Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default I am here for a different reason . . .

My name is Jennifer and I am not a reader or collector of comics, per se. Though I do appreciate the artistry and even literary value of the medium. And because my husband grew up reading them and still enjoys one now and then, my appreciation for them has deepened. However, neither of us are what you might refer to as aficionados. I am currently looking for comics that are in great shape, yet are relatively inexpensive. The reason is I want to turn their pages into wearable art. I make jewelry, and one of my lines of creations involves turning dominoes into pendants. I have used cardstock, scrapbook paper, and paint thus far. And I think using comics in this form would be the perfect accessory for fangirls and boys. So, I need to know what to look for as far as quality. I have some Superman comics that were given to me, from the 80's. They were printed on newsprint and the colors have faded severely over the years. I would want comics where the colors are still in fairly good shape. Where you don't have to wonder if the original color was pink or peach. Newsprint comics have their appeal, of course, especially if the wearer is into vintage comics and stuff. Are there any online retailers of these you can direct me to, where they will actually show you screen shots of the pages within so I can decide if they will be worth making jewelry out of? thanks in advance for your help!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

msjennifer gets a perspective:

They were printed on newsprint and the colors have faded severely over the years.
    This is unlikely. That's simply what four-color printing looks like on newsprint. It probably looked exactly as you see it now when it was on the shelf.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

So, if you're looking for digitally printed graphics on slick, glossy stock, you're restricted more or less to the last 15 or so years to reliably expect them to look that way in person, though some TPBs, for instance, still get printed on newsprint. While I haven't shopped comprehensively online, my instinct is that any retailer who would have individual page screen-shots is very unlikely to be cheap, and for copyright reasons they won't be able to show you much.

My suggestion, browse online images of particular artists or publishers even, compile a short list of priorities about the artwork you want, and then hit up ebay or some other second-hand store for random assortments of used comics that match your general needs. You're not going to be able to use everything, but you're far more likely to get better deals on what you do find than searching for individual issues with exactly the art you want.

If you provide more information about the artistic styles you're interested in (particularly with examples), forum commenters might be able to point you in the direction of more relevant artists.

All-New Member

Well, the comics I am most interested in are the ones that are most well known. Ones that potential jewelry buyers will most readily recognize and want. DC, Marvel primarily. For that matter, even Archie Comics might work for a few pieces, but it's not what I'm going for. Comics with male and female protagonists/antagonists, whatever. There was a video game store here in my town that also sold comics that (conveniently) just closed up shop. They have a location about 45 minutes from here but it's not always convenient to get there and I drive a gas hog (that's paid for, thank god) so there's that and the time suck. Just easier to buy online if possible. I'm not one of those whose into particular artists, either. Hope that helps. Got a bit of a headache at the moment so I hope I've been clear enough.

Are you doing this as a for-profit business? If so you may run into MASSIVE trademark issues if discovered.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Are you doing this as a for-profit business? If so you may run into MASSIVE trademark issues if discovered.
    She would need to draw them herself in order to sell them for profit I believe. Like the Artist Alley people at a Comic Convention. Though I severely doubt random trinkets with sadly destroyed comic fragments would draw the ire of any comic company. Like if I taped a superman page from a comic onto my fist and stood at a streetcorner offering superman punches for a dollar, technically DC would be against that because I am using their comic page itself, but they're never going to hear about it.

And I find her username to be an odd choice, starts with a "ms" but she's married.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    And I find her username to be an odd choice, starts with a "ms" but she's married.
    Uh, that's not odd at all. There's this wacky idea that a woman's salutation should have nothing to do with their marital status, the same way "Mr." does. The idea is over 100 years old.

Look up "feminism" some time.
    Last edited by Jeff Brady; 01-26-2015 at 09:08 AM.

BANNED

Your best bet if you want the best quality is to inspect the comics yourself first. You can find lots of comic book stores that are selling unwanted old books cheap and in bulk. There's one relatively near me that sells them for a dollar a pound. Even if it requires a day trip, finding one place like that would have you set for a while.

As for the brightness, you might try experimenting with different lacquers. I met an artist once who glued her own work to wood, she used a lacquer to make it shine and be more colorful.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I have wondered if this applies to artists who do sketches on blank cover variants and then sell them for profit.

Would still like to see samples of MsJ's work
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

As far as I know, you can buy comics and other prints and chop them up and resell the work. You own the paper print and can as you please, I see people making buttons/pins with comics. People do decoupage and collage too. But if one were to start xeroxing them or printing stuff off the internet then you getting into redistribution issues.

It's only when you make reproductions that you get into trouble (though that didn't stop Lichtenstein or Warhol).

If you go into one of those "collectibles" stores that claim they sell antiques but it's all people's old junk you can sometimes find dollar comics from the year 2000 or so, those probably haven't yellowed and none are so classic anyone will mind them being cut to pieces. LOL

All-New Member

In reply to TOXIC -- happily married for 15 years, thank you very much. Still refer to myself as Ms., though. Just 'cuz I can.

Ultimate Jezebel -- I would love to share samples of my work. pm your email addie and i'll send some shots. my photog skills aren't that special, though. And I haven't made anything with the comics yet, but I hope to do so soon!

PretenderNX01 -- thanks for the clarification and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    As far as I know, you can buy comics and other prints and chop them up and resell the work. You own the paper print and can as you please, I see people making buttons/pins with comics. People do decoupage and collage too. But if one were to start xeroxing them or printing stuff off the internet then you getting into redistribution issues.

It's only when you make reproductions that you get into trouble (though that didn't stop Lichtenstein or Warhol).
    this.

this exactly.

Someone we both know, 'dox, currently has a business selling watches, clocks, and needlepoint featuring panels clipped from comics she purchases in bulk (from eBay, or 2nd hand shops).

as long as each piece is an original, made with the comic she bought (ie: she's not mass-producing copies of each piece), so the DC/Marvel lawyers would have no leg to stand on IF they tried to stop her.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

All-New Member

thanks for the input, bert! much appreciated.

Well, I did say "may" not "will", but thanks for the corrections.
    'Dox out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    As far as I know, you can buy comics and other prints and chop them up and resell the work. You own the paper print and can as you please
    I am not sure that is actual law though. Because if this were true, you could purchase different comics, cut up the pages and make a new comic out of it, and then sell it for any amount you want. And wouldn't defamation also have a stance in all this? If for example you were using the -bought- comic book pages you cut out for anything that the company does not want you to do?