basically take over the world.

Oh, and Bendis? Thank you for making her stop saying 'crikey'! I've lived in Australia all my life, and I can tell you, no young people say it un-ironically and definitely no one says it in a serious fashion. The very few exceptions would be a bogan (our equivalent of a hillbilly), which Eva obviously isn't, and even then they very rarely use the word crikey. 'Bloody' is more accurate, and even that is rarely used. These days, Australians tend to just speak like Americans but with a slight accent and even that is generally fading away. I recall reading, "bloody crikey" in an issue and just facepalming. Sorry to rant, but it really was a godsend to me when that stuff disappeared.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Ultimate Member

My question about her is what if anything will happen to her if/when she lives through Bendis' time on the books, I mean what will she have outside of a crush on Scott...hoping there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    My question about her is what if anything will happen to her if/when she lives through Bendis' time on the books, I mean what will she have outside of a crush on Scott...hoping there's more.
    She has her charisma, natural leadership(Other members have turned to her for leadership a few times), her power set, and the such. Eventually she'll have to get over her Cyke crush so don't worry too much about it as that isn't the biggest thing that defines her.

Ultimate Member

Not be mean but so far that's pretty much her only thing of note, it's the item about her that people talk about the most, and the next writer to use her could just as easily change her to a brainless newby...and she has plenty of other characters to jump over before getting in another book...

Peeking in on this thread since I haven't in a while. How is everyone?