Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why not just call Manga ''comics'' and anime ''Cartoons''?

Naming them by different names makes it sound as if they were diferent mediums. Manga and Anime are literally just the japanese words for comics and cartoons. I guess you could argue it references the specific cultural style, but then you got stuff like
    ''Batman and Son'' that is being called a Cartoon even though it was made by a japanese studio and it looks like seinen anime.

The diferences between the two are becoming less and less blury and it's starting to look even more like just a way for closeted geeks to not admit that they like watching cartoons.

I feel like by calling Manga "comics" and anime "cartoons" that would be disrespectful to the culture where they come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Naming them by different names makes it sound as if they were diferent mediums. Manga and Anime are literally just the japanese words for comics and cartoons. I guess you could argue it references the specific cultural style, but then you got stuff like
    ''Batman and Son'' that is being called a Cartoon even though it was made by a japanese studio and it looks like seinen anime.

The diferences between the two are becoming less and less blury and it's starting to look even more like just a way for closeted geeks to not admit that they like watching cartoons.
    I agree with you. And unless there's a specific reason, I do just refer to them as cartoons/animation and comics.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I once asked an acquaintance who spent a few years in Japan. He told me that in general most folk there did not make the distinction. "Family Guy" and "The Simpson's" are as much anime as "Dragonball" or "Kill La Kill." He may just be going off of a small group of folk he talked to about it of course but I found his observation interesting.

Calling anime cartoons is actually a really fun way to needle anime superfans. Not that I'm suggesting anyone should do that.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Just for specificity's sake -- the statements "I like cartoons/comics" and "I like anime/manga" mean different things for better or worse. If a Marvel/DC fan asks whether I read comics and then I start spouting off about Manga and Euro Comics, there would be a bit of a disconnect there.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I don't know, when I think about cartoons I think "for kids", and when I think anime I think "tentacles"

HA! JAU, you pervert! Tentacles is hentai.

I get that 'cartoon' has the implication of childlike/-ish. Which is why I'll say 'animation'. And so do the Japanese, except that they like their little cute diminutives, hence 'animé'*

*Source: Japanese Lit. Prof. SO.

That's a good point. When I think "cartoons", I think more Chuck Jones than Hayao Miyazaki.

Then again, Pokémon? That there's a cartoon if I ever saw one.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I couldn't help myself....
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I wonder about that sometimes, but then I think of things like what eye of all said
    Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    HA! JAU, you pervert! Tentacles is hentai.
    Knowing that hentai is the Japanese word for pervert, it makes this statement all the more amusing
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Plain and simple.

Because Japanese manga and anime are so inherently distinct and different in looks and style than American or Western (which is what we tend to refer to by default whenever we think of "cartoons", "animation", or "comics") stuff in a more collective sense that they are usually referred to by people as their own sort of separate category or medium of entertainment and not to mention they have different ways of designing, writing, and illustrating things.

Even though they're otherwise essentially the same thing. "Manga" just means "comics" in Japanese and likewise "Anime" just means "cartoons" or "animation" in Japanese.
    Last edited by Bullet Sniper; 05-15-2014 at 11:25 AM.

BANNED

Oh and I felt like posting this, since we're poking fun at the difference between american and japanese animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RhCy126RA

The only terminology that drives me batty is graphic novel. It's 22 pages of story, art, and cool paneling; it's a comic book people!

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The only terminology that drives me batty is graphic novel. It's 22 pages of story, art, and cool paneling; it's a comic book people!
    Yeah, it doesn't quite drive me up the wall, but it is a misleading term. A collection isn't a graphic novel, either. Something like Nao of Brown, a novel-length story of original content, qualifies as a "graphic novel" to me. That's obviously what the intent behind it is.

They're all comics, though. Since "Manga" is essentially the Japanese word for comics made by the Japanese, I am totally okay with its use describing comics of a Japanese origin as those comics are produced with specific cultural expectations and reception in mind. Similarly, I'm okay with the use of "bande dessinee" for comics of Franco-Belgian origin as they are produced with specific cultural expectations and reception in mind.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 05-15-2014 at 11:47 AM.