Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Magneto #14 Review (Spoilers)

Magneto is confronted on Genosha by agents of Shield and we get an interesting battle with Magneto's flashbacks to the Genoshan genocide. The most interesting aspect of this comic is we get to see how Magneto survived the Genoshan genocide as well as many of his thoughts on it. Its been one of the more important events in Magneto's history and we have seen quite little about his overall view on it and how it effects his thinking to this point until now.

We find out that effectively his people save him by getting him to bunker during the attack and he gives up on the concept of Genosha at the very end. I am just going to assume he was killing those mutants at the end because they were fatally wounded and he had no way to save them. Magneto in the end decides to hand himself over to the agents.

In all it was a really strong issue that does a lot to set things up for coming issues and Magneto's choice at the end should have interesting consequences. The art was picture perfect for the flashback scenes.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Magneto is confronted on Genosha by agents of Shield and we get an interesting battle with Magneto's flashbacks to the Genoshan genocide. The most interesting aspect of this comic is we get to see how Magneto survived the Genoshan genocide as well as many of his thoughts on it. Its been one of the more important events in Magneto's history and we have seen quite little about his overall view on it and how it effects his thinking to this point until now.

We find out that effectively his people save him by getting him to bunker during the attack and he gives up on the concept of Genosha at the very end. I am just going to assume he was killing those mutants at the end because they were fatally wounded and he had no way to save them. Magneto in the end decides to hand himself over to the agents.

In all it was a really strong issue that does a lot to set things up for coming issues and Magneto's choice at the end should have interesting consequences. The art was picture perfect for the flashback scenes.
    So SHIELD brutally injured those mutants, or where they already hurt, or?
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    So SHIELD brutally injured those mutants, or where they already hurt, or?
    It was in the flashback. They were crushed under debris and he couldn't help them. Not that I really got that from the art.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

He may have been channelling his inner Emma word for word here.

That ending though...interesting choice. These next couple of issues are going to be interesting. Strong issue with this possibly being the strongest in the series.

Magneto making himself those leg braces was pretty crazy.

Ultimate Member

Honestly I really do wish Marvel would tone this sort of thing down. It just opens up a massive can of worms for no good reason. You could go back and forth on this forever. "Where were you when Mutants were being attacked?" "Well where were YOU when Earth was being threatened for the ten thousandth time? What it didn't directly 100% involve mutants so you guys just decided to stay home and say screw it?" It just pits the fanbases against each other in an annoying p****** contest, and the drama in no way balances out the headaches.

Maybe they'll show us a flashback as to when he met Sublime?

Magneto is such a badass. Another issue showing why he's the only mutant who's really doing everything he can to save his own people. What a good and charismatic leader.

The true savior of Mutant kind. I can't wait to see him getting his full power.

Quote Originally Posted by HankSantana View Post
    Magneto making himself those leg braces was pretty crazy.
    If it's has any decent amount of metal why not. It shows how versatile and smart a mutant he is imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Honestly I really do wish Marvel would tone this sort of thing down. It just opens up a massive can of worms for no good reason. You could go back and forth on this forever. "Where were you when Mutants were being attacked?" "Well where were YOU when Earth was being threatened for the ten thousandth time? What it didn't directly 100% involve mutants so you guys just decided to stay home and say screw it?" It just pits the fanbases against each other in an annoying p****** contest, and the drama in no way balances out the headaches.
    Seconded. It's annoying and quite frankly no one team can be all over the place imo. Mind you the writers had the Avengers treating Hank Pym like the world worst wife beater. So often they threw into his face that he hit the Wasp over and over. When he hit her once and under a lot of stress and regretted after. So expect the "where were you" bs on the part of characters to continue.
    Last edited by sureshot; 01-21-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Magneto is my Spirit Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    With respect to Mags, it's appropriate for him to express that sentiment though because it is fundamental to his ideology. Part of what made him a villain to many was precisely the fact this narrow world view that if you weren't actively helping mutants that you were part of the problem or part of the enemy.

However, the development or growth that Bunn shows here that has been missing from Mags for years is that while he may still share this world view, he finally seems to have come to terms with the fact that his methods employed in the past were perhaps counter-productive. He initially confronts SHIELD to show them that he has the power to resist and perhaps even defeat them but then instead of continuing the fight he surrenders. For someone like Mags, it's essentially an act of good faith or attempt to compromise.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    With respect to Mags, it's appropriate for him to express that sentiment though because it is fundamental to his ideology. Part of what made him a villain to many was precisely the fact this narrow world view that if you weren't actively helping mutants that you were part of the problem or part of the enemy.

However, the development or growth that Bunn shows here that has been missing from Mags for years is that while he may still share this world view, he finally seems to have come to terms with the fact that his methods employed in the past were perhaps counter-productive. He initially confronts SHIELD to show them that he has the power to resist and perhaps even defeat them but then instead of continuing the fight he surrenders. For someone like Mags, it's essentially an act of good faith or attempt to compromise.

In a weird way, Charles Xavier would've been proud of him and his actions to TRY to work out a compromise.

Another stellar issue from Bunn. I'm really enjoying this run and I hope it never ends but alas with most thing it probably will pretty soon. You know with the Secret Wars and that battleworld thing coming up after April.