Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default If Gwen Stacy were resurrected, would it make her death meaningless?

Her was death was shocking and unexpected but no. resurrected her would no make her death meaningless because it didn't have the same effect as the death of peter's uncle. This is my personal opinion.

BANNED

Her death is considered one of the most infamous cases of fridging. Maybe it meant something then, but these days, I just think her character is solely defined by having died. At least with Ben, his death was meant as a wake-up for Peter. Gwen's death is just an excuse for Peter to listen to "Crawling In My Skin" on repeat. That said, if they are interested in bringing her back, I'd be all for seeing how she could be distinguished from Ultimate Gwen and Spider-Gwen.

Probably about the same as any other character in comics who died and came back. But I think it would undercut the "Spider-Gwen" book if the 616 version came back.

(And everyone will point out the dramatic irony of reviving Gwen because Emma Stone played her in some terrible movies. But they only used Gwen in the first place because she died in the comics.)

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't think it would but I would never want Gwen to come back. What could be done with her?

I think it would be interesting to see how Gwen feels about her family basically being destroyed because of their involvement with Spider-Man. Would she end up hating Spidey, blame the villains involved instead or both?

I think stories could be told and doesn't invalidate. Jason Todd was resurrected but death in the family is still powerful

I think it'd remove meaning. It's very important that she stays dead.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Bringing back Harry was bad enough, bringing back Gwen, yes, would make her death meaningless. Uncle Ben showed Peter what happened when he did not use his spider powers responsibly. Gwen's death showed what happened when someone died specifically because Peter used his powers. While I do think that it has been referenced way too much, it is a cornerstone story in the Spiderman universe and her return would degrade a major premise of Spiderman's world. There are some people you just don't bring back to life in comics and Gwen is one of them.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

If Gwen did come back, she couldn't come back to the role she once had. Whenever any character is resurrected, they never return to what they once were, instead they take up a new role for the story. Because if they did, then the death becomes invalid.

why not. peter should have a life free of consequences. give his webbing the power to bring people back to life. make it rainbow coloured too.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    make it rainbow coloured too.
    Well, they did talk about a gay Spider-Man...

Her death was always meaningless. It was never meant to be this grand gesture that would define the transition from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age. Gerry Conway just liked Mary Jane better and found Gwen boring purely in superficial terms despite the fact that she was a better fit for Peter. So I say what I have always been saying; Bring Gwen back!
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Well, they did talk about a gay Spider-Man...
    lets see gwen deal with that when she comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    lets see gwen deal with that when she comes back.
    How Gwen Stacy Got Her Groove Back.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Her death was always meaningless. It was never meant to be this grand gesture that would define the transition from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age. Gerry Conway just liked Mary Jane better and found Gwen boring purely in superficial terms despite the fact that she was a better fit for Peter. So I say what I have always been saying; Bring Gwen back!
    The idea of killing Gwen started with John Romita, Sr. Conway preferred MJ (that is no secret), but he couldn't have done anything like that in those days without Romita's approval. (Never mind the approval of editor Roy Thomas).

It's the respect that has been granted to these creators that is a big reason why they have been so hesitant to revive Gwen. (Not to say it's absolutely impossible for 616 Gwen to come back. Deaths that Stan himself approved, such as Bucky, have been overturned.)