Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Cataloging your comics: Comic Collector Live or Collectorz?

... Or something else?

I'm looking to fully catalog my entire collection. So far I've come across http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/ and http://www.collectorz.com/comic/ but I'm not really sure which to go with.

Or do you guys have a better way of doing it?

I wish there was a site like blu-ray.com with a free catalog system for graphic novels.

There is also www.comicspriceguide.com, but they'll only let you catalogue up to 50 comics without a paid membership.

I just use a simple Excel spreadsheet.

One for singles . . .

. . . and one for collected works.

Works for me.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

I downloaded the Collectorz software to give it a spin and it seems pretty nifty. Not sure if it's worth the price, though, which seems pretty steep. Still, if you have fewer than 100 comics that you need to catalog, the free demo will work for you. It has most of the features of the unlocked software. (Going to guess that most of the folks around here own more than a hundred comics ...)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I just use a simple Excel spreadsheet.

Works for me.
    Doesn't that become a bit annoying to keep up with? Like, in the programs, you can just double click a comic and it's added but for an Excel sheet, you'd need to add a new line an type in the information yourself, even for variants.

Unless it just seems more annoying than it really is!

Some people dig that stuff!

I ... am not one of them. Let me just double click, or check a box.

There's also Stashmycomcis which is a free web-based cataloging service.

http://www.stashmycomics.com/

-M

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    Doesn't that become a bit annoying to keep up with? Like, in the programs, you can just double click a comic and it's added but for an Excel sheet, you'd need to add a new line an type in the information yourself, even for variants.

I suppose if you frequently buy a lot of stuff at one time that might be a problem. But once I got my pre-existing collection cataloged, adding new entries as I buy them doesn't take very long. Each new book takes less than a minute to add, so it's no biggie. I've used this system for maybe close to two years now, and it's been fine.
    Last edited by Michael24; 07-20-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There's also Stashmycomcis which is a free web-based cataloging service.

http://www.stashmycomics.com/

-M
    This is what I use. You can download your entire collection in Excel, too, as a back up if you're worried about losing all your data if the site should go down.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post

It's not that annoying, as long as you keep current with it. I had a bad experience with some collection tracking software a few years back, so using something as ubiquitous as a standard spreadsheet or database application is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    This is what I use. You can download your entire collection in Excel, too, as a back up if you're worried about losing all your data if the site should go down.
    Oh, this is pretty great! I think I like Collectorz a little better--I like the cover images, and I like being able to rate issues, but those aren't really features worth shelling out $50 for.

I use ComicBase by Human Computing. It is very expensive, though (I haven't upgraded in a few years because I don't buy monthlies any more, and I just enter the books as I get them.) I think they have a demo version you can try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I use ComicBase by Human Computing. It is very expensive, though (I haven't upgraded in a few years because I don't buy monthlies any more, and I just enter the books as I get them.) I think they have a demo version you can try.
    I used to use this when I had a huge collection. I think it is great.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Amazing Member

I've been using Comic Collector (by Collectorz) for a couple of years now, and I'm very happy with it. I use the $30 version, and I think the iPhone app that goes with it set me back another $10. By now, it's paid for itself, by keeping me from buying up doubles of comics I already own.

ComicBase also has some fans on this forum. I tried the demo version, and liked it just fine. But I decided against it because it was more expensive, and I didn't think I'd get much use out of the extra features.

I think both programs offer free demos. Try them out and see which you prefer.