Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970
Results 1,036 to 1,045 of 1045
    Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Everything around Thanos outside of the movies is a clusterfunk right now. Starlin has gone off the deep end and is going to try to make Thanos above his version of The One Above All. The Thanos ongoing went as close to full Starlin as you can go without the nuttiness that is Starlin using Thanos (and Warlock and his other selves to a lesser extent) as a placeholder for himself (note Starlin grew up in a weird and strict religious household hence stories like Infinity Crusade and the Universal Church of Truth and Starlin's stand in in Thanos becoming "god" all the time with the only way he can lose being to himself).

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Everything around Thanos outside of the movies is a clusterfunk right now. Starlin has gone off the deep end and is going to try to make Thanos above his version of The One Above All. The Thanos ongoing went as close to full Starlin as you can go without the nuttiness that is Starlin using Thanos (and Warlock and his other selves to a lesser extent) as a placeholder for himself (note Starlin grew up in a weird and strict religious household hence stories like Infinity Crusade and the Universal Church of Truth and Starlin's stand in in Thanos becoming "god" all the time with the only way he can lose being to himself).
    Ahahahah. Again with the ''Thanos is an invincible Mary Sue'' crap? It's almost as cliché as ''Thanos is a Darkseid ripoff''.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Ahahahah. Again with the ''Thanos is an invincible Mary Sue'' crap? It's almost as cliché as ''Thanos is a Darkseid ripoff''.
    And to continue, even the worst Starlin comic is more enjoyable than the thuggish, overexposed Thanos made by Marvel's editors.

On the other hand, it's true that the Universal Church of Truth was inspired by Starlin's bad experience with the religious School. Starlin used Thanos and Warlock as tools to explore themes he likes and the weird stuff in his own psyche
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 11-29-2018 at 04:37 AM.

Also, you can try to synthesize what makes Thanos unique by listing Starlin's own ingredients - a little bit of the 60s counterculture, replete with a dash of Eastern mysticism and psychedelic New Age Carlos Castaneda-isms; a strict Catholic upbringing seasoned by sexual conflict and morbid fascinations; the heavy influence of military service in Vietnam and subsequent disillusionment. Jack Kirby served in World War II so it should come as no surprise that his cosmology was essentially Manichean: he didn't glamorize war, but he presented a world where the inevitability of war was the greatest tragedy, and one in which the unbending strength and temptation of evil remains the greatest threat, much like in Tolkien stories. Starlin fought in Vietnam, and therefore his signature villain/anti-hero is a nihilist, someone who will go far to avoid a fight he judges to be unproductive, but who will turn and fight to the death for no reason greater than his own personal edification and self-regard. (There's a great bit in the otherwise forgettable "Blood and Thunder" crossover where Thanos goes to Asgard and ends up in a fight with Odin not because he needs to fight Odin - rather, he needs Odin's help - but because he wants to prove he can kick Odin's ass.)
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-11-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bandoogiemanz View Post
    I thought I was the only one who thought that scene with doom and thanos from a character standpoint was utter garbage. I dont like this new Thanos. As a fan of starlin and the gauntlet, it just seems like alot of regression. I remember reading marvel the end and thinking how beautiful a story it was. When least expected, what Thanos had sought after most, he finally found(Death's approval.) And, the ultimate destroyer became the ultimate healer.
    I agree. Thuggish Thanos is basically Mongul or Blastaar with Thanos colors slapped over them and peppered with edgy gore. Not the same character at all. Bendis is still the worst imo, his use of Thanos as a mustache twirling dumbass with guns who gets punked by Namor and the Thing is pretty infuriating. At least Hickman gave Thanos the nice feat of tanking Black Bolt's screams at point blank.

It's a real shame Marvel editorial and writers are unable to respect Thanos like Doctor Doom and Magneto. Maybe because he's not a Lee/Kirby creation?
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-31-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I agree. Thuggish Thanos is basically Mongul or Blastaar with Thanos colors slapped over them and peppered with edgy gore. Not the same character at all. Bendis is still the worst imo, his use of Thanos as a mustache twirling dumbass with guns who gets punked by Namor and the Thing is pretty infuriating. At least Hickman gave Thanos the nice feat of tanking Black Bolt's screams at point blank.

It's a real shame Marvel editorial and writers are unable to respect Thanos like Doctor Doom and Magneto. Maybe because he's not a Lee/Kirby creation?
    Ι don't think it's disrespect,but more of inability to use him in a creative way. Characters like Thanos are like an expensive wine or a years old whiskey. You must enjoy them rarely and in certain moments. Thanos reached his peak in Infinity Gauntlet and he had his ups and down until Annihilation,an event who probably gave him a perfect closure. Unfortunately, the plans of using Thanos in MCU made Marvel and Disney executives to use him everywhere,to the point that Thanos lost his mega-villain charm and unique traits. He is now,what Venom was in 90s or what Wolverine was, a victim of his own popularity and corporate greed.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Ι don't think it's disrespect,but more of inability to use him in a creative way. Characters like Thanos are like an expensive wine or a years old whiskey. You must enjoy them rarely and in certain moments. Thanos reached his peak in Infinity Gauntlet and he had his ups and down until Annihilation,an event who probably gave him a perfect closure. Unfortunately, the plans of using Thanos in MCU made Marvel and Disney executives to use him everywhere,to the point that Thanos lost his mega-villain charm and unique traits. He is now,what Venom was in 90s or what Wolverine was, a victim of his own popularity and corporate greed.
    Thanos wasn't really a villain anymore after Infinity Gauntlet.

I think Thanos best ending was in The End.

Here are my thoughts on a way to restore Thanos closer to Starlin's conception, while at the same time restoring Mar-Vell:
    When first meeting Mar-Vell, Thanos was courting Death, preparing to sacrifice millions in honour of her. What he was not aware of was that while he was in love with Death, Mar-Vell caught Death's eye. In fact, those events led to Mar-Vell's own untimely death due to the toxins ingested in his bout with Nitro and the cancer that followed. When Mar-Vell died he in fact embraced Death for what it was, not for the illusion Thanos had of it.

While, at the time Thanos thought this was merely Death embracing Mar-Vell into her fold, he was unaware that SHE had CHOSEN Mar-Vell as her CONSORT, a fact that Thanos has only recently come to discover. The fun then begins how he'll react

BANNED

IMO some great thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by nadler View Post
    Here are my thoughts on a way to restore Thanos closer to Starlin's conception, while at the same time restoring Mar-Vell:
    When first meeting Mar-Vell, Thanos was courting Death, preparing to sacrifice millions in honour of her. What he was not aware of was that while he was in love with Death, Mar-Vell caught Death's eye. In fact, those events led to Mar-Vell's own untimely death due to the toxins ingested in his bout with Nitro and the cancer that followed. When Mar-Vell died he in fact embraced Death for what it was, not for the illusion Thanos had of it.

While, at the time Thanos thought this was merely Death embracing Mar-Vell into her fold, he was unaware that SHE had CHOSEN Mar-Vell as her CONSORT, a fact that Thanos has only recently come to discover. The fun then begins how he'll react
    I think there should be a cosmic event with the return of the Thanosi clones to explain the bad characterisation and jobbing moments. And the mastermind behind the return of the Thanosi is the death god Walker (from Peter David's Captain Marvel run), Who disguised himself as the scantly clad version of Mistress Death and manipulated the real Thanos with fake memories (Thanos Rising) in order to make him more violent, stupid and miserable in order to destroy his spirit before moving to his ultimate goal of eliminating the real Mistress Death and take her place.