Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default 6 Post-"Convergence" DC Comics Titles We Can't Wait to Read

With the New 52 on its way out and a couple dozen new series on the way, here are the fresh starts and new takes we're excited to get our hands on.

Full article here.

Decent list, but I'd put the Starfire series up there as well. I think she's one of those characters who is most in need of an overhaul. She became way too flat after the New 52 reboot. A fresh start and a new approach is just what she needs to be awesome again.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Not the list I would have went with.

Martian Manhunter
    Midnighter
    Section Eight
    Green Lantern: Lost Army
    JLA
    Dr. Fate
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Decent list, but I'd put the Starfire series up there as well. I think she's one of those characters who is most in need of an overhaul. She became way too flat after the New 52 reboot. A fresh start and a new approach is just what she needs to be awesome again.
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Plus, it's a good writing team and judging from some of the artwork I've seen, I think the artist will be pretty good.

The guy who wrote American Born Chinese is going to handle Superman. I might have to give it a try.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

All-New Member

I cant wait till Black Canary. My one hope though is that Starling pops up as a Supporting Character in the series though

Astonishing Member

Prez is an interesting concept and Caldwell is an amazing artist, but I don't know enough about Mark Russell for it to be an unabashed addition to my 'can't wait' list. Mark Russell the classic political satirist from the public channel?? If so, that is INTERESTING.

Otherwise I'm pumped about a lot. Section 8 is a dream come true. Yang on Superman is huge. More Tom King is, for me personally, huge (because I am really digging his work and his influences). Love Midnighter, hoping for a nice hard scifi take on him. The return of Kwitney to comics is very welcome, and so Mystic U is very cool. We are Robin looks interesting. Martian Manhunter, I expect, will be solid. Daniel Wilson did some really strong conceptual work in Earth 2, and I'm excited to see him unconstrained by the production necessities of a weekly (just look at Soule and Fawke's Wolverines; judged on that, you'd have to say they do poor work, but looking at the entire body of their output you see a different picture emerge).

But even for a lot of the stuff I'm not personally excited about - Black Canary, for instance - I am so, so pleased with the creative teams, or I think there is at least some potential there. So good on DC for it.

I'm interested in some of the new solo titles like Cyborg, Black Canary, Starfire, and Son of Batman. For the rest, I'll wait and see what other people think. I'll be trade-waiting on all of them anyways.

Ultimate Member

-Black Canary.
    -Starfire.
    -Robing: Son of Batman.
    -Dark Universe.
    -Cyborg.
    -JLA.

-Starfire
    -Black Canary
    -JLA
    -Martian Manhunter
    -Gene Yang Superman
    -Cyborg

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Starfire - Needed a major overhaul, and I think they picked the right team to do it.
    Martian Manhunter - I feel like he's often under appreciated, so I'm down for giving his book a shot.
    Justice League of America - I might trade-wait this one since it's just another Big 7 book, but I love Hitch's art.
    Black Canary - She was the female character most deserving of a solo title, in my opinion.
    Dark Universe - I actually liked JLD most of the time, so I'm just going to continue with this book.
    Dr. Fate - I'm a little bit on the fence with picking this one up since I'm not too familiar with his/her history, but I've always loved the design.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I'm excited for all of those, also. Well, maybe except for Constantine: Hellblazer, b/c I dislike the character, but I'm willing to give it a try if only b/c I love DC's mystic corner and like Rossmo's art and the idea of the 3 creators (Tynion and Doyle, also on Dark U), working close together on different titles for good consistency and synergy.

But as other are doing, I'll do my own personal Top 6:

Black Canary
    Dark Universe
    Mystic U
    Omega Men
    Superman
    We Are Robin

big honorable mention to JLA and JLU.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

All-New Member

Surprisingly, even though I've been wanting a Cybrog book since I first got into comics, the book I'm most looking forward to is Bryan Hitch's Justice League. Normally when an artist wants to write that's an immediate red flag, but Hitch isn't like other artists, he always talks about his art is always meant to tell a story, and in any of his interviews that's all he cares about. Plus he comes off as a very intelligent guy who has worked with some of the best of the best in comic books, so naturally I'm sure he's picked up some good habits. Plus hey, it's Bryan Hitch drawing the Justice League, who could say no to that?
    I'm also really looking forward to Superman, sounds like they picked a good writer. I already know the art will look good, so it's already a buy.
    Bizarro and Omega Men look like fun titles.
    Batman & Robin being turned into a Robin solo series looks like it will be very promising.

Not sure why people are so surprised about Starfire, if you've been reading Red Hood and the Outlaws you know they've been building up to this. What I don't get is why only Starfire? the whole point of that series was to take the 3 young failed and broken heroes of the DCU, have them ban together, work together to overcome their vices, and become reformed heroes who go down different paths. However it looks like Roy and Jason are still going to be broken, which is odd.
    As for Starfire's new costume, while it does reflect her being reformed, it's kinda boring. She's still a super hero, she needs something that reflects that.

Ultimate Member

Which this does. It actually kind of reminds me of her costume from the TT cartoon (intentional on the artist's part I'm sure) just modified. And quite frankly this is a godsend after that abomination that's she's been wearing in the New 52 so far. As for reflecting her "superhero status" well superhero outfits come in all shapes, sizes, and design. There is no blanket "look" that goes across the board.

All-New Member

True but there's no reason it can't look cool/heroic, it's just so underwhelming, especially for an alien.