Super Moderator

Default "Gotham" Casts Colm Feore as Villainous Dollmaker

The Dollmaker, referred to in an early episode of the pre-Batman series, joins the show's growing roster of villains.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I don't really know him but he's done some comic book inspired projects before
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0272173/

I guess the Barton Mathis version of Dollmaker saw his father shot by a young James Gordon so that's how they can tie him in with pre-Batman stories.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollmak...#Barton_Mathis

Wiki claims the Gotham one will be named Dr. Dulmacher which is a little on the nose but so is Harleen Quinzel being Harley Quinn and Victor Friese being Mr Freeze.
    We'll have to see when the ep airs if his name stays that way. Still it doesn't contradict "Arrow" for any fans who want to believe Gotham might exist in the same universe though I doubt we'll get any crossover with FOX and CW.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 01-26-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I don't really know him but he's done some comic book inspired projects before
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0272173/

I guess the Barton Mathis version of Dollmaker saw his father shot by a young James Gordon so that's how they can tie him in with pre-Batman stories.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollmak...#Barton_Mathis

Wiki claims the Gotham one will be named Dr. Dulmacher which is a little on the nose but so is Harleen Quinzel being Harley Quinn and Victor Friese being Mr Freeze.
    We'll have to see when the ep airs if his name stays that way. Still it doesn't contradict "Arrow" for any fans who want to believe Gotham might exist in the same universe though I doubt we'll get any crossover with FOX and CW.
    What I'm wondering is this: is the Dollmaker meant to be Professor Pyg, who made people into dolls, an original villain, for Gotham, or another foe/character altogether?

Know him mainly from Revolution and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Now that I look up his Spidey character, Donald Menken, left thinking how little hair he has in the film, compared to the comic character. And still don't think Harry'd be willing to work with him, if he is indeed the Vulture, and it's he and Fliers who are forming the Sinister Six.

Surprised he was in Thor.

Mighty Member

Ugh, why are they pushing one of the many, forgettable, failed villains from the Nu52 into so much stuff lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    What I'm wondering is this: is the Dollmaker meant to be Professor Pyg, who made people into dolls, an original villain, for Gotham, or another foe/character altogether?

Know him mainly from Revolution and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Now that I look up his Spidey character, Donald Menken, left thinking how little hair he has in the film, compared to the comic character. And still don't think Harry'd be willing to work with him, if he is indeed the Vulture, and it's he and Fliers who are forming the Sinister Six.

Surprised he was in Thor.
    It's Dollmaker from the first arc of Daniel's Detective Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Ugh, why are they pushing one of the many, forgettable, failed villains from the Nu52 into so much stuff lately?
    That's what I was thinking!

In any case, nabbing Colm Feore for a role (and could it be recurring?) is a coup for the show. I'm hoping he shares some scenes with Jada Pinkett Smith, the show's other major get.

However, more generally speaking, I've been getting bored with the show. I wouldn't believe it considering the number of really impressive veterans they had cast (MacKenzie, Smith, Logue, Pertwee). The show has a strong cast but ho-hum writing imo, though a few changes to writing style here and there will probably keep me on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    In any case, nabbing Colm Feore for a role (and could it be recurring?) is a coup for the show. I'm hoping he shares some scenes with Jada Pinkett Smith, the show's other major get.

However, more generally speaking, I've been getting bored with the show. I wouldn't believe it considering the number of really impressive veterans they had cast (MacKenzie, Smith, Logue, Pertwee). The show has a strong cast but ho-hum writing imo, though a few changes to writing style here and there will probably keep me on board.
    Regardless of how you feel about the show at the moment, I, and I'm sure many others, like Pretender, Jim Kelly, Andrew Crosset, AJBopp, Zorkel and more, would be very happy to see you in the Gotham thread here.

