Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The only terminology that drives me batty is graphic novel. It's 22 pages of story, art, and cool paneling; it's a comic book people!
    That term is used for a 60 pages+ story on the sidelines, sometimes in continuity and other times not
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

They call it that because Japanophile like to feel special.

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

I call Anime anime, Cartoons cartoons, Comics comics and Manga manga. There's a difference for each one.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

If someone says to me that they are reading a manga or watching an anime then its pretty clear what they mean and I can therefore know what a discussion with them will entail. On it's most basic level it's simply a way to make a distinction between these two particular types of "cartoons" and "comics". That distinction has never bothered me except when some fans get it into their heads that "manga" or "anime" are far superior across the board to other examples of those two media.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Who knows. It gets even more complicated when you think about 'American' cartoons that were animated in collaboration with a Japanese studio. Shows like DuckTales, Batman: the animated series, Inspector Gadget, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, the Boondocks, and Tiny Toon Adventures. Are they anime, cartoons, American anime, etc?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The only terminology that drives me batty is graphic novel. It's 22 pages of story, art, and cool paneling; it's a comic book people!
    What if it's four hundred pages?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Who knows. It gets even more complicated when you think about 'American' cartoons that were animated in collaboration with a Japanese studio. Shows like DuckTales, Batman: the animated series, Inspector Gadget, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, the Boondocks, and Tiny Toon Adventures. Are they anime, cartoons, American anime, etc?
    If you want to go by strict definitions, then sure it's complicated, but over time there's a set of attributes that people associate with anime, and they aren't in those cartoons. The borderline examples would be stuff like Avatar the Last Airbender.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    They call it that because Japanophile like to feel special.
    That's my guess, and as a nerd who can be prickly about certain things related to my hobby I'm OK with using the terms to avoid arguments.

I would have no problem with calling them all cartoons/comics etc. However each of these words have individual connotations that have already been discussed. If everyone was on the same page it would be fine but there has been a distinction (warranted or not) that has pretty much made it so that they now have to be seperate things in order for their to be a coherent conversation. Telling someone on CBR that "I love cartoons" vs 'I love anime' brings about different images whether they should or not.

BANNED

It reminds me of the original argument on does comics count as literature?

BANNED

Manga's a style of comic, anime's a style of cartoon. One uses the terms when one wants to specify said type.

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    HA! JAU, you pervert! Tentacles is hentai.
    Personally I'd consider tentacles more ecchi than hentai, but I guess it could go either way.

Back on topic; We use those terms to denote cultural origin, the same reason we say 'Mexican Food', 'Chinese Chess', or 'Swedish Erotica'.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    We use those terms to denote cultural origin, the same reason we say 'Mexican Food', 'Chinese Chess', or 'Swedish Erotica'.
    This. Otherwise, if used to describe a particular style or tic (to the exclusion of all other styles and MOs from the same region/culture) it's just orientalism. The thing unifying manga, from Lone Wolf & Cub to Plica to One Piece, isn't big eyes or sweatdrops, it's that they're comics made in Japan (initially) for a Japanese market.

The only thing making anime, anime, is that it's cartoons made via Japan primarily for its home market. It doesn't matter what style it's animated in, how fast or slow paced it is, or whether it's two weeks old or twenty years old, or where you/I first came to see it.

As terms, they should denote region of origin/initial-market.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I use them to create a distinction. When I say 'comics' people are likely to think that I am talking about DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse or some other publisher instead of stories like One Piece, Naruto and Vagabond. However, when I say manga, people know exactly what I am referring to. If call Batman comics manga (aside from the actual Batman manga made in Japan) then people aren't going to get what I am talking about.

The same logic is applied to anime and cartoons as well. Using different terminology just makes it easier to see what you are referring to.

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

So is it safe for me to Google Swedish Erotica?
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi