Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    While I share your dislike for seeing Diana kill the Atlanteans, I do have to point out one small detail.

Diana, in both the New 52 comics and in these animated movies, has NEVER declared it her mission to forge a lasting peace. You are holding her to a standard that she has not even set for herself.

Now, bear in mind that I'm not saying it's a good thing that New 52 Diana is not on a mission of peace. It isn't. It's probably the thing I hate the most about the New 52. But in the interest of fairness, you can't accuse her of not pursuing her mission if she isn't actually ON that mission in the first place.

Now, SHOULD she be on a mission of peace? Hells yeah. And DC should be ashamed for not better maintaining that part of Diana's character.
    Hi, Vanguard! I largely checked out of DC at the close of volume 2 and plain gave up after Amazons Attack. Did Diana's mission leave the equation during that time? Or was it still around and then jettisoned in New 52?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, Vanguard! I largely checked out of DC at the close of volume 2 and plain gave up after Amazons Attack. Did Diana's mission leave the equation during that time? Or was it still around and then jettisoned in New 52?
    Hey, Stanlos!

Diana's mission of peace seemed to pretty much end at the end of the Rucka run, which saw Paradise Island ravaged by OMACS, Diana having lost the world's trust after killing Max Lord, and the Themiscyran Embassy being closed down. Nevertheless, it could still be assumed that Diana wanted to continue on her mission after that.

It was really the New 52 where that mission was completely jettisoned. In none of the books in which Diana appears has she ever said a word about being on a mission of peace. It's just not something New 52 Wonder Woman seems to be even interested in pursuing.

Brian Azzarello established in his Wonder Woman run that Diana rescued Steve Trevor from her sisters and saw him as her "ticket" (her exact words) off the island so she could go out and explore the world (and get away from her "sisters," who were treating her like crap.) She volunteered to take Steve home, and then made very little effort to visit home once she left. From there, she's pretty much just been interested in being a more generic superhero: beating up the bad guys and little else. She's also been written as having severe rage issues, which make her much more violent and willing to kill than any other member of the League.

She has been starting to improve in the comics. Geoff Johns has just mysteriously decided to start writing up her compassionate and peaceful side after three years of writing her as little more than a bloodthirsty barbarian. In the Finch Wonder Woman run, she's experiencing moments of extreme violent behavior, but the last issue saw her question why she's acting this way, so it's probably going to be revealed that something is affecting her to make her act like that.

But still, no. She has not in any way stated that she's on any kind of a mission to bring peace to the world or anything else. The New 52 has made her much more like Xena or Red Sonja than Wonder Woman. Things may be about to change, but that's the story thus far.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--