Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The idea of killing Gwen started with John Romita, Sr. Conway preferred MJ (that is no secret), but he couldn't have done anything like that in those days without Romita's approval. (Never mind the approval of editor Roy Thomas).

It's the respect that has been granted to these creators that is a big reason why they have been so hesitant to revive Gwen. (Not to say it's absolutely impossible for 616 Gwen to come back. Deaths that Stan himself approved, such as Bucky, have been overturned.)
    Would you argue that there's a difference in significance in the Mythos between Bucky and Gwen, though, also? I would.

BANNED

Whatever my feelings on the character, I don't think it'd be worth bringing her back. Winter Soldier worked because he'd never died to begin with. And it enriched Cap's world with potential stories.

Gwen...well, she'd really have to return with a Damn great role. And not just new old love interest. Maybe as the mayor of New York. Everyone loves a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Whatever my feelings on the character, I don't think it'd be worth bringing her back. Winter Soldier worked because he'd never died to begin with. And it enriched Cap's world with potential stories.

Gwen...well, she'd really have to return with a Damn great role. And not just new old love interest. Maybe as the mayor of New York. Everyone loves a comeback.
    I think that they could possibly bring her back in a scientist type role kind of like Oracle or Felicity Smoak have tech roles in their respective universes.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Would you argue that there's a difference in significance in the Mythos between Bucky and Gwen, though, also? I would.
    I would agree. I was merely using the history, and the respect that the creators involved invoke, to make a comparison that I don't think it's absolutely impossible for Gwen to come back. (But I admit it's rather hard to imagine outside of a line-wide reboot. And... Secret Wars doesn't sound like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I would agree. I was merely using the history, and the respect that the creators involved invoke, to make a comparison that I don't think it's absolutely impossible for Gwen to come back. (But I admit it's rather hard to imagine outside of a line-wide reboot. And... Secret Wars doesn't sound like that.)
    Oh, I agree with you on that count. I was just furthering discussion. Bucky coming back was always gonna be easier than Gwen for a lot of reasons -- though they've almost pulled the trigger on it any number of times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think that they could possibly bring her back in a scientist type role kind of like Oracle or Felicity Smoak have tech roles in their respective universes.
    I think they already have enough female scientists. If not mayor, then some kinda social crusader role also works in my head. She can be a lawyer or politician. Fighting for equality. Villains love to hate a good social crusader, and then Peter has to swing to the supposed rescue when she's dug too deep and needs to be silenced

They had their chance to tell interesting and unique stories with a Gwen when they introduced the clone. I think it'd be interesting to explore her character a la Ben Reilly, but that went through so many weird retcons I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

I think they already have enough female scientists. If not mayor, then some kinda social crusader role also works in my head. She can be a lawyer or politician. Fighting for equality. Villains love to hate a good social crusader, and then Peter has to swing to the supposed rescue when she's dug too deep and needs to be silenced
    Gwen Stacy, Social Justice Warrior.

BANNED

So like after a long and hard-fought political battle with the corrupt elements of City Hall, both sides finds their conflict at a stalemate. So Gwen Stacy, Social Justice Warrior, secretly meets in an alley away from the prying public eye with the real power behind City Hall, The Kingpin of crime, Wilson Fisk. He has his cronies lurking in the shadows; Gwen stands alone.

"I'm coming for you, Fisk."

"Miss Stacy, you certainly have come far. But you have exhausted your resources and made far too many enemies, and now have no army left to bring onto this field. Who do you possibly have left at your back?"

"I've got a guy."

And then the Spidey-face symbol lights up the ground around Gwen, chasing away the shadows.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 01-26-2015 at 12:29 AM.

God no. That's almost as bad as Sins Past.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 01-26-2015 at 12:44 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Oh, I agree with you on that count. I was just furthering discussion. Bucky coming back was always gonna be easier than Gwen for a lot of reasons -- though they've almost pulled the trigger on it any number of times.
    Every character fills a different role in a different part of the universe.

Even with the Ant-Man movie coming, and focusing on Scott Lang's status as a single father, Nick Spencer said there were numerous discussions among different people at Marvel about reviving Scott's daughter Cassie. (Spencer was able to convince Marvel editorial that Cassie needed to be revived.)

Similarly, Ed Brubaker had numerous discussions about Bucky.

It shouldn't be surprising that there have been numerous discussions about Gwen over the years. (For the record, Slott seems to have no interest in reviving Gwen. And it doesn't seem like he's leaving Spider-Man anytime soon.)

I think She-Hulk and Daredevil have that whole lawyer thing covered.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 01-26-2015 at 12:49 AM.

To be honest in answer to the OP i think you first have to consider what value you put on her death.

Do you think it should have happened No
    Do you like Mary Jane more than Gwen No
    Do you see pontential in her return Yes
    How difficult would it be for her to come back Quite Difficult
    What role would you give her (how about PA at Parker Industries, I'm stealing here but it could work right) PA at Parker Industrie
    Also those that want 616 Gwen back would you settle for the Ulimate Gwen to be brought over to the 616 universe after secret wars. Yes
    Should Peter & Gwen get back together Eventually yes
    I know my answers to the above
    Truth is the best policy

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

One could ask the question if having a character be in a reality where death is a temporary stasis that's easily remedied and instead of being final characters literally just step off to another dimension and exist as they did render a death meaningless. That said I guess suspension of disbelief and the MS3TK Mantra apply heavily to comics, in many cases more so.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I don't think it would but I would never want Gwen to come back. What could be done with her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    If Gwen did come back, she couldn't come back to the role she once had. Whenever any character is resurrected, they never return to what they once were, instead they take up a new role for the story. Because if they did, then the death becomes invalid.

After a lot of thought I have to say yes. Really what can you do with her if you brought her back? Love interest isn't going to work mainly because you'd eventually have to address Sin's Past which is in fact in continuity. Like it or not it happened it's not something you ignore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    After a lot of thought I have to say yes. Really what can you do with her if you brought her back? Love interest isn't going to work mainly because you'd eventually have to address Sin's Past which is in fact in continuity. Like it or not it happened it's not something you ignore.
    I don't think you have to ignore it. She made a mistake, life goes on. Peter killed her with his sloppy rescue, so best to say they're even and move on from it. Worst he can do is say something like he forgives her for sleeping with Norman. Gwen would be like, "Bitch, you better get to swingin'."