I agree with you there, Smith or Feore - though I hope I won't want to see him dead again, as in TASM 2! Least, unlike the actor portraying the Magister in True Blood, have only wanted to see him dead there - not even knowing he was the Frost Giant, King Laufey, in Thor!

weezer#17 - what the story with the Dollmaker? From what I read here, he's a fairly recent villain, starting either 2011, or later, compared to far older foes, like Catwoman, or Joker, especially.

And, to you, does Feore fit as him?

BANNED

Surprised to see him cast in gotham. He was great in TASM 2

weezer#17 - what the story with the Dollmaker? From what I read here, he's a fairly recent villain, starting either 2011, or later, compared to far older foes, like Catwoman, or Joker, especially.

And, to you, does Feore fit as him?
    If it gives you any indication as to the quality of the character, I really don't remember much about him, except that I didn't really like him. He was a serial killer of some sorts who mixes around people's skins and faces; as mentioned previously he was the one that cut off the Joker's face and that is his sort of claim-to-fame in the New 52. To be honest, for all the negative reviews it got, I didn't really find Tony Daniel's Detective Comics all that bad, and although Dollmaker seemed like a real cookie-cutter nutjob at the time (and still), I did find the story somewhat interesting. You can read the whole thing in the first TPB of Detective Comics if you're interested; Dollmaker only appeared in like three issues, and soon after I left the title because of money.

As for Colm Feore, I actually haven't seen a lot of him, except for his appearances in Thor and TASM. No complaints with his performances there! Dollmaker isn't really that fleshed out (no pun intended) in the source material, so I'm not too picky about how he'll be portrayed in the show. Maybe they can do something interesting with him!

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    If it gives you any indication as to the quality of the character, I really don't remember much about him, except that I didn't really like him. He was a serial killer of some sorts who mixes around people's skins and faces; as mentioned previously he was the one that cut off the Joker's face and that is his sort of claim-to-fame in the New 52. To be honest, for all the negative reviews it got, I didn't really find Tony Daniel's Detective Comics all that bad, and although Dollmaker seemed like a real cookie-cutter nutjob at the time (and still), I did find the story somewhat interesting. You can read the whole thing in the first TPB of Detective Comics if you're interested; Dollmaker only appeared in like three issues, and soon after I left the title because of money.

As for Colm Feore, I actually haven't seen a lot of him, except for his appearances in Thor and TASM. No complaints with his performances there! Dollmaker isn't really that fleshed out (no pun intended) in the source material, so I'm not too picky about how he'll be portrayed in the show. Maybe they can do something interesting with him!
    Alright, thank you very much for the response.

I appreciate it. Makes sense, yes. Sounds more Hannibal than Gotham, to me, and hope it adds a nice chill, and scare, to Gotham, without too much grossness, or anything.

Ah, that's a shame. Ever get back to Detective Comics, or that particular arc?

Alright, thank you very much for the response.

I appreciate it. Makes sense, yes. Sounds more Hannibal than Gotham, to me, and hope it adds a nice chill, and scare, to Gotham, without too much grossness, or anything.

Ah, that's a shame. Ever get back to Detective Comics, or that particular arc?
    You know, it's funny, after typing that reply to you earlier today, I got to thinking about that arc some more and I pulled it out and reread it all, and now I've been thinking that maybe I'll finish what I started in the trades! Can't say if they get any better or worse, but I won't know until I try! Plus, I'm usually in the camp that enjoys Tony Daniel's art, and I remember his work being pretty strong when he was writing Detective. Sometimes some great visuals are enough to try a run out and see it through to the end IMO!

Nobody likes the Dollmaker, and isn't he already Menken and Laufey?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I can't speak for why he was in Arrow but he makes sense for "Gotham" as the character is said to have a past interaction with Gordon so this is that.
    They can't use too many of Batman's rogues but they can tweak one that's said to have been around for a while. Even if his MO may be different.

I'm curious what he was kidnapping the kids for that Selena got mixed up in and what Trident Corp is up to.